Which way? Uphill.

5 MPH Speed Limit for Bikes

Man am I glad I graduated before they started this.
    5 MPH Speed Limit at CU

I just wonder what was the incident that caused this knee jerk reaction?

Now the question of will they enforce it?

Alright, let's here all the people come out and start ripping the politics of Boulder now. I'm guessing a 2 more posts before there is a crack about hippies.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Now the question of will they enforce it?
    I know! I heard about this on the radio this morning. Supposedly, CU security are going to purchase radar guns to enforce the limit.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would say this is the opposite of Hippie reaction and definitely a reaction by authorities to extract more revenue from citizens - like other speed traps. Artificially low speed limits and enforcement are not about safety - but cash. They always claim it's about safety, but the speed limits were instituted because of gas shortages, not safety concerns. Besides, slower rate of speed doesn't always equal safety. I'm sure we've all heard about raising the speed limit on major highways to 75mph from 65mph and deaths actually went down... Cars are faster and have better safety features than in the past, but people forget that speed limits had NOTHING to do with safety originally. There was a gas shortage. When the shortage went away, the speed limits stayed because they generated a ton of money for towns. My guess is that some new person at CU security transferred from some other school where they were making tons of cash writing tickets for bike speeding. It's obviously a right-wing conspiracy for control, man...

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    I know! I heard about this on the radio this morning. Supposedly, CU security are going to purchase radar guns to enforce the limit.
    So CU cyclists, the majority of which likely do not own bike computers and none which have an accurate way display their instantaneous speed, are going to be ticketed by CU security guards wielding very accurate radar guns? Something is not adding up here since it's impossible for a rider to discern between 5mph and 6mph without some measurement tool, e.g. a speedometer that's accurate to such low speeds. And if a cyclist is going 6 mph, they are technically exceeding the speed limit by 20%... not exactly a small difference.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Inflexable...
    We should send Nick to out-nerd the hippies...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

skillz to pay billz
    If you're falling over from going too slow, you should be safely under the limit

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I would say this is the opposite of Hippie reaction and definitely a reaction by authorities to extract more revenue from citizens - like other speed traps. Artificially low speed limits and enforcement are not about safety - but cash. They always claim it's about safety, but the speed limits were instituted because of gas shortages, not safety concerns. Besides, slower rate of speed doesn't always equal safety. I'm sure we've all heard about raising the speed limit on major highways to 75mph from 65mph and deaths actually went down... Cars are faster and have better safety features than in the past, but people forget that speed limits had NOTHING to do with safety originally. There was a gas shortage. When the shortage went away, the speed limits stayed because they generated a ton of money for towns. My guess is that some new person at CU security transferred from some other school where they were making tons of cash writing tickets for bike speeding. It's obviously a right-wing conspiracy for control, man...
    Fining college students for cash revenue, now that's trying to get blood from a stone there. I was so incredibly poor during college, my bike was stolen from campus and it took me until I graduated and found a job to have enough cash to replace it, about two years later.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think they should ban bikes completely in all of Boulder County.

Rolling
    (edit: Nickle, I basically repeated your post since I didn't read it like I should have).

I read this article and I ride through campus on my way to work almost daily. The point where I have to worry about this is by the Fisk Planetarium where I get on sidewalks to get to Broadway--these walks fall under the 5 mph limit.

But just like the bootlegging in Utah thread, I feel there are some issues.

1. What extent if they get radar guns will they enforce it? 6MPH?
    2. Does that mean I will be required to have a calibrated cyclocomputer so I have a right to know my speed to stay within he limit? How can a cop dictate that I am speeding 1 mph over the limit and hold me to it when I can't even tell?

Seems like they can only give warnings.

It seems to me, it's a rule that they hope it detours a lot of the people riding too fast in, around and between people walking. This has been and is a problem on the busy walkways, most of which already ban skateboards and rollerskates.

The path along Broadway better remain 15 mph or I'm going to be a little annoyed--I mean very annoyed.

The one rule I do agree on is limiting bikes in crossing the crosswalks at walking speed. Cars approaching the cross walk cannot react to a 10+ mph cyclist entering the walk. A coworkers son got hit a few weeks ago trying to cross one. He was put in the hospital and given a ticket because he admitted to riding about 15 mph. I guess you deserve a Darwin award when you enter a crosswalk on a bike going any speed when you assume the car will stop.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.

PDB
    SUFD
    Way back in the mid 90's - when I was in College -
    I averaged 1-2 law enforcement confrontations per year - twice resulting in a moving violation. Occasionally they were justified (passing a car while in on the double yellow in a 15mph zone while going 40), but they were usually flagrantly applied to myself and other members of the college team. Getting pulled over for "blocking traffic" (group rides) or for riding a couple of miles an hour of the speed limit (less than 5)
    This was at Indiana University (the most cycling friendly place in the midwest). Most anyone who went to school here (and was an avid roadie) has experienced this themselves or had a friend who had a "conversation" with the campus police.

I'm not saying I agree with this policy or not (this won't apply to bike lanes or streets)... but the thread brought up some good old college cycling memories (like getting put in jail the night before regionals at Ohio).
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    (edit: Nickle, I basically repeated your post since I didn't read it like I should have).
    Meh, yours is written better than mine anyway.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Do you know how FAST 5mph feels after 2 or 3 big pulls off a 3' tube? I don't see this being a problem in Boulder.

gravity curmudgeon
    I love how "hippies" (whatever that is supposed to mean in 2008) get blamed for things in Boulder. Folks, Boulder and CU are controlled by conservatives and $$$$. The last CU president was a former Republican US Senator. The current CU president was head of the CO Republican Party, ran for governor as a Republican, was involved with Romney's presidential bid, and owns his own oil company. Hippies? Come on. Boulder in 2008 still has a few people from the old days, but the power in that community shifted way right many years back. Only a few hippy-like people are kept around as circus entertainment.

Back to the topic. This is nuts. I am a CU alumni and work on a University campus. If they have time to enforce something this silly, they need a good hard audit.

skillz to pay billz
    It's true, hippies can't afford boulder. They're all up here is Ned.

mtbr member
    Would I get a ticket if I pushed my bike faster than 5mph?
    Would I get a ticket if I could out-pedal the pursuer?

I see possibilities for new grass root races forming here....

Inflexable...
    What if everyone rode at 10 mph. Who are they going to stop?

This calls for civil disobedience!...

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Would I get a ticket if I pushed my bike faster than 5mph?
    Would I get a ticket if I could out-pedal the pursuer?

I see possibilities for new grass root races forming here....
    It's CU, they've probably already purchased a helicopter to help with enforcement. Now I wonder if they can start throwing down spike strips during a chase? (Time to stock up on Stan's)

Oh, So Interesting!
    It seems to me, it's a rule that they hope it detours a lot of the people riding too fast in, around and between people walking. This has been and is a problem on the busy walkways, most of which already ban skateboards and rollerskates...
    Yup, theres a ton of douches at CU who think its ok to ride their bikes through dense crowds of people at speeds that are percieved as excessive by most pedestrians. Many times, this is not on a designated bike lane or road, where pedestrians should have the right to walk without lots of near misses by these idiots.

Please, if you go to CU, ride your bike there and park it. You don't need a bike to get from class to class %99 of the time. If you ride across campus, use the bike lanes and/or roads. Don't cut through pedestrian walkways to shave 30 seconds off your trip.

This is nobody's fault but these inconsiderate riders, and most students at CU hate these people. If the 5 mph limit does not apply to roads and bike lanes, then I'm all for it.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

what nice teeth you have
    Laws like this can and do discourage people from riding their bikes. Which is unfortunate. You want people to commute on bikes b/c it reduces congestion, pollution, is good for your.... I could see a cop being justified for ticketing someone for buzzing the pedestrians, something that is totally unacceptable. Its when they start handing out tickets for speeding and no one is around it just discourages students from riding. I am involved with a student org on campus that deals with cycling advocacy and one of the biggest complaints we get is the campus police handing out tickets for really dumb stuff.

Rolling

Inflexable...
    So we have about two arbitrary units to wait before no one really cares anymore...

skillz to pay billz
    I'm ahead of the curve

mtbr member
    I bet it was one of those crazy kids riding one of those new fangled fixie bikes without a front brake that brought this about. Those guys are such rebels.

i took the wheels home
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    I bet it was one of those crazy kids riding one of those new fangled fixie bikes without a front brake that brought this about. Those guys are such rebels.
    Please- they prefer the term "hipster." Riding fixie makes them "part of the "scene." Whatever scene that is I don't know.

On a more serious note- maybe people walking in the bike lanes around the CU campus could use a little more caution and leave the bike lanes open for bikers and walk in/on the sidewalk designated for them. This would also reduce the number of biker/sorority girl collisions.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-Spokes
    . This would also reduce the number of biker/sorority girl collisions.

Hard to avoid hitting those tri-delt girls.

mtbr member
    This reminds me of seeing a cop sitting on a motorcycle in Wash Park radar-ing passing cyclists last summer. I thought it was strange.

When I was in college, everyone griped about the bikers on campus (University of Oklahoma) but from what I could tell, most bikers paid alot more attention to what was going on than the morons walking around campus who would always walk in the bike lanes and arbitrarily make sudden changes of direction resulting in mishaps. I cant count the number of times I would be riding towards a group of peds and slow down because I could tell that they had absolutely no idea what was going on around them.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-Spokes
    On a more serious note- maybe people walking in the bike lanes around the CU campus could use a little more caution and leave the bike lanes open for bikers and walk in/on the sidewalk designated for them. This would also reduce the number of biker/sorority girl collisions.
    I agree... when I was in Germany last winter the peds would be at fault, and liable for any injuries, if a bike hit them on the bike path. Great law, and peds stayed out of the way People in Boulder and around CU in particular seem completely unaware of walking in a bike lane. Not that people in Boulder are self-absorbed or anything....

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I agree... when I was in Germany last winter the peds would be at fault, and liable for any injuries, if a bike hit them on the bike path. Great law, and peds stayed out of the way People in Boulder and around CU in particular seem completely unaware of walking in a bike lane. Not that people in Boulder are self-absorbed or anything....
    On that note...by CU and Broadway, the very wide path is clearly marked with peds, and bikes. Crazy but people still can't figure it out.

If bikes rode faster on the bike lanes, I bet people would figure it out sooner when they got ran over. We need to incorporate the theory of negative reinforcement learning over the theory of lawsuits. Over the time of life on the planet, I think this has been the better method.

Living the High Life
    I didn't go to CU, I went to UW-Madison, and we had an infestation of mopeds where there were supposed to be bikes. There was a huge backlash from peds and bikes against mopeds and the city began enforcing laws on them.

What I'm getting at is someone going too fast in another group is just rude and dangerous. If people are riding bikes at even 10 mph through a crowd, its just being a d!ck.

Oh, and hippies suck, trust fund babies suck, hipsters suck, you suck

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not to confuse anyone with the truth, but they are not talking about the bike lanes or even the roads through campus. They are talking about the walkways in the heart of campus, many of which were once dismount zones. The rule applies to pedestrians and skateboarders, as well.

Carry on.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    What I'm getting at is someone going too fast in another group is just rude and dangerous. If people are riding bikes at even 10 mph through a crowd, its just being a d!ck.

Well said.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

gravity curmudgeon
    I went to UW-Madison ...

Oh, and hippies suck, trust fund babies suck, hipsters suck, you suck
    But that's only about 0.005% of the US population. If you're going to get good at the you suck stuff, you'll have to be more inclusive. This is a classic liberal problem. Liberal schools like UW-Mad just aren't good enough at teaching their students how to more widely denounce others. If you can't swat away a good 50% or greater in a quick blurb, you just aren't going to make the news in support of a personal agenda.

Darn liberals just don't get it.

If we can just get a good wedge of the far right into academia, all of these issues will go away.

Living the High Life
    All right, let me try again,

people with gas guzzling SUVs suck, people with too many kids suck, racist people suck, people who went to college and got a liberal arts degree suck, people who watch American Idol suck...am I getting better?

Did I offend enough people?

Your retarded
    All right, let me try again,

people with gas guzzling SUVs suck, people with too many kids suck, racist people suck, people who went to college and got a liberal arts degree suck, people who watch American Idol suck...am I getting better?

Did I offend enough people?
    You forgot a very common one: people who ride different than I do suck.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by EJP
    Not to confuse anyone with the truth, but they are not talking about the bike lanes or even the roads through campus. They are talking about the walkways in the heart of campus, many of which were once dismount zones. The rule applies to pedestrians and skateboarders, as well.

Carry on.

They talked about all of it.

-The roads have a speed limit of the cars.
    -The paths have a 15 mph limit (same as boulder, in fact, many people technically speed coming down the creek path).
    -The walkways have 5 mph limit.
    -The crosswalks have a 3 mph limit.

Most walkways deep in campus have a NO skate zone, yet bikes are allowed.

I don't know what the speed limit is in the dorm halls.

skillz to pay billz

I don't know what the speed limit is in the dorm halls.
    probably like 5-6 bumps

mtbr member

DC Letters to the Ed 4/7/8

Dedicated to pedestrian safety

We were happy to see Brittany Anas' April 6 article related to pedestrian safety at CU. This is an important issue for our campus and we've been working hard to improve sidewalk safety and allow for a multitude of travel modes including bikes, skateboards and walking. We would like to clarify some important facts.

The new 5 mph speed limit does not apply to every sidewalk on campus but only those designated as pedestrian safety zones. Pedestrian safety zones have been established to reduce the risk of injury to pedestrians, skateboarders and bicyclists along CU-Boulder's sidewalks. Currently marked as "dismount zones," pedestrian safety zones are portions of the CU-Boulder sidewalk system where bicycle riding, skateboarding and personal transportation devices are restricted. New signs will replace the "dismount zone" markings.

The 5 mph speed limit within pedestrian safety zones is in effect between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday except during class change periods. During class change periods, bicyclists, skateboarders and persons using personal transportation devices must dismount or not exceed 5 mph.

Our effort to improve safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and skateboarders is not limited to non-auto modes. The permissible speed for motor vehicles on campus sidewalks is 5 mph except at class change periods when driving is not allowed. We've worked with other campus departments to reduce the number of permits that allow sidewalk driving and parking. We have also created new service vehicle parking spaces away from sidewalks.

Biking and skateboarding are travel choices we support. Among our peers we rank very high in trips made to and from campus without the use of an auto, and we will continue to take steps that reduce single occupancy vehicle trips to campus. Our overall success in making CU a safer place for everyone relies not on a set of increasingly restrictive regulations. Instead, success will come when each person decides to act responsibly no matter how they travel to and through CU.

CASEY JONES

Director, Parking

& Transportation Services,

University of Colorado, Boulder
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OK, I'll say it.

Casey Jones says you'd better
    watch yer speed.

I thought it was a joke, too, 'til I looked it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hahahaha, this rule is soo dumb. if they pull flag me down im just gona go faster, hope they understand that....

Gone Bamboo
    Yes seriously, now all we need to do is carry a handcannon too so when they flag us over we flag them out for good.

This Two Faced Lying Commi BullSh*T is going to stop, whether these Lunatics like it or not. F-ing ReDucklican'ts where d = f and a = u. Stupid Commis piss me off.

The problem is that no one cares about rules, because they are made to be broken and should be at all times. NO one should consider anything while riding a bike but THEMSELVES. That is how everyone rides, they are being aware of Themselves and Cars, the things that can hurt them. Not the Peds who can EASILY avoid a bike if they aren't oblivious idiots like people in my state are. What people do when they are judging the streets is judging how fast they can safetly go, FAST. Not Slow. Of course we avoid hitting peds and anyone who doesn't should be ticketed but this other BS is just Crap and can be ignored. I tell ya, CO is a horrible horrible state. Not even talking about how horrible the rest of this country currently is. Damn commi's infest everything. Anything Good for us is Bad for them, so they change it.

Whats bad for us is good for them. My Motto for this country is "When we kill you, we make money!" so they kill as many of us as they can with anything they can do it with. Chemicals, Collisions, etc etc etc, all while taxing us for every bit of life. Eating, sleeping, crapping, working, taxed for food, our income is taxed, our deaths are taxed our LIVES are taxed. Our ancestors fought because TEA was taxed. PFfff we can't even do anything now'a'days. Its all restricted. You either become a brainwashed slave, work and die, or become an outcast bent on not living in society. Atleast this one. Also, The Federal Reserve is anti-consitutional and shouldn't even exist, just like the income tax. For 90+ years we've been out of bounds of the constitution to the point where the weirdo from 80's HS can become a cop and murder, rob, mug, rape, and commit any crime he wishes on citizens for the "betterment of revenue for the state". They care not about us, but about this valueless money (its not backed by gold anymore, also anti-consitutional) is devaluing even further. No I won't let you buy my Life Time for a dollar worth nothing and .50 cents. F that. F these rules, F commi's in the USSRA.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by UmbrousSoul
    Yes seriously, now all we need to do is carry a handcannon too so when they flag us over we flag them out for good.

This Two Faced Lying Commi BullSh*T is going to stop, whether these Lunatics like it or not. F-ing ReDucklican'ts where d = f and a = u. Stupid Commis piss me off.

The problem is that no one cares about rules, because they are made to be broken and should be at all times. NO one should consider anything while riding a bike but THEMSELVES. That is how everyone rides, they are being aware of Themselves and Cars, the things that can hurt them. Not the Peds who can EASILY avoid a bike if they aren't oblivious idiots like people in my state are. What people do when they are judging the streets is judging how fast they can safetly go, FAST. Not Slow. Of course we avoid hitting peds and anyone who doesn't should be ticketed but this other BS is just Crap and can be ignored. I tell ya, CO is a horrible horrible state. Not even talking about how horrible the rest of this country currently is. Damn commi's infest everything. Anything Good for us is Bad for them, so they change it.

Whats bad for us is good for them. My Motto for this country is "When we kill you, we make money!" so they kill as many of us as they can with anything they can do it with. Chemicals, Collisions, etc etc etc, all while taxing us for every bit of life. Eating, sleeping, crapping, working, taxed for food, our income is taxed, our deaths are taxed our LIVES are taxed. Our ancestors fought because TEA was taxed. PFfff we can't even do anything now'a'days. Its all restricted. You either become a brainwashed slave, work and die, or become an outcast bent on not living in society. Atleast this one. Also, The Federal Reserve is anti-consitutional and shouldn't even exist, just like the income tax. For 90+ years we've been out of bounds of the constitution to the point where the weirdo from 80's HS can become a cop and murder, rob, mug, rape, and commit any crime he wishes on citizens for the "betterment of revenue for the state". They care not about us, but about this valueless money (its not backed by gold anymore, also anti-consitutional) is devaluing even further. No I won't let you buy my Life Time for a dollar worth nothing and .50 cents. F that. F these rules, F commi's in the USSRA.

Drugs are bad, mmmmmmkay?

http://web4health.info/en/answers/ad...s-paranoia.htm

Gone Bamboo
    Get back in your futurama head tank so I can feed you shrimp pellets.

And to the lower post, then you clearly don't even know any of my threads or posts. You're just trolling someone who is defending themself, anyone who DOESN'T think this country is F-ed is a commi aswell.

Enjoy it you redcoats.
    Last edited by UmbrousSoul; 04-10-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Living the High Life
    I think I've only seen Umbrous out trolling....

mtbr member

Going The Wrong Way....

So just another law for lack of common sence and too many coffee and dognuts. Bikes must go where it is 'relatively safer'. The streets are owned by peeps driving with one eye, both hands tied behind their backs, unable to keep a prius off the center line, beating the kids in the rear seat, shaving, eating cereal, shifting with their left nut....... So what is a bike to do but ride the sidewalks?

So officer Paunch enforce safety on the streets, bring back public hangings for DUI, and when I am riding at 6.25 MPH in the Peebles RepubliX you will have to spend fewer hours attempting to enforce this silly little unenforceable addition to the "law books".

Oh and its like posting here and waiting for our secret Trolls to fllame. Nickle any idea?

JW
    C.SPRINGS

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I think they should ban bikes completely in all of Boulder County.
    I thought they already did.

Gone Bamboo
    I say they go ahead and ban people in america and start slaughtering us already.

surfer w/out waves
    Quote Originally Posted by UmbrousSoul
    I say they go ahead and ban people in america and start slaughtering us already.
    I second that...

the other day I was on patrol thru a "gated community" ... and I noticed the speed limit signs were all 23 mph... WTF? If you think I'm gonna right someone a ticket for going speeding in a "23" mph zone your fcking nuts!!! I would've loved to sit in on that HOA meeting while 97 yoa Agnus Bandersnoot argues that 25mph is waaaaay to fast

I think there is more reasons to ban Pedestrians w/ cellphones than to make bikes go 5mph or 3mph or not at all...
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant