Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Which way? Uphill.

5 MPH Speed Limit for Bikes

Man am I glad I graduated before they started this.
    5 MPH Speed Limit at CU

I just wonder what was the incident that caused this knee jerk reaction?

Now the question of will they enforce it?

Alright, let's here all the people come out and start ripping the politics of Boulder now. I'm guessing a 2 more posts before there is a crack about hippies.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Now the question of will they enforce it?
    I know! I heard about this on the radio this morning. Supposedly, CU security are going to purchase radar guns to enforce the limit.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would say this is the opposite of Hippie reaction and definitely a reaction by authorities to extract more revenue from citizens - like other speed traps. Artificially low speed limits and enforcement are not about safety - but cash. They always claim it's about safety, but the speed limits were instituted because of gas shortages, not safety concerns. Besides, slower rate of speed doesn't always equal safety. I'm sure we've all heard about raising the speed limit on major highways to 75mph from 65mph and deaths actually went down... Cars are faster and have better safety features than in the past, but people forget that speed limits had NOTHING to do with safety originally. There was a gas shortage. When the shortage went away, the speed limits stayed because they generated a ton of money for towns. My guess is that some new person at CU security transferred from some other school where they were making tons of cash writing tickets for bike speeding. It's obviously a right-wing conspiracy for control, man...

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    I know! I heard about this on the radio this morning. Supposedly, CU security are going to purchase radar guns to enforce the limit.
    So CU cyclists, the majority of which likely do not own bike computers and none which have an accurate way display their instantaneous speed, are going to be ticketed by CU security guards wielding very accurate radar guns? Something is not adding up here since it's impossible for a rider to discern between 5mph and 6mph without some measurement tool, e.g. a speedometer that's accurate to such low speeds. And if a cyclist is going 6 mph, they are technically exceeding the speed limit by 20%... not exactly a small difference.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Inflexable...
    We should send Nick to out-nerd the hippies...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

skillz to pay billz
    If you're falling over from going too slow, you should be safely under the limit

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I would say this is the opposite of Hippie reaction and definitely a reaction by authorities to extract more revenue from citizens - like other speed traps. Artificially low speed limits and enforcement are not about safety - but cash. They always claim it's about safety, but the speed limits were instituted because of gas shortages, not safety concerns. Besides, slower rate of speed doesn't always equal safety. I'm sure we've all heard about raising the speed limit on major highways to 75mph from 65mph and deaths actually went down... Cars are faster and have better safety features than in the past, but people forget that speed limits had NOTHING to do with safety originally. There was a gas shortage. When the shortage went away, the speed limits stayed because they generated a ton of money for towns. My guess is that some new person at CU security transferred from some other school where they were making tons of cash writing tickets for bike speeding. It's obviously a right-wing conspiracy for control, man...
    Fining college students for cash revenue, now that's trying to get blood from a stone there. I was so incredibly poor during college, my bike was stolen from campus and it took me until I graduated and found a job to have enough cash to replace it, about two years later.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think they should ban bikes completely in all of Boulder County.

Rolling
    (edit: Nickle, I basically repeated your post since I didn't read it like I should have).

I read this article and I ride through campus on my way to work almost daily. The point where I have to worry about this is by the Fisk Planetarium where I get on sidewalks to get to Broadway--these walks fall under the 5 mph limit.

But just like the bootlegging in Utah thread, I feel there are some issues.

1. What extent if they get radar guns will they enforce it? 6MPH?
    2. Does that mean I will be required to have a calibrated cyclocomputer so I have a right to know my speed to stay within he limit? How can a cop dictate that I am speeding 1 mph over the limit and hold me to it when I can't even tell?

Seems like they can only give warnings.

It seems to me, it's a rule that they hope it detours a lot of the people riding too fast in, around and between people walking. This has been and is a problem on the busy walkways, most of which already ban skateboards and rollerskates.

The path along Broadway better remain 15 mph or I'm going to be a little annoyed--I mean very annoyed.

The one rule I do agree on is limiting bikes in crossing the crosswalks at walking speed. Cars approaching the cross walk cannot react to a 10+ mph cyclist entering the walk. A coworkers son got hit a few weeks ago trying to cross one. He was put in the hospital and given a ticket because he admitted to riding about 15 mph. I guess you deserve a Darwin award when you enter a crosswalk on a bike going any speed when you assume the car will stop.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.

PDB
    SUFD
    Way back in the mid 90's - when I was in College -
    I averaged 1-2 law enforcement confrontations per year - twice resulting in a moving violation. Occasionally they were justified (passing a car while in on the double yellow in a 15mph zone while going 40), but they were usually flagrantly applied to myself and other members of the college team. Getting pulled over for "blocking traffic" (group rides) or for riding a couple of miles an hour of the speed limit (less than 5)
    This was at Indiana University (the most cycling friendly place in the midwest). Most anyone who went to school here (and was an avid roadie) has experienced this themselves or had a friend who had a "conversation" with the campus police.

I'm not saying I agree with this policy or not (this won't apply to bike lanes or streets)... but the thread brought up some good old college cycling memories (like getting put in jail the night before regionals at Ohio).
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    (edit: Nickle, I basically repeated your post since I didn't read it like I should have).
    Meh, yours is written better than mine anyway.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Do you know how FAST 5mph feels after 2 or 3 big pulls off a 3' tube? I don't see this being a problem in Boulder.

gravity curmudgeon
    I love how "hippies" (whatever that is supposed to mean in 2008) get blamed for things in Boulder. Folks, Boulder and CU are controlled by conservatives and $$$$. The last CU president was a former Republican US Senator. The current CU president was head of the CO Republican Party, ran for governor as a Republican, was involved with Romney's presidential bid, and owns his own oil company. Hippies? Come on. Boulder in 2008 still has a few people from the old days, but the power in that community shifted way right many years back. Only a few hippy-like people are kept around as circus entertainment.

Back to the topic. This is nuts. I am a CU alumni and work on a University campus. If they have time to enforce something this silly, they need a good hard audit.

skillz to pay billz
    It's true, hippies can't afford boulder. They're all up here is Ned.

mtbr member
    Would I get a ticket if I pushed my bike faster than 5mph?
    Would I get a ticket if I could out-pedal the pursuer?

I see possibilities for new grass root races forming here....

Inflexable...
    What if everyone rode at 10 mph. Who are they going to stop?

This calls for civil disobedience!...

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Would I get a ticket if I pushed my bike faster than 5mph?
    Would I get a ticket if I could out-pedal the pursuer?

I see possibilities for new grass root races forming here....
    It's CU, they've probably already purchased a helicopter to help with enforcement. Now I wonder if they can start throwing down spike strips during a chase? [SIZE="1"](Time to stock up on Stan's)[/SIZE]

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    It seems to me, it's a rule that they hope it detours a lot of the people riding too fast in, around and between people walking. This has been and is a problem on the busy walkways, most of which already ban skateboards and rollerskates...
    Yup, theres a ton of douches at CU who think its ok to ride their bikes through dense crowds of people at speeds that are percieved as excessive by most pedestrians. Many times, this is not on a designated bike lane or road, where pedestrians should have the right to walk without lots of near misses by these idiots.

Please, if you go to CU, ride your bike there and park it. You don't need a bike to get from class to class %99 of the time. If you ride across campus, use the bike lanes and/or roads. Don't cut through pedestrian walkways to shave 30 seconds off your trip.

This is nobody's fault but these inconsiderate riders, and most students at CU hate these people. If the 5 mph limit does not apply to roads and bike lanes, then I'm all for it.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

what nice teeth you have
    Laws like this can and do discourage people from riding their bikes. Which is unfortunate. You want people to commute on bikes b/c it reduces congestion, pollution, is good for your.... I could see a cop being justified for ticketing someone for buzzing the pedestrians, something that is totally unacceptable. Its when they start handing out tickets for speeding and no one is around it just discourages students from riding. I am involved with a student org on campus that deals with cycling advocacy and one of the biggest complaints we get is the campus police handing out tickets for really dumb stuff.

Rolling

Inflexable...
    So we have about two arbitrary units to wait before no one really cares anymore...

skillz to pay billz
    I'm ahead of the curve

mtbr member
    I bet it was one of those crazy kids riding one of those new fangled fixie bikes without a front brake that brought this about. Those guys are such rebels.

i took the wheels home
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    I bet it was one of those crazy kids riding one of those new fangled fixie bikes without a front brake that brought this about. Those guys are such rebels.
    Please- they prefer the term "hipster." Riding fixie makes them "part of the "scene." Whatever scene that is I don't know.

On a more serious note- maybe people walking in the bike lanes around the CU campus could use a little more caution and leave the bike lanes open for bikers and walk in/on the sidewalk designated for them. This would also reduce the number of biker/sorority girl collisions.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by 70-Spokes
    . This would also reduce the number of biker/sorority girl collisions.

Hard to avoid hitting those tri-delt girls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast