mtbr member

3 Stolen Bikes from my garage on 12/4/2013 (NW Denver/Regis/Berkely)

Sometime during the snow early morning someone (or some people) broke into my garage through the alley and stole 3 bikes, by Osprey bike backpack, and who knows what else.:

2012 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50; red Canfield Crampon flats; red Race Face 780mm bars. I have a pic of the serial #, but not the bike.

2011 Trek EX5 WSD

2007 Trek Top Fuel 7

Waiting for the police to show up (but this is low priority for them on a snowy morning).

Not sure how to deal with the pawn shops to track these down.

Refreshing craigslist every 10 minutes...
    3 Stolen Bikes from my garage on 12/4/2013 (NW Denver/Regis/Berkely)-2007topfuel7.jpg3 Stolen Bikes from my garage on 12/4/2013 (NW Denver/Regis/Berkely)-2011fuelex5wsd.jpg

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    SUCK! I hope they are able to find them for you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    where are u located? I'm in n. westminster and there has been a rash of garage break-ins lately. 5 on thanksgiving morning.
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Sorry that sucks.
    Try this link to search ads placed for your make and models.
    https://racklove.com/stolen-bike-finder/

mtbr member
    Thanks for that link BBC!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    ugghhh.. That sucks..

Can you please provide more details on the break in? I also live in NW denver and would like to make sure my stuff is protected. I have been here 11 years and have not had probelms and have left for weekend with my garage open by accident, bike in plain site..

What kind of precautions were taken? any extra locks, did they break in through a window or the garage door itself?

Hope the stuff shows up!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Eyes peeled.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bummer man. I hope they turn up. I know what it feels like to feel violated like that.

The link provided seems like a step in the right direction for using the interwebz for combating theft.

mtbr member
    Also, keep an eye out on CL in other cities: SF/Bay Area, LA and SD are all hot spots for stolen goods.

Free your heel...
    Sucks. I started locking all my bikes in my garage after I accidentally left the door up one night with the cars out. I still can't believe nothing went missing. I run cable thought the frames with a pad lock on both sides, while not fool proof it offers peace of mind and eliminates the chance of a grab and go. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It seems like thieves have caught on to putting bikes up on Craigslist, but definitely keep your eyes open on other cities. Sucks, but after I had my commuter bike stolen, luckily nothing to expensive, I keep all my bikes inside at all times.

On a side note, I live in an apartment in S. Boulder and we got a note in the mail from the complex yesterday saying 2 bikes had been stolen off the provided racks but oddly enough were replaced with crappier bikes.

I wish cops would be more pro active in catching thieves, setting up bait bikes, etc...

mtbr member
    "but oddly enough were replaced with crappier bikes"... that's exactly what this guy did. He/she stashed a random/junky road bike a few doors down. They came in on one bike and left with 3. Pretty sure whoever did it knew I had nice mountain bikes. I live on an alley and leave the car in the carport. It'd be easy to spot my jeep in the carport after seeing it drive through the 'hood with a nice bike on the back.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Does anyone know what's available in tracking chip/device technology? I know you can get devices for children and dogs, but don't know how applicable it would be for a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Does anyone know what's available in tracking chip/device technology? I know you can get devices for children and dogs, but don't know how applicable it would be for a bike.
    I've looked into this a little bit, 2 8k$ bikes and they go from my kitchen to my truck to the trail and back again. There are options available, but they start getting costly if you want "features", like small enough to fit in the frame where it can't be removed without taking off lots of parts, able to track while moving, able to track from long distances. Also, another problem I was seeing is power. If you can get one small enough to stick in the seat tube or possibly in the head tube, you will have to replace batteries or charge it from time to time, and IF your batteries go dead while you're trying to track, then you have a problem.

The best viable option I have found is this; SpyTracker. But again, there are issues that can't be ignored, like it doesn't track unless the unit is moving. And if it's stored inside, the best you can hope for is tracking it to within 200m. If it's stored inside, anywhere in a city cluster, it's basically a waste of time.

Also, another thing to consider is the police. If you are able to track your bike, and you find exactly where it is, you can't legally do anything about it. If you break in to take it back, now you're liable to get arrested for BnE. If you track down the thief and try to take it back, you could get charged with theft (possession is 9/10ths of the law) and or assault. Even if you can prove that the bike is yours, you could still have a visit to your local incarceration facility and plenty of court costs and time loss just to prove that it is yours. They for sure do not want you to take the law into your own hands, so be aware if you find yourself in this situation as the lines between guilty and innocent get very blurred once your take on vigilante justice.
    Last edited by TheRage43; 12-08-2013 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hopefully this Idea takes off. Tile:Tile

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrause View Post
    "but oddly enough were replaced with crappier bikes"... that's exactly what this guy did. He/she stashed a random/junky road bike a few doors down. They came in on one bike and left with 3. Pretty sure whoever did it knew I had nice mountain bikes. I live on an alley and leave the car in the carport. It'd be easy to spot my jeep in the carport after seeing it drive through the 'hood with a nice bike on the back.
    That's a bummer. I'm also in NW Denver and after having 4 attempts to steal 2 different cars (3 attempts successful) I've club'd my cars (they're easy to bypass but usually people will just grab the next un-club'd car). I've alarmed the garage and lock the bikes up inside the garage with a braided cable so its a little harder to cut.

FYI 2 stolen car events were with a Jeep Cherokee (XJ). If you're driving a TJ Wrangler (97 to 2006) they are insanely easy to steal so you might want to take some extra precautions.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    FYI 2 stolen car events were with a Jeep Cherokee (XJ). If you're driving a TJ Wrangler (97 to 2006) they are insanely easy to steal so you might want to take some extra precautions.
    I've heard 90s/2000s Honda Civics are also very easy to steal. Friend of mine had his stolen twice (got it back both times actually).
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member

3 Stolen Bikes from my garage on 12/4/2013 (NW Denver/Regis/Berkely)

+1 for Tile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I've heard 90s/2000s Honda Civics are also very easy to steal. Friend of mine had his stolen twice (got it back both times actually).
    Yeah I always got them back. One car was an early 90's Saturn which had an unsuccessful attempt and one successful... there was a discharge slip for Arapahoe county jail in my glove box if you can believe that. The Cherokee was stolen twice and the second time they decided to thrash the interior with a knife. I was going to just take the salvage title and fix it but I put it in my driveway and it dumped all kinds of fluids so I decided to just leave it be rather than try to figure out what they did to it.

Both times I figured they were just used to get across town. The cops said a lot of the Jeeps were being stolen to go burglarize a house and fill up with goods.

I also had a friend that bought a house in Park Hill. The day they closed they went to the house and it had a stolen stripped down Honda in the garage. Crazy stuff.