Thread: 3 Days in Moab

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

3 Days in Moab

Wifey and I getting 3 days freedom from the kids and heading to Moab in April. It was Mexico all inclusive or biking in one of our favorite places we haven't seen in 4 years; yes, we're too pathetic to have made the trip with babies and toddlers since 2009, now's our chance.

So, wondering what we've missed in 4 years. We have our past favs (porcupine, flat pass, amasa back, slickrock for the uniqueness) but we're wondering what's new and recommended by ya'll front rangers.

Mucho Thankias for posting up 3 rides meeting this criteria if it was your trip and had your choices:
    -12-18 mile rides; gotta have energy to hit the bars afterward
    -technical and/or steep don't scare us
    -cross country style: pedaling up to go down or down to go up works
    -loop rides; no shuttles other than porcupine
    -epic views; is this even a necessary request?

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

Awesomist™
    So much new stuff since you've been out there. Amasa Back now has moar options with Rockstacker, Jackson's Trail, and Cap'n Ahab part of the system. The Magnificent 7 system is super new and can be looped/ridden in a variety of ways. Klondike Bluffs area has gone silly with new trails, mix of slickrock and singletracky stuff. M-O-A-B Brand trails are more beginner oriented but still fun and can be a good "second ride" of the day if you want. Pipe Dream is an out-n-back affair on the edge of town and can be another fun "two-a-day" ride if you want. What else? Am I forgetting anything? UPS/LPS above Porcupine should be open by April, you might even be able to get after the Hazard section if it warms up early enough. So what would I do if I had 3 days to spend in Moab? Take another day, for starters...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There's that loop at the end of Island of The Sky. Was that there four years ago?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    skip pipe dream if you ask me..

the amasa back area is really fun with all the new additions, love Jacksons and rockstacker.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm gonna make it really simple for you:

Cliffhanger -> Ahab -> Cliffhanger -> Rockstacker -> Jackson's
    Mag 7 - for the love of God park at the bottom and ride up the $hitty dirt road 1st. We saw so many people riding up that road at the *end* of the day. DOING IT WRONG.
    Porc - get as high as you can

Perfect 3-day itinerary.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post

Mag 7 - for the love of God park at the bottom and ride up the $hitty dirt road 1st. We saw so many people riding up that road at the *end* of the day. DOING IT WRONG.

Perfect 3-day itinerary.
    2nd this. Except get a shuttle for mag 7 and ride to the portal. Not into the second leg techfest? Easy, ride out gemini > into the brand trails > EZ > Deadman's > bar b > killer B > moab > Milts (with near beer of course)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    2nd this. Except get a shuttle for mag 7 and ride to the portal.
    Totally concur. I was honoring their "no shuttles except Porc Rim" requirement. It should have read "or Mag 7."

mtbr member

Perfect 3-day itinerary.
    Riding the dirt road is doing it wrong....why not ride getaway up and work over to 7up?

In the spring we did 7up > Mag7 > Great Escape > Little Canyon > Arth's > Getaway > 7up ....pretty nice route. Pretty long day so one could not start from 313 and start with Little Canyon and get a nice loop in.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    My .02, on Mag 7 zone. Drive down Gemini Bridges Rd from 313 to the parking area at the upper Metal Masher junction or a few miles further down to the Arth's trailhead. Climb up Getaway to 7up/GB road, descend Bull Run, do whatever....enjoy leisurely climb back up Getaway/little canyon to car/beer.

friend of Apex
    - get as high as you can

Perfect 3-day itinerary.

and dont forget to stop and take some chill time at Gemini Bridges (in between Bull Run and Great Escape/Arth's on the right side of the road. Really cool spot for a mid-pint.

Last edited by WKD-RDR; 10-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Check out KRob's Outerbike report (linked) wherein he got to demo three different bikes on Mag 7.

KRob?s Outerbike 2013 Bike Demo Reviews ? Part 2 | Mountain Bike Review
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Riding the dirt road is doing it wrong....why not ride getaway up and work over to 7up?

In the spring we did 7up > Mag7 > Great Escape > Little Canyon > Arth's > Getaway > 7up ....pretty nice route. Pretty long day so one could not start from 313 and start with Little Canyon and get a nice loop in.
    Heh. While I agree that would be better than riding up that road... that 7-up "trail" sucks.

friend of Apex
    Heh. While I agree that would be better than riding up that road... that 7-up "trail" sucks.
    doing the whole thing sure does, 2 track/sand. But the portion after Getaway/Shortcut to Bull Run does not suck.

I'd hit it again

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    doing the whole thing sure does, 2 track/sand. But the portion after Getaway/Shortcut to Bull Run does not suck.

I'd hit it again
    Yeah - that 1st portion was def some fun. And I bet it's better heading back toward Bull Run. We shuttled it at the end of the day after Mag7/Portal and were expecting... well, something moar better.

You know - looking at this map you would definitely miss all the suck portion of 7-up coming back up Getaway, eh?

I'm with stupid

3 Days in Moab

Mag 7 is great!! The steep climb up to blue dot is a killer. Blue dot is a killer fun trail. Leads right to portal which is a hoot to rip down.

I tapped that

Team Inflexible
    So I am heading to Moab next week and am trying to figure out my Mag 7 route. I want to do it as a loop and been following this thread, thanks for all the input.

I am hearing some feedback to take Getaway up instead of 7up. My question is how to connect to Getaway. Would this involve starting at Gemini Bridges rd from 191 and work your way up?

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    So I am heading to Moab next week and am trying to figure out my Mag 7 route. I want to do it as a loop and been following this thread, thanks for all the input.

I am hearing some feedback to take Getaway up instead of 7up. My question is how to connect to Getaway. Would this involve starting at Gemini Bridges rd from 191 and work your way up?
    Best loop option, IMHO:
    Drive up Gem road to the intersection with GoldBar (its ridable, but it sucks). Ride up Little Canyon/Arths, small section of road, then up Getaway to Shortcut and 7-UP over to Bull Run TH, bomb Bull Run take some pix, stop at Gem Bridges take moar pix, back to small section of road, and take a right onto Great Escape and down to your car.
    You can do GoldBar ST from there as an out/back if you want smore action.

fairly easy route finding, well marked trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Best loop option, IMHO:
    Drive up Gem road to the intersection with GoldBar (its ridable, but it sucks). Ride up Little Canyon/Arths, small section of road, then up Getaway to Shortcut and 7-UP over to Bull Run TH, bomb Bull Run take some pix, stop at Gem Bridges take moar pix, back to small section of road, and take a right onto Great Escape and down to your car.
    You can do GoldBar ST from there as an out/back if you want smore action.

fairly easy route finding, well marked trails
    Nice map. I seem to be the only one who's ridden up Bull Canyon to under Gemini Bridges (yes, it's an out and back). There's some really cool stuff back there:
    1) you pass over a solid white line, perfectly straight, maybe 1/2" wide, all across the "trail" about 20 feet long. I thought it was a starting line for some race the first time I saw it.

2) you can see what's known as "Robert's Rift" if you're looking for it. That's a maybe 12" wide gap wherein the rock has been forced apart by who knows what cataclysmic happening in the past. It goes from canyon edge a long ways to the other side, through millions of years of strata. It continues down into the bedrock for an unknown distance. Imagine just grabbing the rock and pulling it apart, across miles and miles and miles.

3) then, of course, you get to the end of the canyon and look UP at Gemini Bridges. I know you want to see pics of this stuff but they're so hidden on some hard drive I haven't been able to yet. Still lookin'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Found 'em. These were taken with probably my most favoritist point and shoot ever, a Canon SD550. Ancient technology now but a revelation to me back then.

And behind me, maybe a mile away from the other side:

Just imagine the force required to separate the rock like that. Where did the rock go on either side of the rift? This feature continues up and over both sides of Bull Canyon to miles and miles in either direction. Still a mystery to scientists.

That starting line:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How many miles would this be?

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by rmalling View Post
    How many miles would this be?
    Be aware that XCguys ride is a dirt road. Nothing more. Nothing less. WKD-RDRs ride is sort of the standard ride from the bottom. Also be aware that driving in Gemini isn't super easy. I've gotten my subaru in there but it's just a little hairy. Ideally you want a SUV/truck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Be aware that XCguys ride is a dirt road. Nothing more. Nothing less. WKD-RDRs ride is sort of the standard ride from the bottom. Also be aware that driving in Gemini isn't super easy. I've gotten my subaru in there but it's just a little hairy. Ideally you want a SUV/truck.
    True, if you even want to call it a road. It's just a sidetrip with interesting **** to see. I've only done Gemini up to the Bridges in a 4WD truck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I can't believe **** got through mtbr's censors. Let's try it again:

Ellis: This is some sort of GD Zombie Nightmare Apocalypse and ****. **** **** ****.