The Notorious S.L.O

29r Maxxis Ignitor, impressions/experiences?

variation on the "best tire for the front range" theme, but I recently replaced my rear with the Maxxis Ignitor 29 x2.10 and it seems to be letting down on hard surface climbing, spining out on waterbars and rocks more than the previous tire.
    Perhaps I just suck, but anyone else running these? What are your impression/exprience?
    Thanks.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I've got one in the rear. It has Stan's acne now, and I think the extra bumps are giving me more traction.

I'm with stupid
    I really like mine. I found they work best when set up tubeless and run at a bit lower pressure. But overall I like mine more then the captain I just put on the back. I just wish that since Im running them on a hardtail that they had more volume, that is the only reason I changed to a different tire.

friend of Apex
    good traction I suppose
    sidewalls sliced on first ride, twice... but hey, its light

went back to a Spec Captain UST (not 2Bliss)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Team Velveeta™

Never saw that as a rear

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    variation on the "best tire for the front range" theme, but I recently replaced my rear with the Maxxis Ignitor 29 x2.10 and it seems to be letting down on hard surface climbing, spining out on waterbars and rocks more than the previous tire.
    Perhaps I just suck, but anyone else running these? What are your impression/exprience?
    Thanks.
    I have run Igniters up front, but it just never has looked like a rear tire to me. The center knobs are just too small and tall. Seems like they'd squirm all over. And wear out fast.

It was a decent front. Light and good cornering traction when canted over. But not good enough to buy another one. I have one or two with some life left in them on my pile of tires I don't really want to use but am not throwing away. Since I've only run them as fronts they don't get too beat.

I like something with a bigger flatter center platform for a rear tire. That's one reason an Eskar always seemed like it was equally good front/rear.

All the Maxxis tires I've used seemed to have sidewalls too thin. I would expect to shred the crap out of an Igniter on the rear particularly.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    i like the ignitor for a front tire with a faster rolling rear like the cross mark. for the money i havent found anything with the combination of grip, weight and well wearing. if you want a tougher sidewall there is an EXO version too. high under rated tire IMO.

mtbr member
    I'm not a tire expert, but I've been running them front and rear for a couple of years + now and I like them. No issues on anything really except loose gravel over hard pack, but I don't think there's really any tire that works well riding over ball bearings. Loose sand makes them a bit unstable, but not scary so.

And riding them tubeless now, with lower pressures, is even better than tubed.

Maybe when these wear out I'll start experimenting with other combinations, but so far, the Ignitors are solid, stable tires.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    good traction I suppose

Damn you are hard on stuff.

I have had really good luck with Ignitors. No flats, no sidewall tears. Running them front and rear (got a sweet deal at the Sports Mine for a not very used set). Have about 600 miles on the current set, no flats to report, good traction, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow! I have had terrible luck with ignitors. I like them as a rear tire but i have torn sidewalls and torn knobs off that turns into a flat tire when running tubeless. Seems like everyone is making their tires super light weight and now they are super fragile! I have had bad luck with just about every tire i have tried on the rear. I had no idea specialized has a warranty on their tires! I am going to give them a try next. Nothing worse than tearing a tire after a few rides and being forced to run a tube in it until it wears out.
    Or the other option, run a heavy ust tire for every day riding and swap out to a non-ust tire setup tubeless for racing.

ride
    I'll echo what others have said about the sidewalls on the standard sidewall. The EXO sidewall has been holding up well to ghetto tubeless from what I've seen - much better than the standard. Good all arounder. I've run it as a rear and a front. It's a good XC/Trail tire, but I generally prefer tires with a little more volume, especially in the front.

We have a kid working at the shop that's running Ignitors on his XC race hardtail. All of the shop crew and area riders look at 'em and say, wow, skinny tires, Joe. All of his XC race buddies say, man you run big knobby tires, Joe. I guess that makes the Ignitor a good jack of all trades. It's a good go to tire. Works pretty well everywhere but doesn't seem to really excel at anything. Now, if they made the 29er in the 2.35, then that would be a sweet tire!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    good traction I suppose

Ditto on sidewall tears in less then two rides but if you compare WKD-RDR's and my riding style and you'll find it to be the same...also loving Spec Tires in the Grid (UST) version

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm running the EXO, tubeless on Stans Crest rims since April. It was a bit slick tonight but I had no loss of traction.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post

I have had really good luck with Ignitors. No flats, no sidewall tears. Running them front and rear (got a sweet deal at the Sports Mine for a not very used set). Have about 600 miles on the current set, no flats to report, good traction, etc.
    600 miles on an Ignitor? Gawdam yur lazy.

I'm with stupid
    This is my only failure with the ignitor, not much I could do about this one as far as the tires fault 29r Maxxis Ignitor, impressions/experiences?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349931121.121316.jpg

I tapped that

mtbr member
    I love these tires for both front and back on my hardtail. I have been running the EXO version, w/ tubes, at 35psi for 3 seasons and have had zero issues with sidewalls (I'm sure I just jinxed myself). I rarely get pinch flats. They hook up amazingly well on loose terrain like Buf Cr. They wear decent - I prob get 5-600 miles on a set.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Stand back
    I had an exo Ignitor on the back of my trail bike for a short while. Traction was decent, no issue with sidewalls or flats, but the tread wore our quite a bit quicker than the Weirwolf it replaced. Overall, not impressed enough to get another.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    i like the ignitor for a front tire with a faster rolling rear like the cross mark. for the money i havent found anything with the combination of grip, weight and well wearing. if you want a tougher sidewall there is an EXO version too. high under rated tire IMO.
    I agree, I run the same set-up

-E

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am currently running an Ignitor on the rear, changed up from a Conti X-King, and before that a Crossmark. Have to say the Crossmark on the back with the X-King on the front was the best of the three combos so far.
    I am not holding the Ignitor in the highest regard right now. Nothing major, just several small things: Rapid tread wear, weak sidewalls, not as grippy in the loose stuff as the tread pattern would seem to indicate, too aggressive for the ride to the trailhead.
    And on a general rant, Tire prices for niner's, although they appear to be dropping a bit, are still in the holy spit range....

friend of Apex
    actually just stumbled upon this pic.

this about sums it up for me

Chairman of the Beard
    I ran them front and rear tubeless for a while, then just rear, now neither. On the front it just didn't hook up for me the way I wanted it to, the Maxxis Ardent is way more confidence inspiring and twice as much fun to ride. In the rear, they got chewed up and spit out with alarming frequency, I went through 3 of them in two seasons before switching to a Specialized Captain Control, which is fine so far, but too early for a fair comparison. Ignitors are a ***** to mount tubeless without a compressor, the Captain went on with two pumps from an old floor pump.

In my experience, everything spins out on waterbars. I approach them assuming they will provide zero traction and use body english and momentum to get the rear tire up and over.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is for 26" wheels but I went from Nobby Nics (hated them) to these in 2.1 Ignitor EXO LUST and really liked them overall - especially in loose over hardpack. I just had the Ignitor bubble and split post-ride like WKD-RDR's photo so can't say much to longevity as a rear tire yet. I moved my front ignitor to the rear so we'll see how it holds up.

I now have a Hans Dampf up front and this handles as well in loose as the ignitor but much more grip on the climbs (but it is a larger volume tire too). If the ignitor holds up I'll keep them as a rear and also for a lighter front for long rides/races.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I hated the ignitors... they rolled fast, but sucked for climbing and control. I can't say enough good things about the Rampages 29 x 2.35 - front and rear grippy goodness - roll reasonably fast and decent volume. Weirdly, I hated the 26er Rampages (26x2.35) on the 575... different tires for different bikes, I guess.

SS Chimp
    Your results may vary...

I have been running the 29'er non-tubless, non-EXO Ignitor's both front and rear for the last few years on my daily driver wheelset. No sidewall issues, only 1 or 2 flats. At the right pressure I think they are great in loose over hardpack here in COS. I have probably replaced the rear 4 times and the front 3 in 2500+ miles this year on that wheelset. Basically they are my go-to tire for a COS training tire on the SS.

That said, I don't use them for loamy trails like WP or Breck. Rolling resistance is higher than say a Racing Ralph and the hookup is not any better.
    all single...all the time

Living the High Life
    I am running Maxxis Crossmark 29ers, different tread but the same sidewall. I had them tubeless for a while and they held fine. After a dozen or so rides I ripped the sidewall out of the front one. Not surprised as I'm used to ignore it and smash! DH tires. Nice light tires that are a good balance of rolling resistance/traction. But yeah, weak sidewalls.

So I have a few backups now. My team has a Maxxis sponsor so they're pretty cheap for me so I don't mind having backups.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.