Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ridin dirtay
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Stand back
    I like how one of the posters called him Lee.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I like how one of the posters called him Lee.

prob was confused on what site he was trying to defend his wheel size on

rr
    I don't do PC
    I would rather discuss politics or religion, and I hate discussing politics or religion

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I love how people pass judgement on a wheel size because it doesn't work for their riding style and their trails. It sounds to me like he just needs to learn how to corner a little better...

One of my analysis geek goals for the winter is to do some randomized Strava analysis on the two wheel sizes for me on Colorado Springs trails. My Shinobi and my Chilcotin are within a pound of each other and within 20mm front/40mm rear of travel. There are trails where I think the 29er is going to be faster, and trails where the 26er will be faster--I'm curious what the spreads are though.

All this being said, I still don't get the concept of 27.5"--why have the best of BOTH worlds when you can have the best of EACH world!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    ......I still don't get the concept of 27.5"--why have the best of BOTH worlds when you can have the best of EACH world!
    hating on the tweener size? your a wheelsizeist!

Chronic 1st-timer
    I still suck at riding on any wheel size.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    I still suck at riding on any wheel size.
    I feel your pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Glad we finally found the authority on wheel size. I have a 29er now and really like it, but I must be mistaken. I think I'll keep it though, cause it's real cool.

Stand back
    It sounds to me like he just needs to learn how to corner a little better...
    Yeah, he needs to sign up for one of those Better Ride clinics and learn to have fun better!
    Golden Bike Park

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I think you missed his point. He was simply talking about what is more fun, for him.

To Kristian : As with the analysis you are proposing, you are only looking at one factor, time. Do you really care if one is 10 seconds faster if its less fun to ride?

Its like having a cupcake contest and only judging it on the size and disregarding how it tastes.
    Last edited by billybobzia; 10-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Just pick your favorite wheel size and be a d!ck about it...

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm still trying to come to the realization how all 29'rs are created equal

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Just pick your favorite wheel size and be a d!ck about it...

_MK
    exactly.

psycho cyclo addict
    Wait, this is MTBR; everything sucks

Larger wheel size does not spell earlier doom for driveshells/freewheels. If that were the case, we'd all be riding those little bikes the circus clowns tool around on under the big tents.

If you have crappy/poorly maintained components, a butcher for a bike mechanic (or suffer from mechanical ineptness), run weight weenie stuff and tip the Clyde'ometer, have 10/11 speed drive train (that has a greater tendency to snap and finicky when barely out of alignment) or who knows what else... then it is quite reasonable to expect something less than Sherman Tank performance.

I'm not the guy from that THING

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I personally love the way I feel "in" the bike. Like it's an extension of my body.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    To Kristian : As with the analysis you are proposing, you are only looking at one factor, time. Do you really care if one is 10 seconds faster if its less fun to ride?

Its like having a cupcake contest and only judging it on the size and disregarding how it tastes.
    Yeah, but I have an ear-to-ear grin when I ride ANY bike. One of the segments I plan on riding is called "Cobblestone" and it's about a 200 foot descent down a rock-embedded pinball machine of a trail. I have just as much fun going down that trail on a fully rigid SS as I do bombing down it on a DH bike so I can't quantify "fun" very easily. That being said, riding fast IS fun to me. So theoretically having the ability to ride faster should be more "fun" than riding slower right? (at least for a given level of control--which again is hard to quantify).

Since I'm still geeking out about how I'm going to set up my analysis, I welcome any input on how I could expand it to be more than just time. I was thinking about taking a few notes such as number of dabs (if any) for each run, and max speed, as well as a subjective "how clean was that run?" type of metrics. At the end of the day, I will ride the same line on both bikes (or the rigid for that matter) though, so I can't think of a better way to judge than time--especially since I already know how much fun it is to ride both the 26er and the 29er!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I personally love the way I feel "in" the bike. Like it's an extension of my body.
    29ers are laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant. They make your breath smell sweet, and help you last longer in the sack. 29ers are rich in anti-oxidants.

27.5 causes emphysema. And irritable bowel syndrome. Some patients experience numbness or tingling.

26" wheels led to the holocaust. When you ride a 26", your life is shortened by a full minute every mile you ride.

Anybody who rides anything but a 29" wheel is a fool. A fool I say.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    Yeah, but I have an ear-to-ear grin when I ride ANY bike. One of the segments I plan on riding is called "Cobblestone" and it's about a 200 foot descent down a rock-embedded pinball machine of a trail. I have just as much fun going down that trail on a fully rigid SS as I do bombing down it on a DH bike so I can't quantify "fun" very easily. That being said, riding fast IS fun to me. So theoretically having the ability to ride faster should be more "fun" than riding slower right? (at least for a given level of control--which again is hard to quantify).

Since I'm still geeking out about how I'm going to set up my analysis, I welcome any input on how I could expand it to be more than just time. I was thinking about taking a few notes such as number of dabs (if any) for each run, and max speed, as well as a subjective "how clean was that run?" type of metrics. At the end of the day, I will ride the same line on both bikes (or the rigid for that matter) though, so I can't think of a better way to judge than time--especially since I already know how much fun it is to ride both the 26er and the 29er!
    Are all sections down hill? If you have a cadence / HR monitor you could throw that in. Do you spin more or less on one bike or the other. Does one give you a higher average HR than the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Many of the sections I was going to measure are downhill. Besides just being geeky, one of the reasons why I want to quantify "which bike is better" is to help choose which bike I race at The Captain next summer (if that race even happens in 2014). The timed sections on that race are 85% downhill so I was going to measure consistently with that. There is also the fact that I can bang out 6+ downhill runs in a day with consistent times if I relax on the climbs, but if I push on the climbs, I will get slower each on each run.

I'm obviously still vetting my methodology here though, and it wouldn't be a fair comparison if I didn't have a few timed climbing sections too I guess.

mtbr member
    my .02 is based on killz and 29er is leading.

- 29ers tend to roll faster - taken out a mouse, a rabbit, and a bird. Thats three killz, so far.

- the fatty came close to rolling over a mouse but phat wheels are too slow - so no killz, yet.

- the ole 26ers always tried to do me in. no killz recorded. thank goodness.

Stand back
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the age factor yet. The older you get, the bigger wheels you need in order to spare your ego. Simple.
    Golden Bike Park

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Yeah, he needs to sign up for one of those Better Ride clinics and learn to have fun better!
    no way, he should take a class from Lee.
    way moar better

I really have to agree with Gene Lee, though. After riding wagon wheels for a spell, kiddie wheels are fuuuuuuun sh!t

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey, can I join in?

I got a 29" wheel bike in early August. My 26" S-Woks Epic finally was getting to the point that I didn't feel good about riding it hard and I needed a bike for the Breck Epic. I was actually very interested in the Santa Cruise Solo 27.5) but couldn't get one on short notice and probably couldn't get a great deal on one either so I got a Specialized Camber which I could get right away and for a great price.

My thoughts in 29"? Well, they're pretty much the same as they were before I bought the bike: Compared to 26", 29" wheels do some things very well and some things not that well. I get the roll over, but they feel awkward cornering, especially tight cornering. They don't accelerate like smaller wheels although once you get them up to speed, they can keep their momentum very nicely. However, given all the gushing and love talk from the niner bots I'd say 29" wheels are a bit overrated compared to the hype.

I do keep in mind I'm going from a 23# race bike to a 28# "trail" bike so I understand there is a bit of apples and oranges to the genre comparison. It's a nice bike, no doubt and I [I]like[I] it, but I'm not in love with it like I was my Epic.

Part of it is the weight - when you have a really light bike and you like doing big loops with lots of climbing, you get to really like a light bike. I think with some carbon wheels, remove the dropper post and save it for desert trips with lots of steep ledge type drops and run a carbon seatpost for most of my riding, maybe go carbon on and lighten up a few other things like stem and handlebar and take 3-4 pounds off. If the bike was around 25-26# I'd probably like it better.

All that said, I'd like to check out 27.5" to see what they ride like and possibly sell the Camber while it's still fairly new and go with something like the Solo if I like it a lot.

In the end though it's just a bike and it works.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    29er is a wheel size??? Man, I have been looking for a 27.5 year old hottie to replace my 29 year old hag...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast