Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er gearing recommendations

Of course gearing is a personal preference, but I wanted to put this on the front range forum to get the opinions of people who climb big hills.
    I have a friend in the market for a 29er, and a lot of the shops are pushing the 2x10 set ups with a 26x36 low.
    I know that's a pretty decent low, but for me its a no brainer. I'd buy a triple 22,32,42, and probably remove the large and pair it with a 12x36 cassette. (yeah I'm a wuss).
    For me the value of a low low gear is great, and I don't see any downside to a triple, but bike shops will tell you the double shifts better, is lighter and "feels better"???

You can always convert a triple to a double but not visa versa, and the BCD is too big to go lower than 26 with the double.

Anyway, compared to a 22x32 on a 26er, which is pretty standard, a 22x36 is the equivalent ratio on a 29. What would you do?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What would you do?
    32x18
    Last edited by KarateChicken; 06-23-2011 at 09:26 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I like gears. Lots of gears. Especially low gears. In fact, I'm always looking for a LOWER gear every time I ride. I'd get a 3x10.

But maybe your buddy isn't nearly the pvss I am.

Yappy little dog!
    1x10

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    1x10
    not valid^

you're not tall enough to ride a magical 29er

mtbr member
    a 29 wheel is about 2 cogs on the rear
    so 2:1 gearing for a 26 (32x16)
    is
    32x18 on a niner

2:1 is a normal setup for advanced as riders

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    not valid^

you're not tall enough to ride a magical 29er

Meh. I had a 29er when 29ers weren't cool.

Stiff yet compliant
    I know I would probably not be satisfied with the 26t granny for those long slogs into the hills. I also don't think there is any option for a bash ring with 2x10 and replacement rings are expensive.

mtbr member
    To be totally honest I gears are a love/hate relationship for me.

I was running my 29er rigid for a while with a 32x20 SS and was totally satisfied, but getting into longer rides meant needing more gearing. Since then, I've been running a 1x9 drivetrain with a chainguide and its been awesome. My cassette ranges from 11-34 and I still dont use all 9 gears.

Save weight, save money. Go with 9 gears.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I run a 3X10 (with bash) with 12-36 in the back on my trail bike. I rarely use that lowest gear, but I am very glad to have it when I need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Team Velveeta™

damned 12-36

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    ...in the market for a 29er, and a lot of the shops are pushing the 2x10 set ups with a 26x36 low.
    I know that's a pretty decent low, but for me its a no brainer. I'd buy a triple 22,32,42, and probably remove the large and pair it with a 12x36 cassette...
    The standard Shimano group from the good old days of 9-speed with triple is 22-32-44 up front and 12-34 cassette. I was still an 8-spd bigot when I got my first 29er and ran 22-32 as lowest low. It was a hurtful thing. So I grudgingly went to 9-spd and of course liked it right away.

I lived with a 22-34 setup w/ triple for lots of years, then in Feb 2010 I got a new bike that came with a 36 cassette. Damned thing. I now ride most everything I always have in the same gear, it's just two teeth easier (and slower) in every gear. And now I can't imagine going back. Returning to a desk job, getting a lower set of gearing, hello AARP.

If I was still riding the ridiculous number of miles I used to, I'd probably be temped by a 2x with a 36, but I doubt I'd like it even then for what I ride all summer. The long grindey steeps would be tedious. I like gears and I like to have a plenty low one when I want it.

For single-speed 29, the Colo norm is 32:20. The tougher SS dudes who just have one bike tend to ride 32:19 or even 18. The SS I just sold was sporting a 33:20, which is just a hint lower than a 32:19. It was fine for the flatter stuff I tend to ride around her in the off season, and places like Hartman Rocks. Really sweet gear for trips to southern Arizona. But if I was trying to have an SS as an only bike I'd be sportin' a 32:21 or 32:22 prolly.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

rr
    I don't do PC
    The lowest gear on mine is 22x34 and it's plenty low. I don't think you need lower gearing for the bigger wheels, even tho the internet says so, in fact I felt like I could climb in the middle ring more when I first got mine.

I would suggest what you said, go with a standard triple and ditch the big ring, it will shift just as nice as the new doubles and he will get the lower gearing of the 22. If he paired that with 36 cog he could climb like Alberto Contador.

This place is wasteland
    I have a 3x9 with a 34t cassette. I am a believer in "spin to win" and so I replaced my 22t granny ring with a 20t. Gives me the low-end bail out if I bonk, or if I want to conserve on a long ride, or when I head up to high altitude and have no legs... its not like you HAVE to use the low gears, its just a nice insurance policy.

mtbr member
    As I suspected, the opinions are all over the board from crazy single speeders to us mere mortals.

I'm telling him to get a triple. He probably thinks I'm an old, lazy, out of shape wuss who likes to go against the grain (which is all true), so its nice to see that there are plenty of others around here who like the option of a 22x34 or 22x36, or 20x34!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    I have a 3x9 with a 34t cassette. I am a believer in "spin to win" and so I replaced my 22t granny ring with a 20t. Gives me the low-end bail out if I bonk, or if I want to conserve on a long ride, or when I head up to high altitude and have no legs... its not like you HAVE to use the low gears, its just a nice insurance policy.

Wait. Where do I get this mythical 20t granny??

mtbr member
    Here's one on Ebay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3305714...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

It's steel, so should be durable.

Action tech has more pricey titanium options:

http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm

This place is wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm

Mine is actiontec, but I think I ordered mine from JensonUSA

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I'm currently building up a 29er hardtail with a 2x10 setup (the only reason I went with 2x10 was because I found an amazing deal on a 2011 X-9 set with brakes included).

It has a 26x36 low. I'm going to give it a shot, but it may be a little too tough on some of the long steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I'm currently building up a 29er hardtail with a 2x10 setup (the only reason I went with 2x10 was because I found an amazing deal on a 2011 X-9 set with brakes included).

It has a 26x36 low. I'm going to give it a shot, but it may be a little too tough on some of the long steep climbs.
    Yes, I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Also what kind of 29er?, I would venture to guess the guys riding 1x10 or single speeds are on lightweight or rigid bikes. Easier to push bigger gears than a 30+lb FS trail bike

Team Velveeta™

no Ti grannies for me please

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Last time I looked there was no such thing as a stainless steel 20T granny for a 4-bolt 64 BCD crank, only those Ti Actiontec ones. Actiontec makes some SS grannies, but to get 20 you have to get a 5-bolt 58mm BCD. I don't know of anyone else who makes 20T grannies for a 4-bolt crank, stainless or otherwise. Anybody know different?

Some say that Ti is fine for granny gears, but I'm not one of them. At least not for those of us who weigh more than 190 and ride bikes that weigh more than 30 and wear packs that weigh more than 10.

When I built up my dirt tourer I decided I had to have a 20-30-40 setup, so I got a set of Surly Mr Whirly cranks in order to have external BB bearings and a 94/58 crank spider which would allow me free choice of 20T Stainless grannies (and a stainless Surly 30 middle ring).
    Last edited by TomP; 06-23-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: fixie mistakie
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Last time I looked there was no such thing as a stainless steel 20T granny for a 4-bolt 64 BCD crank,
    Smilinsteve linked an E-bay auction above.
    Be warned with those 20t 64 BCD rings you sometimes have to grind some material from the mounting points on your crank or the chain will hang up on them.

This place is wasteland
    Some say that Ti is fine for granny gears, but I'm not one of them. At least not for those of us who weigh more than 190 and ride bikes that weigh more than 30 and wear packs that weigh more than 1
    FWIW... I got pretty heavy over the last several months... and I am down to 195 right now. Been riding that Ti granny for like 17 months now and it still looks new to me. But only time will tell. BTW, I have replaced my middle chainring in that same time frame ( not due to wear but busted a tooth off )

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How much weight do you save with one less ring and a few links? Not much. Buying a 2x10 crankset seems pointless, if you're set on 2x10 then do the conversion.

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....When I built up my dirt tourer I decided I had to have a 20-30-40 setup, so I got a set of Surly Mr Whirly cranks in order to have external BB bearings and a 94/58 crank spider which would allow me free choice of 20T Stainless grannies (and a stainless Surly 30 middle ring).
    Pretty much my set-up on my Titus RX29 (except mine is 20-30-42). Middleburn rings. I brought my old Race Face Square Taper Turbine LP's out of retirement to run with a Phil Wood Ti BB. Whole set-up is lighter than a XTR M970 set-up. Using a 11-32 cassette.

I don't use it often, but I like having the 20-32 option...when you are at hour 5-6 of a training ride or race it's nice to go granny mode when your legs are hurting and you have that steep ass climb in front of you. Have toyed with swapping to 2x10 but I like having those extra gears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast