Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. 24 Hours of Moab

I want to do the 24 hrs of Moab ride this year. I know I am not in any shape to do it right now, but I think it would be an absolutely amazing experience. I have never done a race (Plan on changing that this year) but I want to do something "Big"! I Don't want to go and try to win... I don't even want to go and try to get top 50. I just think it would be a sweet experience to go do a team (5) entry and ride like a mofo for a day in a beautiful area in a sweet atmosphere. I wanted to throw some feelers out to see if anyone on here is thinking about doing this ride, and if so if there are any tips or training recommendations...
    Or see if anyone would be interested in trying this...

Denver Lowlife
    First off, good for you! I've never had better motivation to get off my butt and get whipped into shape than entering a big race. Committing to La Ruta pulled me out of a three year funk.

To stay committed, I bought the plane tickets, paid for the race, and told everybody I was going to do it. I had quiet reservations, but I couldn't back out. So I busted my a$$, spending most Saturday and Sundays riding the majority of the day. I gave up the booze for three months to loose a few extra "el-bees." Finally, I went in to it with the expectations that I was going to a) have fun and b) finish.

You probably don't need to go that over the top for a team relay event, but I have a love/hate relationship with 24 hour racing. Getting up for your 4 am lap is not fun. Maybe you're some masochistic SOB, but I don't care who you are, you're going to have some misery.

If you don't have lights, you'll need to get that dialed in. The systems are infinitely better these days. So that's a good thing. Lots of info here on lighting. I'm pretty sure one of the T.I.T.S. dudes can hook you up with a locally built Amoeba system to demo.

Make sure you have support. When you get done with a lap, having bent your derailleur hanger from flipping over the bars (again!) ask me how I know, the last thing you'll want to do is deal with it. And by the time you've changed, eaten and rested, you're up again. So find a couple buddies and buy 'em all the beer they want, contingent on the agreement that they'll stay together enough to hook you up with food when you finish riding and help you tune your ride between laps.

Moab is a harsh environment with a pretty healthy lap length. You might get more enjoyment out of a race that doesn't have 15 mile laps with some downright dangerous tech sections (see above "bent derailleur hanger" section). But, don't let me discourage you. Just be sure you've spent some time in Moab getting an idea what you're in for, if you're not already familiar.

Bring enough riding clothes to not have to change back into wet stuff. Oh, and: Chamois cream, chamois cream, chamois cream....

My $0.02

Peace.

mtbr member
    I agree with super88 about support- having hot soup on the stove and a fire to come back to in the middle of the night is beyond great. Plus, not having to do your own wrenching means you can sleep between laps.

If you have not ridden much in Moab, definitely get out there and get familiar with the terrain you will be riding. You can ride the Behind the Rocks race course any time of year. I made sure to do a test ride before I committed to my first 24HOM. When you do the test ride, remember that during the race you will be riding that stuff as fast as you can, and at least one time in the dark. During our practice lap the day before the race last year, we met some mid-Westerners who had signed up for the race without having been to Moab before (?) They were pretty intimidated by the course.

Good lights are a must. Don't scrimp. If you can't buy, borrow. Expect any kind of weather- rain, snow, heat, cold, wind...

Go to the Granny Gear website and read all the tips and tricks. There's a lot of good info there.

Have fun! It is a lot of work to get there, get set up and ride. But the experience is unlike any other you'll have. A good time for sure, and a chance to find out how tough you are.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm super pumped about doing a race like this! I'm not totally commuted to the Moab race, but think the idea of a 24hr race is sweet! I'm going to start training asap! I have a long way to go before being even close to ready for something like this but I'm going to do it. Has anyone ridden 24hr of the sage? Is that one a little less brutal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's a lot cheaper and much closer than moab and the proceeds go to a great cause.
    Personally, there is something to be said when the proceeds of the race stay in the community to help a good cause.

I have not ridden the course but i have ridden Hartmans Rocks and its tons of fun.

I would not say that the Moab course is brutal but it does have a few technical sections, if you are racing it for fun you can just walk these sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat guy on a fisher
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm super pumped about doing a race like this! I'm not totally commuted to the Moab race, but think the idea of a 24hr race is sweet! I'm going to start training asap! I have a long way to go before being even close to ready for something like this but I'm going to do it. Has anyone ridden 24hr of the sage? Is that one a little less brutal?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've done it 6 or 7 times now. A few words of advice that haven't been mentioned.

- Figure out your lights and practice riding with them long before you leave for Moab. I usually go on a few night rides in early October and get my light mounts set exactly how I want them. Then just leave them on your helmet and bars until you're done with the night laps.
    - If you're not comfortable riding sand at high speed, give it some practice. The 2nd half of the course can have sandy sections that you'll hit going full speed. Lean back and try it keep it straight. Don't fight it.
    - If you see people sitting on the side of the course with cameras, one of the nasty technical sections is near. Be careful.
    - Don't camp near the start-finish line unless you like loud music and porta-potty smell.
    - Bring your ski goggles. If the wind whips up, you'll thank me.
    - Don't bring one of those loud construction generators. (why do people insist on doing this every year!)
    - If you get to ride the sunrise lap, it's surreal. Freezing cold, but totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Go for it!

I want to do the 24 hrs of Moab ride this year. I know I am not in any shape to do it right now, but I think it would be an absolutely amazing experience. I have never done a race (Plan on changing that this year) but I want to do something "Big"! I Don't want to go and try to win... I don't even want to go and try to get top 50. I just think it would be a sweet experience to go do a team (5) entry and ride like a mofo for a day in a beautiful area in a sweet atmosphere. I wanted to throw some feelers out to see if anyone on here is thinking about doing this ride, and if so if there are any tips or training recommendations...
    Or see if anyone would be interested in trying this...
    It's a great party, with a 5 man team, you'll only ride probably 3 laps, which can be tough if you're not in shape, but it's only May, so you should be able to cruise them by Oct.

The course is fun, you can easily walk anything that scares you. Set the goal and do it, you'll be glad you did!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have decided I am going to do it! I just need to decide if I am going to do Moab or sage and find 4 guys (or girls for that matter) that want to do it too. Freaking pumped! Time to start training!!!!

Light freak
    Shoot me a PM if you want to check out some lights built by a local rider.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    The Amoeba lights definitely work well for night racing- I used a set for The Burner and was glad I did!

Candlestick Maker
    I have decided I am going to do it! I just need to decide if I am going to do Moab or sage and find 4 guys (or girls for that matter) that want to do it too. Freaking pumped! Time to start training!!!!
    excellent.

sage.
    baker

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I've done both Sage and Moab. I would say Sage beats out Moab by bit for the riding, and Moab is a much bigger festival type atmosphere. You could of course do both, but that would be crazy

Come to think of it, I may need to do Moab myself this year... It's been about 8 years since my last 24 hour-er

kaj
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

all good advice..

My two cents mirror some of the above posts.

- Drop some cash and buy a powerfull light. I prefer a helmet mounted HID.
    - Ride at night as much as you can, get used to your light, etc.
    - Goggles are a good suggestion if it gets nasty in camp, I also recommend a dust mask. A basic paper one from the hardware store is prefect, in fact just bring the whole box, they are cheap. If you end up with the first lap, you may want a mask as it can get nasty.
    - As others have said, support is key. Warm food, fire, and an alarm clock. It's fun actually! It really helps to have a friend walk you down to the start, then take your puffy jacket back to camp. Sometimes you may end up waiting for your teammate to come in for quite a while, last thing you want to do is freeze while you wait. Plus, then when you ride in you'll have a friend to help you find your campsite again. Sometimes you can be a bit delirious after a lap, and getting lost on the campground SUCKs.

OH, and you may want to bring a garden rake. The scrub brush around camp is full of thorns. A garden rake make quick work of it.

Otherwise, just go have fun!!

Porch
    Last edited by Porchsong; 05-22-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I did my first 5 man race last year in Moab and I have to say it's an experience of a lifetime. Support is the key props to my wife who was there for every rider after there laps, hot food, shower and derailuer hangers a must...went through two. I was lucky enough to get the moon rise, this image will be embedded in my memories forever. The course is techy in some spots but rewarding after you clean them or walk them...enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8ridin
    I did my first 5 man race last year in Moab and I have to say it's an experience of a lifetime. Support is the key props to my wife who was there for every rider after there laps, hot food, shower and derailuer hangers a must...went through two. I was lucky enough to get the moon rise, this image will be embedded in my memories forever. The course is techy in some spots but rewarding after you clean them or walk them...enjoy!
    Well I am in the process of getting lights, putting a team together and getting my fat ass in shape for this! Really looking forward to the experience.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Well I am in the process of getting lights, putting a team together and getting my fat ass in shape for this! Really looking forward to the experience.
    Just saw this thread, I have done the 24hrs in the sage before and it is way fun! I'm in for sure this year as well. I think we each did 5 laps and they are like 14 mi. and +1400' per lap. I have some AMOEBA demos available on our weekly (or somewhat weekly) t.i.t.s. rides. PM me if you want to check out a set or better yet go to the guy that makes em Scar posted above.

Dont feel intimidated just go out and have some fun! If you want to join us on a t.i.t.s. ride let me know i'll hang with ya.
    Last edited by PBR me!; 05-26-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 (or maybe 2) for Scar's Amoeba lights. Awesome light, in a compact, lightweight setup.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Just saw this thread, I have done the 24hrs in the sage before and it is way fun! I'm in for sure this year as well. I think we each did 5 laps and they are like 14 mi. and +1400' per lap. I have some AMOEBA demos available on our weekly (or somewhat weekly) t.i.t.s. rides. PM me if you want to check out a set or better yet go to the guy that makes em Scar posted above.

Dont feel intimidated just go out and have some fun! If you want to join us on a t.i.t.s. ride let me know i'll hang with ya.
    Trust these dudes. They will wait if you're slow( or at least they did for me). They ride some world class terrain and the dark just adds to the experience. Gotta get down there myself when I whip myself in to better shape.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!

Trust these dudes. They will wait if you're slow( or at least they did for me). They ride some world class terrain and the dark just adds to the experience. Gotta get down there myself when I whip myself in to better shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I agree w/ what everyone above said -- it's a great motivator and @ the end of the day, just have fun. No one cares or even knows if you're burning 1:05 laps or 2:30 laps! Overall vibe is super positive too and I had tons of fun.

My story, shortened, is that in 2007 I had 2 back to back surgeries for Crohn's disease and had sections of my intestines removed. In May of 2008 I could barely ride 2 miles but by race time I was linking together 40+ milers on the mtb. Moral of the story is that it gave me a goal and motivation to train and really raise the bar all season. Do it and G/L!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Im sorry, what ride did you do with us? forgot
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

... and if we just ...

I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement from everyone, it's a big help for sure! I will definitely take PBR up on a night ride or two to get used to it, and aside from a few frosty brewed slip ups this week, the training has begun. I am also looking at a new bike Fisher Roscoe 3 (which I really want but am having a hard time justifying the $3K yep 3, local shop has 2 for 2999.99 ).

holding back the darkness
    Don't stress too much about the little details of the race logistics. Just drag along a couple extra friends or some understanding significant others to help out around camp. It's your first one so just go out there with your gonna-have-fun attitude and it'll be a blast. By noon the next day half the crowd is zombies and the other half is all giggle-drunk from sleep deprivation.
    Comfort is the main key. Race camp is not the place for your minimalistic camp gear. It's plush air mattress and real, hot food cooked on large propane fired stoves, and bulky warm cotton clothes, and fluffy pillows and slippers. Think in terms of all the things you would want if you had the Flu, cause that's how you might feel at some point.
    Remove your race clothing as soon as possible. Shower. Put on those aforementioned fluffy clothes. You'll laugh at the sad losers trying to find sleep while still wearing their racing kit huddled on a thermarest in a bivy sack. Laugh I say from the comfy depths of silk pajamas or perhaps a smoking jacket. Live Large. Take it all in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i just need to decide on lights now, well that and find 4 more riders, but I'm on my way.

hehe ...you said "member"
    i just need to decide on lights now, well that and find 4 more riders, but I'm on my way.
    Like PBR said, demo Scar's Amoeba lights and I'm confident you'll be happy.
    They are the best light value around. (dare I say "best light for the front range"?)
    I run an Amoeba spot on my helmet and flood on my bars - proper visibilty is key when riding at night. Particularly in new, unfamiliar terrain. You'll find that being able to adequately see will greatly lessen your anxiety and build your confidence when getting in to night riding.

Kudos on taking on a such an adventurous project! Good luck and have fun!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast