Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

24-Hours of COS 2011

24-Hours of Colorado Springs is happening on October 1 and 2, 2011. The race is USA Cycling Mountain Bike 24-Hour National Championships!

24-Hours of COS

USA Cycling National Championships - 2011 Race Schedule

Race proceeds will proudly be donated to help assist families and soldiers of our military through support of The Wounded Warrior Project.

*Racers and support should be prepared for a cool/cold night, however, the race course is very near to hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc. Although schools will be in session, this could be a great chance for a mini-vacation for families and friends.

*Expect lap times of 60mins for elite riders. The race course has moderate to challenging single track with several modest climbs and lots of flowing twisty fun. Solo racers can expect designated areas for support/camping. Teams (Duo and 4-Person) will have a transition and support area near the finish line, however, camping areas will be separate.

*Camping rules must be followed, see website, but note that our climate is very dry, especially in Sept., Oct. Please plan for gas or charcoal grills, but no open flames, fire-pans...wood burning in general.

On behalf of the amazing riding community of Colorado Springs, our growing list of sponsors, the City of Colorado Springs, and the mountain bike crazed state of Colorado; I would like to invite riders across America to join us in the ultimate test of endurance racing.

Sincerely,
    Tim Scott-Race Director
    Tier One Productions

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't rule out a wet Sept./Oct. We had 20" of snow in October 1997... And without a doubt the long night will be cold.

Should be a great race worthy of a National Championship.

Congrats Tim!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is this on for sure, given the cancellation of the road race that was supposed to be on the Academy next month?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by givemeabeer View Post
    Is this on for sure, given the cancellation of the road race that was supposed to be on the Academy next month?
    Yes, on for sure! At the Academy for sure, well now that I can't promise. It's a Department of Defense issue that, even if restrictions ease up, could change over night. We are working to ensure the race happens in our area no matter what. So, yes it is on for sure!!

While the Academy is an obvious first choice, we have so many miles of great trails and some great venues that could be host of the race that I'm just absolutely fired up to show off this community's racing spirit and mountain bike pride!!

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    http://www.outtherecolorado.com/blog...lmer-park.html

Evidently the Academy strikes again--good on Tim for having lots of foresight and thinking this through just in case he lost the Academy venue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I read there's no campfires or alcohol. I understand the no campfires thing, but alcohol?? Come on...

I hear there will be a mandatory stop to racing at 9:00am Sunday for a church service led by Focus on the Family...

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by bena1916 View Post

Evidently the Academy strikes again--good on Tim for having lots of foresight and thinking this through just in case he lost the Academy venue.
    Sweet!
    baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    I read there's no campfires or alcohol. I understand the no campfires thing, but alcohol?? Come on...

I hear there will be a mandatory stop to racing at 9:00am Sunday for a church service led by Focus on the Family...
    Ha, funny stuff...maybe you could be in charge of the church time, sounds like you're all for that sort of thing?!

Last year there was a fire ban in the front range due to a huge fire in Boulder and extremely dry conditions...so the organizers followed up with the Academy Fire Dept., but we couldn't have wood/charcoal fires at the last minute. As for alcohol, it wasn't sold or provided or seemed to be an issue.

Don't know what the plans are for this year, but hopefully you can have a beer iv when needed. oh, and prayer time especially for you.

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post

[SIZE=2]Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in City Parks by Ordinance No 9-9-410[/SIZE]
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri View Post
    [SIZE=2]Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in City Parks by Ordinance No 9-9-410[/SIZE]

Sounds about right. Co Springs has so much potential to be a great town (good location, great trails, mountains close buy, nice climate, etc..) but it will never live up to it. The churchy's, military, and now no booze in parks just ruin it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Don't forget the hating lawyers bringing us down. Check out the comments made by FR after the article.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lawyers bring everyone down.

I'm with stupid
    Wiggs brings everyone down maybe he should go find somewhere else too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hitechredneck - ohh, you live in C Springs.

Ouch! I'm sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There should be a way around some of the ordinances...special events are just that, "special" so what gives? If alcohol is allowed or properly sold at an event permitted to do so, then whats the big deal...no one is inviting neighbor children to ride a lap then suck down a cold one and send the poor lil dears into hyper-dehydration.

Heck, the neighborhood kids are up there hiding in the rocks and having sex already(and have been for years, any graduate of a city HS will tell you if they are honest).

Hmm, so now that weed is so acceptable, not, but whatever...I wonder, if there is no alcohol per No9-9-410, thanks for that random bit of trivia kchri, who knows that sort of thing anyway?!, then do you think they would prefer a dispensary? Okay, bad idea

Besides, it's not like the "no booze in parks" thing is new, I heard ol'man General Palmer was pretty strict about the sauce (http://www.coloradovacation.com/hist...am-palmer.html). Maybe that's why the parks are dry.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeWon View Post
    ...thanks for that random bit of trivia kchri, who knows that sort of thing anyway?!,...
    Google:

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=2066

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    I wouldn't be to worried about getting busted in the park with your beer! The CSPD will not even come out there if your car gets broken into and your stuff gets stolen. They tell you to fill out an online report!! Now that's the way to "protect and serve" CSPD, F-ing joke! Drink it up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    I wouldn't be to worried about getting busted in the park with your beer! The CSPD will not even come out there if your car gets broken into and your stuff gets stolen. They tell you to fill out an online report!! Now that's the way to "protect and serve" CSPD, F-ing joke! Drink it up.
    you worked at all american burger

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    you worked at all american burger

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    All's I know is there have been plenty a beers drank in that park even though the sign says no alcohol. I'd suspect they will have police at the barricades that will be closing the park during this event. However guarding every point of entry will be next to impossible.

I'd keep an eye open for hikers with heavy packs

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    That kids a BAD@SS! Why would he run from a chicken? OH he knows Karate also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I really think this is a great thing for the City of CS. It will showcase some of the great riding this town has and how a park that is so central in location can KICK ASS! The GoPP lawyer guy will fight this and try to have the event moved, he needs to hear the whole plan and see that if the city wants to hold this event there, he is **** out of luck on flexing his over paid degree and fees! The trails will see some much needed help from people working to get them race ready and whos knows, maybe some money might find it's way to the likes of Med Wheel to help with the park as a whole. The GoPP have some good people, but they also have some idiots, the park needs some trail help and its clear that the GoPP are not doing the job! When has the park seen some good trail work being done? Support this event and I promise that the park will be better from it!

Inflexable...
    You guys just better pick up all your goo wrappers...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oranje23 View Post
    I really think this is a great thing for the City of CS. It will showcase some of the great riding this town has and how a park that is so central in location can KICK ASS! The GoPP lawyer guy will fight this and try to have the event moved, he needs to hear the whole plan and see that if the city wants to hold this event there, he is ****
    Unfortunately, there are several people who echo his biases on the City Parks Board, and especially TOPS board. Witness the recent actions of the F0RRP who decided to build stairs on Section 16.

Considering his actions I'm tempted to write the Parks Board/City Council and request his resignation as head of the FoPP.

Perhaps we need to start a petition? or a group signed letter? Anyone interested in signing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The article said the Parks Board was unanimous in their support. I think he is a lone wolf, but taking care of the park is something the organizers (Tim) and Park Dept. are sure to take seriously. For sure oranje23 is right on, the park needs this attention.

I can't wait for this race. I was excited for last year, but this, now, in PPark...its got to be one of the greatest ideas ever. Anyone see the video interview with Cameron Chambers, SS Nat. Champ.?

AAAHHHH SOME!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast