bacon! bacon! bacon!

2017 Front Range Demo Days??

So... what do people know? I'd like to start getting my demos on since I *may* be in the market for a new bikee soon. Who is doing Front Range demos? Dates? Locations? Let's get 'em all put in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    So... what do people know? I'd like to start getting my demos on since I *may* be in the market for a new bikee soon. Who is doing Front Range demos? Dates? Locations? Let's get 'em all put in this thread.
    Moab is kind of like the Front Range, right?

Outerbike is March 31-April 2.

Team Velveeta™
    Dunno, but...

Absolute in Salida has a very good demo fleet, and a testing area across the river. The fleet isn't filled in completely yet, but we have quite a few. Call if you're looking for a specific bike to try.

Right now we have Medium, Large, X-Large Pivot Mach 429 Trails. A small Mach 4. Small-XL Yeti SB5. Large and XL SB5.5. Large SB5+. Ibis Mojo3 Small and Medium. Ibis Riply LS Medium, Large, X-Large. XS-L Kona Hei Hei Trails. XL (21.5) Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29. XL Fuel EX 9.8 27.5. 17.5, 19.5, 21.5 Fuel EX 8 27.5. A smattering of StumpJumpers, some plus some 29.

Reserve the bike you want to try out, or risk it being already rented. We charge for rentals, but a certain amount of demo fee can be reimbursed if you buy a bike. We have lots of the bikes you'd demo available new if you decide to buy. Competitive with price with the Front Range shops.

Just sayin'
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Moab is kind of like the Front Range, right?

Outerbike is March 31-April 2.
    Heh.

No.

IMO, every manufacturer selling mt bikes in the U.S. should plan a demo day... at Deer Creek.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Dunno, but...

Absolute in Salida has a very good demo fleet, and a testing area across the river. The fleet isn't filled in completely yet, but we have quite a few. Call if you're looking for a specific bike to try.

Right now we have Medium, Large, X-Large Pivot Mach 429 Trails. A small Mach 4. Small-XL Yeti SB5. Large and XL SB5.5. Large SB5+. Ibis Mojo3 Small and Medium. Ibis Riply LS Medium, Large, X-Large. XS-L Kona Hei Hei Trails. XL (21.5) Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29. XL Fuel EX 9.8 27.5. 17.5, 19.5, 21.5 Fuel EX 8 27.5. A smattering of StumpJumpers, some plus some 29.

Reserve the bike you want to try out, or risk it being already rented. We charge for rentals, but a certain amount of demo fee can be reimbursed if you buy a bike. We have lots of the bikes you'd demo available new if you decide to buy. Competitive with price with the Front Range shops.

Just sayin'
    Yah - I'm talking about those demo days where you can try out 3 different bikes for free on the same day. Used to be FR shops would do this regularly... do they not bother any more?

Team Velveeta™
    Yah - I'm talking about those demo days where you can try out 3 different bikes for free on the same day. Used to be FR shops would do this regularly... do they not bother any more?
    As I say, dunno. Not a FR shop.

It's a pretty decent deal to do it here. We take time to make sure everything is set up right, might even swap a stem for you. I've been to those demo days. The tech is hurrying to set the bike up while people wait in line. Sometimes the bike you really wanted to ride was the one everybody really wanted to ride so you don't get it.

And you can ride more than one. We have a deal where for $200 you can ride as many bikes as you want during a consecutive 3-day period. Not three Crest days though, just on our local trail systems. The high end bikes rent for $85+ for a Crest day. The idea is that you roll out of the shop, ride either Ark Hills Trails or Methodist Trails, then come back and try another bike. We have people who try two or three a day. It's a pretty dang good deal. Even if you don't buy from us, $200 is pretty reasonable for riding rad bikes on cool trails and learning about which ones you like.

Just putting it out there. Our trails are riding really really nice right now.

mtbr member
    Yeah they might not bother because the punters who ride them go out and try to find the lowest price on everything rather than support the rad shop that organized that demo with 3 different companies and the trail system owners which took a lot of work.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I ditched the smurf blue for a Kona Process 134, and you should too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought most manufacturers would roll through town periodically so the burden wasn't so much on the local shop, but a factory demo team. Salsa, Niner, Pivot, etc. all rolled through town at least once last year.

mtbr member
    Dunno, but...

Right now we have Medium, Large, X-Large Pivot Mach 429 Trails. ...
    How are the conditions in Salida right now? I have a free week next week and was thinking of going down there to ride. Thinking of buying a 429 in the fall so renting one for a full day might be cool.

I see Abso has a trail conditions page, say Tenderfoot and Methodist are ok, the rest are still snow covered. Maybe I'll reserve a 429 and go there Thur & Fri

Local Trail Guide and Conditions - Absolute Bikes Salida, CO - 719-539-9295

mtbr member
    To address the original posted, many many shops have rental/demo bikes you can pay to demo. Something I think is worth it. Like this place in Boulder, $100 bucks for a full day seems ok to me if you have the time to do 6 hours or so of riding.
    Rental Bikes - Republic Cycles Boulder Colorado | 303-413-0228

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Yeah they might not bother because the punters who ride them go out and try to find the lowest price on everything rather than support the rad shop that organized that demo with 3 different companies and the trail system owners which took a lot of work.
    I wonder if this is why you don't see much of these demo days any more...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    How are the conditions in Salida right now? I have a free week next week and was thinking of going down there to ride. Thinking of buying a 429 in the fall so renting one for a full day might be cool.

I see Abso has a trail conditions page, say Tenderfoot and Methodist are ok, the rest are still snow covered. Maybe I'll reserve a 429 and go there Thur & Fri
    Conditions are excellent and the snow line goes higher every day. The higher stuff like Rainbow and Colorado Trail are still a ways off (the Methodist section of Rainbow will dry first, likely ready in 4 more weeks).

But people are riding Cottonwood from the top now. Still messy up in the Ponderosa forest but the running race today will flatten out any snow still on the trail. I predict lots of dirty running shoes will happen today. There will still be mud patches up there from snow melting onto trail this week, but quite rideable.

The whole Arkansas Hills Trail System is dry, and Methodist side is dry other than a few soft places remaining on Double Rainbow. By Thursday probably all dry.

The Mach 429 Trail is amazing. My favorite bike so far this year. If you come for two days for sure ride more than that though!

mtbr member
    Conditions are excellent and the snow line goes higher every day. The higher stuff like Rainbow and Colorado Trail are still a ways off (the Methodist section of Rainbow will dry first, likely ready in 4 more weeks).

But people are riding Cottonwood from the top now. Still messy up in the Ponderosa forest but the running race today will flatten out any snow still on the trail. I predict lots of dirty running shoes will happen today. There will still be mud patches up there from snow melting onto trail this week, but quite rideable.

The whole Arkansas Hills Trail System is dry, and Methodist side is dry other than a few soft places remaining on Double Rainbow. By Thursday probably all dry.

The Mach 429 Trail is amazing. My favorite bike so far this year. If you come for two days for sure ride more than that though!
    Cool. My current plan is to come down this week Thur-Sat to camp and ride. Will make sure to call and reserve a 429 beforehand.

No I do think in the end I will buy a 429, or a Camber. After borrowing a Stumpjumper this fall I like Specialized again. I see they rent both, maybe I should rent one day 1 and the other day 2. Hmmmm....

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    Cool. My current plan is to come down this week Thur-Sat to camp and ride. Will make sure to call and reserve a 429 beforehand.

No I do think in the end I will buy a 429, or a Camber. After borrowing a Stumpjumper this fall I like Specialized again. I see they rent both, maybe I should rent one day 1 and the other day 2. Hmmmm....
    Yes. At least. Reservations are a good idea for sure. This weekend has been nuts already. 24 bikes went out today. Some were townies, but lots of carbon fiber wünder bikes went out, lots of smiles came back. Tomorrow promises to be more demo action. Thursday will be less cray, but make a reservation anyway. Helps us have the bike ready before you get here too.

Awesomist™
    I keep thinking I want to demo a bunch of bikes, and then I never do. Pretty much all the bikes are pretty freaking good these days.

@TomP I might be down this week, for shits and / or grins. We should catch a ride if it works out. I promise not to go too slow.

...and pale as the driven snow!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Not exactly front range, but I think the Eagle Outside Festival is the best opportunity to demo bikes. I don't know much about the details this year, but they usually have all the big players SC, Pivot, Ibis, Niner, Specialized, Trek, etc. You can ride all of the bikes you're interested in for free back to back on some great trails.
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not the front range but is worth the drive. Fruita fat tire festival at the end of April. I had a great time last year riding lots of bikes and trails minutes away from the event.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    @TomP I might be down this week, for shits and / or grins. We should catch a ride if it works out. I promise not to go too slow.
    Yeah, for sure let me know. There's a posse going tomorrow to ride Cottonwood. PM me if you want in! If you're slower than me, damn, you need to see a doctor. I'm old as fsck, you have no such excuse.

650b me
    I almost feel sorry for bacon boy, his thread has been mostly hijacked. Almost.

A lot of the manufacturers publish their demo schedule on their website. Sometimes only a month or two out, so you have to keep checking back. I haven't looked at any of them for 2017 yet. Problem for me is, I want to demo a Turner Flux carbon, but they're not big enough to operate a demo van.

650b me
    Alright, I'll get things started. Here's Pivot's spring visits:

Sat May 6 - Elevation Cycles - Denver
    Sun May 7 - Golden Bike Shop - Golden
    Sat May 13 - Sports Garage - Boulder

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rocky Mountain will be in Castle Rock on Wednesday afternoon.
    Castle Rock Bike & Ski – The Trail Starts Here...

slow
    Here is Niner's schedule:
    Niner Events

Nothing seems to kill me
    Pivot will be at Old Town in CO Springs July 8th and Absolute in Salida on July 9th.
    In Grand Junction on July 1st, which may be worth the trip.
    Sweet baby Jesus on fire, I'ma need a damn lawyer and a miracle to pull my ass out of this.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot-Rodger View Post
    I ditched the smurf blue for a Kona Process 134, and you should too.
    Related:

http://www.turinbikes.com/green-mountain-demo/

Awesomist™
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.