Special Lister

2013 Summer trip

A buddy and I, our wives and 4 kids are planning a trip to the Winter Park area in July. Never having been there before I would have a ton of questions. We are going to be out there for 6 days or so. We have considered staying 3 days in the Winter Park area and 3 days near Breckinridge. Or doing 3 days in Rocky National Park. We want to make sure the wives and boys have stuff to do while we are riding for a few days. How much is there to do in the summer on the Winter Park resort or in downtown? Any ideas or suggestion on lodging and or activities?

What DH parks are there besides Trestle and Valmont in the area? What's around Vail or Breckenridge?

lucky enough
    Plenty of hiking trails in Summit County and Rocky Mtn. Nat'l park if your family is into that. Horseback riding, fishing, etc.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Special Lister
    We plan to hit the park a day or two. How is the village in Winter Park? Is there a lot to do for the wives and kids to do while we are riding/?

lucky enough
    The village in WP is small. Coffee shops and a few restaurants are about it. A little shopping I think, Breckenridge area has more going on. Some outlet stores just off the freeway.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    3 days of each is a good idea. Depends on what you like the overall X country trails of breck are the best you will find in summit county and if you want technical DH Keystone is 20 min away. If you want jumps and berms go to trestle but the hardest trail there doesn't even compare to a single black diamond at keystone. Also much more to do in the breck are for kids. Spend the whole time at breck and go to vail or winter park for a day each.

GL1
    mtbr member

Have fun!

Having done trips like this myself I know the importance of balancing riding with good family time. You are coming at a great time and will have fun.

You will like Valmont and it's one of the top bike parks in the nation and a multimillion dollar facility. Not a "destination" spot per se, but worth checking out if you are going through Denver on your way up or back. Pearl Street is right up the road the wives and kids will easily be able to kill a few hours there with all the shops and stuff while you ride Valmont.

Winter Park is not the best base, but not void of family entertainment. They usually have some kids stuff like a climbing wall, mini golf course, the alpine slide, maze, etc. I'd say they can have a decent day of fun there and there is somewhat of a WP downtown area too. It might be tough to get more than a day there though with the limited activities for the family and kids. You guys on the other hand will love Trestle! Yep, that's where it's at for the best lift riding. Enjoy! Sol Vista is right down the road too which has some bigger stuff in some ways, but Trestle is well built, maintained and a roller coaster of MTB fun.

Breckenridge has quite a bit for the families and a great downtown area. Some good XC type trails but not really DH like Trestle at all. You could drive to the new bike park in Frisco which is decent and fairly close. Not quite Valmont but worth a mention.

Other ideas for the kiddos might be Steamboat which has decent riding (more XC) but very cool with a nice downtown and hot springs for the kids. Buena Vista has great riding (again, less on the DH side) but epic rides, a good downtown and a hot springs close. Of course if you could swing it, a trip through Durango has some great riding with the train ride as an option for the kiddos and a good downtown. On that note, if you go through Georgetown, which it sounds like you probably will, stop and ride the historic Georgetown Loop train there as well. The kids will love that and the 100' loop bridge is impressive.

If you want more info or more specific, feel free to PM me.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Coming from a Grand County native you'll have plenty to do in the area for some time. RMNP is on the north side accessed near Grand Lake, and is a must see for any nature enthusiast. You can also access from the east side of the divide through Estes Park, there is plenty of family activities on both sides and lots to be had within the park.

Granby Ranch bike park *formerly Sol Vista* is just outside of Granby, about 30 mins south of the Grand Lake side of RMNP. Great DH here, short trails but quite the mix.

Winter Park is about 30 mins south of there, nestled right against the continental divide. If coming from Granby, you get some amazing views of the ski area and divide right outside of Tabernash. The DH here is top notch. Really fun and flowy trails, not much on the gnar-tech super steep DH, but their trails are well maintained and well planned. Lots of fun.

If you need more you can head over to Steamboat, which is a great spot for lots of activities. I know they have been working on trails at the resort but its limited. I would also recommend a trip over to keystone, their trails are quite well done, however not very well maintained. They are a little tougher than WP's trails, but quite fun and well worth the trip. You can also drop the family down the road in Breck, as there is much more to do there, than in the keystone "village".

Most other areas I have been to but not for MTB. Only other area I would highly recommend is Durango, but quite the drive from WP.

Special Lister
    What is Valmont like? Is it a freeride park or DH?

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers View Post
    What is Valmont like? Is it a freeride park or DH?
    Not really either, IMO. Dirt jumps, some slopestyle stuff best hit on a hardtail or short travel slalom/4X bike or trail bike, pump tracks, that sort of thing. But also some plain old trails that just meander around. It's a good place, for sure. Go here and watch the intro video, it's gives a good overview really:

Parks & Recreation - Valmont Bike Park
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Special Lister
    Nice place and video.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Valmont is worth a stop if your in the area but don't go out of your way to check it out. If your going to be in breck, frisco is about a 5 min drive and they have a park similar to valmont(not as good),you could ride the peaks trail right from breck to the bike park in frisco. There is some great riding in the boulder area but if you are going to be down in the mountain no need really to go there.

Special Lister
    It would be worth it to stop if it were just me and my friend for a half day but not with the families. Looks nice just sorta out of the way. Would rather spend time at Tresle, Granby and Keystone among others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It would be worth it to stop if it were just me and my friend for a half day but not with the families. Looks nice just sorta out of the way. Would rather spend time at Tresle, Granby and Keystone among others.
    Totally the opposite if you go bring the family, boulder town is pretty cool, but agree with spending more time at keystone. Post up when it gets closer maybe i can show you around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Where are you coming from are you bringing DH bikes

Special Lister
    True dat. Maybe we will reconsider and figure another plan.

Special Lister
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Where are you coming from are you bringing DH bikes

Coming from Indiana and yes will be bringing the DH rigs.

We have kind of narrowed it down to to a few nights in the Granby area so we are close to the park and also some DH places and then to either Breck or Keystone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Coming from Indiana and yes will be bringing the DH rigs.

We have kind of narrowed it down to to a few nights in the Granby area so we are close to the park and also some DH places and then to either Breck or Keystone.
    Thats a great plan, never been to granby area but breck and DH at keystone could give you week of riding.