mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2012 Pro cycling challenge cities announced

USA Pro Cycling Challenge has announced the 12 host cities for the 2012 race. The 2012 race will return to several cities and also visit new locations, showcasing the majestic beauty of the state. The seven-day race from August 20-26, 2012 will include the following host cities and stages:
    Monday, Aug. 20 Stage 1 Durango Telluride;
    Tuesday, Aug. 21 Stage 2 Montrose Crested Butte/Crested Butte Mountain Resort;
    Wednesday, Aug. 22 Stage 3 Gunnison Aspen;
    Thursday, Aug. 23 Stage 4 Aspen Beaver Creek/Vail Valley;
    Friday, Aug. 24 Stage 5 Breckenridge Colorado Springs, Colorado;
    Saturday, Aug. 25 Stage 6 Golden Boulder;
    Sunday, Aug. 26 Stage 7/ITT Denver

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Glad to see they got rid of the prologue. Prologues have no place in week long stage races. Nice to see the final stage is an ITT also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool! I can sit at the end of the driveway and watch. Since I'm on a climb I'll see them for 35 seconds instead of 15.

mtbr member
    Looks like Hoosier Pass is the place to be. Summit County knows how to put on a bike race road side party. Swan Mountain was a mad house this year.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Looks like Hoosier Pass is the place to be. Summit County knows how to put on a bike race road side party. Swan Mountain was a mad house this year.
    Unfortunately Hoosier will be so early in the stage there will be little real racing. maybe some KOM points but the GC guys will be sitting in the bunch taking it easy.

mtbr member
    My bet is that it will still be a very fun time like Swan Mountain was this year.

mtbr member
    Pikes Peak finish for Stage 5?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

bike rider
    Breckenridge is gonna be bummed. Town made a lot of money with the stage ending here.
    Keep the Country country.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Pikes Peak finish for Stage 5?
    Yeah - what's up? They gotta get these girlie men up a 14er. Evans or Pikes. Doesn't look like Evans, so hopefully Pikes is the ticket, skiahh!
    And too bad Boulder got anything, but at least it's just a buncha roadies.
    Old Codger

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Breckenridge is gonna be bummed. Town made a lot of money with the stage ending here.
    A finish is certainly better than a start from a business point of view but I image the town will make do.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Yeah, but Colorado Springs is STOKED to be a stage ender--Especially on a Friday afternoon! I can't wait to see these guys come flying down Ute Pass into town. (although that will be a pretty quick event to see).

BTW, is it just me, or does a Colorado Springs to Breckenridge leg make a whole lot more sense than a Breckenridge to Colorado Springs leg??? Seems like a lot of downhill that day...

Inflexable...
    Riding from Breck to Colorado Springs is mostly flat and downhill with the exception of Hoosier Pass. Would make much more sense, and be far more exciting to go the other way... Hoosier Pass would be an awesome place to watch from...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only disappointment is the lack of a true climb to finish a leg. Sure, the 500ft vert climb to Mt. CB was cool last year, but they need to finish a leg at the top of a pass.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The only disappointment is the lack of a true climb to finish a leg. Sure, the 500ft vert climb to Mt. CB was cool last year, but they need to finish a leg at the top of a pass.
    Unfortunately, there aren't cities and towns at the top of passes and for the race to be a financial success, and have staying power, it has to make make business sense. Maybe as the race gains staying power they can get a bit more adventurous with the route but I think they're doing it right for the moment - make the sponsors happy and let the race get to the point where it's own momentum allows for a little more leeway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Unfortunately, there aren't cities and towns at the top of passes and for the race to be a financial success, and have staying power, it has to make make business sense. Maybe as the race gains staying power they can get a bit more adventurous with the route but I think they're doing it right for the moment - make the sponsors happy and let the race get to the point where it's own momentum allows for a little more leeway.

If the finish in Boulder was up Flagstaff, it would be like a mountain finish. The crowds would be ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A finish going up Flagstaff would be awesome... the crowds would come close to those you see in the Tour.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    A finish going up Flagstaff would be awesome... the crowds would come close to those you see in the Tour.
    No doubt, I'd love to see it. Then you'd have two solid uphill finishes (Mt CB and Beaver Creek) and one MTF. I'd be surprised (but maybe not too surprised) if they went for a finish up Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    After grinding up Lookout then over to Ned and down Left Hand, these guys, especially Schleck, need a finish at the top of Flagstaff! Oh, the humanity.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think that if any city was going to sponsor the event without requiring it to end in town it would be C-springs with a Pike's peak finish. Unfortunately, since this is still a very new race, it'll be a few years before it has the ability to have finishes on the top of passes. Being on top of a few of the climbs last year, it was such a great party and good time for the live spectators. I think that down the road, if they keep adding stages, maybe making it a two week race, they'll have to have a few mountain top finishes.

I just hope that versus can get the coverage right this year. Last year they were just figuring stuff out but if the drop the ball this year there will be no excuses.

It also looks like they'll be going over Indy pass twice this year! Finger crossed. Just gonna set up the camper and hang out for two days. Should be a fun time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I think that if any city was going to sponsor the event without requiring it to end in town it would be C-springs with a Pike's peak finish. Unfortunately, since this is still a very new race, it'll be a few years before it has the ability to have finishes on the top of passes. Being on top of a few of the climbs last year, it was such a great party and good time for the live spectators. I think that down the road, if they keep adding stages, maybe making it a two week race, they'll have to have a few mountain top finishes.

I just hope that versus can get the coverage right this year. Last year they were just figuring stuff out but if the drop the ball this year there will be no excuses.

It also looks like they'll be going over Indy pass twice this year! Finger crossed. Just gonna set up the camper and hang out for two days. Should be a fun time.
    By and large our passes aren't nearly as steep as those abroad and IMO because of this and pack dynamics, finishes atop most would not be very dramatic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    By and large our passes aren't nearly as steep as those abroad and IMO because of this and pack dynamics, finishes atop most would not be very dramatic.

Although they are not as steep, the guys are still racing, and someone will be faster. If you were on top on any of the hills last year, there was definitely a distance between racers. To say it was not dramatic, would be to say that there would be no attacks. Good luck with that one. Maybe not steep enough to split the pack but from what I understand, many are long enough to do some damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I say, time trial up Flagstaff. Short, steep, brutal. Either it ends at the overlook area at the top of Flagstaff or continues (yeah!) to the Walker Ranch parking lot. Whatever, it's not my legs/lungs/heart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Yeah, but Colorado Springs is STOKED to be a stage ender--Especially on a Friday afternoon! I can't wait to see these guys come flying down Ute Pass into town. (although that will be a pretty quick event to see).

BTW, is it just me, or does a Colorado Springs to Breckenridge leg make a whole lot more sense than a Breckenridge to Colorado Springs leg??? Seems like a lot of downhill that day...

The news peeps said the route was not set and might be down HWY 9 to Canon City which means they would ride up HWY 115 into C. Springs. HWY 24 traffic could be a consideration for them although the race should be over before the Friday 5:00 rush hour up HWY 24. It would be much better to have them fly down Ute Pass and they will ride through Florissant Canyon.

mtbr member

Hell of the West

Pro cycling challenge promoters should take a page from American Flyer and race from Boulder to Echo Lake.

Or Better yet up the ante and start in Grand Lake - go thru winter park then up and over Berthod Pass then Speed thru Empire and head to Idaho Springs on the frontage road and continue up 103 to finish at Echo Lake.