Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2012 Original Growler - Gunnison, Colorado

The Original Growler MTB Races - May 26-27, 2012

The first of three separate dates for online registration opens next Wednesday February 1, 2012 at 9pm MST.

Click on the link below for details about the 2012 Original Growler, our expanded format and the three separate waves of online registration. Thanks for supporting trail advocacy and Gunnison Trails!

2012 Original Growler

mtbr member
    I've wanted to do this since it's inception.

Going to try and make this the year.

Post some pics of the course at Hartman GunniTrails!

Team Velveeta™

Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post

Do it. It's great. It fills fast, so do like it says in the event info page--get your BikeReg.com account set up in advance and set a timer so that you are sitting at your computer when registration opens.

I did it in '09 and it was super rainy. I was signed up for the 64 but only did 32. Then in '10 I did the whole 64. It's a surprisingly hard 64 miles. But what a great course, took me into parts of Hartman I never knew were there. And really well run. And it benefits Gunnison Trails.

Win win win (lulz).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Highly considering it this year! ive done the sage a few times and its some fun terrain for sure! here is some sage footage (not mine) i think they use basically the same trails for the growler! at least it will give you an idea.

I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Team Velveeta™

Growler is bigger by quite a ton

Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Highly considering it this year! ive done the sage a few times and its some fun terrain for sure! here is some sage footage (not mine) i think they use basically the same trails for the growler! at least it will give you an idea...
    The Growler is actually a pretty different course than the 24 Sage. It crossed onto the 24 Sage course a little (just a little) but goes way way out south of the furthest point that the 24 course goes (which is pretty much the top of Sea of Sage).

Both courses are killer, but the Growler course is a big adventure. I've been riding Hartman for many years, did the old Rage in the Sage once back in the late 90s, 24 Sage I think 4 times, and the Growler showed me just how vast that place really is.

This place is wasteland
    Highly considering it this year!
    Do it! Not the half though, do the Original.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I sure hope I get in this year. Did it two years ago, got my ass handed to me but I still want to do it again. Different gearing this time!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've done the original Rage in the Sage back in 97. It was my first expert race and was a definite shock to the system but I loved every minute of it. The old rage course used to be around 24 miles I think, experts and pros did two laps and it was a hard effort.

I haven't ridden at Hartman since then. That was 15 years ago. Damn.

Team Velveeta™

where am I?

Yeah, I've done the original Rage in the Sage back in 97. It was my first expert race and was a definite shock to the system but I loved every minute of it. The old rage course used to be around 24 miles I think, experts and pros did two laps and it was a hard effort.

I haven't ridden at Hartman since then. That was 15 years ago. Damn.
    When I did the Rage in the Sage I had never previously done an XC race that wasn't laps on a 3-5 mile course. I did the single lap as a Sport. Got my a$$ handed to me--I remember limping home mumbling to myself "I suck". I think it was two or three years before I was able to show my face at a race of any kind.

One of the things I enjoy about going places for endurance events is the new horizons it opens up. I usually try to ride with my GPS during these things simply so that I can find what they had us ride when I go back later. During a race I pretty much follow course markings and rarely remember any specifics of where I actually went. Growler is a good example.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Original Growler Pics HERE and HERE

This place is wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Did it two years ago, got my ass handed to me
    You still beat me that day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm in. Did it in 2011 (first time) and barely finished. Think I even cried once I realized I was going to finish. It's one awesome event!

mtbr member

D'oh!

i made sure i was signed in before 9pm, but alas, i made one typo in my cc number during checkout and by the time i corrected it... blamo-- growler 64 closed!

i figured that was fate telling me to just enjoy the growler 32, so i'm now officially entered in my 2nd race in 25 years of riding a mtn bike.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt View Post
    i made sure i was signed in before 9pm, but alas, i made one typo in my cc number during checkout and by the time i corrected it... blamo-- growler 64 closed!

i figured that was fate telling me to just enjoy the growler 32, so i'm now officially entered in my 2nd race in 25 years of riding a mtn bike.
    There are still a couple more waves of registration for both with about 100 slots per race for each wave. Just 100 in each so far.

Abby Normal
    I'm a Growler noob - signed up for the half Growler, looking forward to getting thrashed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Growler Registration Wave #2

Registration Wave #1 went pretty fast. Wave #2 opens Saturday February 18th at 7am mountain time.

2012 Original Growler

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    The Growler is actually a pretty different course than the 24 Sage. It crossed onto the 24 Sage course a little (just a little) but goes way way out south of the furthest point that the 24 course goes (which is pretty much the top of Sea of Sage).

Both courses are killer, but the Growler course is a big adventure. I've been riding Hartman for many years, did the old Rage in the Sage once back in the late 90s, 24 Sage I think 4 times, and the Growler showed me just how vast that place really is.
    Good to know- since ive only ridden the sage course trails- i was told it was a mixture of those trails as well-

any how missed the first 100- well see if i can get in on the next round

Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Do it! Not the half though, do the Original.
    am i half the man if i only do the half- i could ride twice as hard

i know you have it in you for the Original! did you beat mge?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Registration Wave #2 opens tomorrow morning - Saturday February 18th at 7am (mountain time) Sharp.

If you miss out, the Final Wave will be Sunday March 4th at 9pm. Thanks for supporting trails!
    The OGC

2012 Original Growler

<100%
    Can we just send you money and save ourselves the pain?

Short, Steep, and technical - up, down, up, down. 8 Hours of intervals. If it wasn't for the wind last year blowing me up a couple of those climbs late in the day, I don't know if I would have made it.

Do It, and bring your big boy/girl pants.

Goat of Legend
    Good to know- since ive only ridden the sage course trails- i was told it was a mixture of those trails as well-

any how missed the first 100- well see if i can get in on the next round

am i half the man if i only do the half- i could ride twice as hard

i know you have it in you for the Original! did you beat mge?
    He did beat me. Guac is a sleeper

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Got into the Half Growler this am. Stoked!

I would love to do the 64, and plan on it for next year, but I didn't want to be looking at my bike with spiteful eyes for the 2 weeks leading up to Bailey100.

The plan is to rally the snot out of the 32 and see what happens. A spirited, competitive training ride. Followed by beer and hopefully a Crest shuttle on Sunday. At the very least, my wife will be getting a Crest shuttle run.

mtbr member

count me in

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    The plan is to rally the snot out of the 32 and see what happens. A spirited, competitive training ride. Followed by beer and hopefully a Crest shuttle on Sunday. At the very least, my wife will be getting a Crest shuttle run.
    unlikely i'll be riding at your pace, but count me in for beers afterward (and a sunday shuttle excursion).

now, make this snow go away, will ya?
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would love to do the 64, and plan on it for next year, but I didn't want to be looking at my bike with spiteful eyes for the 2 weeks leading up to Bailey100.
    Late May is still pretty early in the season for most of us in Colorado. For this reason, if you have loftier endurance racing goals later in the summer, the Half-Growler can be a perfect fitness builder. Most first-timers find the course harder and more demanding than it sounds at just 32ish miles.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    ^^^Yup. Thats the plan. Stoked.

Team Velveeta™

Crest won't likely be option

Got into the Half Growler this am. Stoked!

I would not count on getting a Crest ride in during the last weekend in May. We are having a fairly thin snow year, but in 20 or so years of riding the Crest I've never seen it ready to go in May. Don't count out April and May as snow accumulation months either.

There's lots of good riding around here, but the Crest high point is 12,000 feet elevation. Even in thin snow years you'll find plenty of the white stuff up there into the middle of June.

Don't take my comments as a local who doesn't want you riding "our" trails. I am totally into sharing. But late May is a WAY long shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast