Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

We the people ... 2011 Bike Park Shootout

Spring is in the air! The sun is out and if you're here, you love mountain biking! As many of you have heard, the Colorado Front Range is experiencing a Golden Age of riding. With cities like Denver, Boulder, Superior, Lyons, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs, Ft Collins and Golden welcoming Bike Parks with open arms, it's time to compare the features and see who brought the goods!

For those of you lucky enough to have visited the parks, please give your honest reviews.

Major categories include:

Fun
    Amenities
    Flow
    Visual Appeal
    Parking
    Child, beginner, intermediate and expert tracks
    Wood features and bridges

Please share videos and pictures.

Thanks to all the hard work of the folks that made the new trails possible!

edits: added additional parks
    Last edited by nitecrwlr; 03-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't forget Castle Rock's Rhyolite Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave
    Don't forget Castle Rock's Rhyolite Park.
    Have you ridden it Dave? Mind posting a quick review?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Don't forget the Red Rocks Open Space Skills Park in Colorado Springs. It has some really good beginner wooden skinnies, but no advanced freeride features. C-Line is the jump trail there, and there are some big airs for sure on the right line. The left line is good for posuers like me who don't like to get much air but want to try to expand skills. Theoretically they are planning to expand with an intermediate section, but I haven't heard about anything happening for a few years.

It's a fun break when riding trails in Red Rocks OS, but I wouldn't drive there specifically to ride the skills park. There is lots of parking, but expect the lot to be filled on the weekends by all the rock climbers. Visual appeal is awesome (huge red rocks), and there is a port-o-potty in the park and Rudy's BBQ a block away--what more could you ask for in terms of amenities???

mtbr member

Good job!

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Ive hit quite a few of them and i got an eyeball on valmont last week. It wins no contest next question.

Seriously though. Its the nicest place on earth.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member

apples to oranges

Quote Originally Posted by jurichar
    Ive hit quite a few of them and i got an eyeball on valmont last week. It wins no contest next question.
    valmont will be killer, no doubt... and this thread is just for fun on the interweb, but just for some context-- the budget for valmont park: $4,000,000+ (yep, that's 6 zeros, though that includes everything, not just bike facilities); cost to build golden bike park: ~$70,000; i suspect lyons came in well under that.

put another way, the cost for just the parking lot at valmont could fund 3 golden bike parks.

valmont is gonna be schweet, but definitely in its own league.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    valmont will be killer, no doubt... and this thread is just for fun on the interweb, but just for some context-- the budget for valmont park: $4,000,000+ (yep, that's 6 zeros, though that includes everything, not just bike facilities); cost to build golden bike park: ~$70,000; i suspect lyons came in well under that.

put another way, the cost for just the parking lot at valmont could fund 3 golden bike parks.

valmont is gonna be schweet, but definitely in its own league.
    This is all true, and i definatly didnt mean any disrespect to any of the other parks. I love rhyolite and golden, but im stoked for valmont.

to prove my love of rhyolite and golden...i'll post pics

Rhyolite...

IMG_0172-1

DSC_9604

Golden

DSC_0047

DSC_0055

DSC_0015
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    @jurichar -- those pictures are sick. i hope to someday ride as pretty as you do

and with that being said -- when do you usually ride golden? wouldn't mind stopping by and saying hi //g
    My Current Stable:
    Yeti 303 RDH | Yeti 575 | Yeti dirtjumper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gage
    @jurichar -- those pictures are sick. i hope to someday ride as pretty as you do

and with that being said -- when do you usually ride golden? wouldn't mind stopping by and saying hi //g

lol gage, i'm taking that as a compliment whether you like it or not . Believe me when i say its the camera not the rider..im a hack .

I'm out there quite a bit in the mornings before work and the weekends...always random. I'll shoot you a message next time i head out. I've got my heart set on doing a tail whip on jump #5...that'll prove im a hack.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    @jurichar-
    haha it was meant to be a compliment

cool.. i have been hitting high resistance training on the stationary bike, but before i bounce outta colorado i'm gonna switch some stuff up and make it there or ryolite in the am for a few hrs a day... need to dial myself in, learn more, ride more, etc... //g
    My Current Stable:

mtbr member
    Picture 3 of you railing that berm is Bike magazine quality all the way! Is there alot of kids at the parks after school? Does it hinder the enjoyment?

Quote Originally Posted by jurichar
    This is all true, and i definatly didnt mean any disrespect to any of the other parks. I love rhyolite and golden, but im stoked for valmont.

to prove my love of rhyolite and golden...i'll post pics

Rhyolite...

IMG_0172-1

DSC_9604

Golden

DSC_0047

DSC_0055

DSC_0015

mtbr member
    IMO bike parks are a more the merrier situation. I've never had trouble with too many kids. Its awesome watching them shred. At golden at least it seems as if most people hang out at the top and watch each others runs more than do shotgun marathon laps. Thanks for the photo props
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

Stand back
    I just got a preview of Superior, and am impressed, especially with how much they built in such a short time. Props to Simcik, Jarod and Lee!
    It's got elements I pushed for at Golden (but wasn't persuasive enough) - table flow lines and a beginner pumptrack. The "pro" pump track that has a super flowy layout in which the berms feel like skatepark bowls - kind of like a miniature version of the chicane on the GBP flowtrail. I think I heard it's supposed to officially open soon (this wkend?).
    I rode there from a friend's house, so can't comment on parking, and there was no signage yet.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I love Rhyolite, but those jumps are still beating me. One day I will win.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I just got a preview of Superior, and am impressed, especially with how much they built in such a short time. Props to Simcik, Jarod and Lee!
    It's got elements I pushed for at Golden (but wasn't persuasive enough) - table flow lines and a beginner pumptrack. The "pro" pump track that has a super flowy layout in which the berms feel like skatepark bowls - kind of like a miniature version of the chicane on the GBP flowtrail. I think I heard it's supposed to officially open soon (this wkend?).
    I rode there from a friend's house, so can't comment on parking, and there was no signage yet.
    Tomorrow is opening day. Tamping session in the morning, riding starts around noon. We need some help to finish it. It came together pretty well and pretty quickly, started on it last Monday, and itll be ready tomorrow with every surface of the park rounded and hardpacked (nice and durable)

Parking is at the dog park and a short pedal away over the bridge. Signage is going in soon. The city is talking about using soil tack first thing next week to ensure durability of the park.

The beginner pump track is actually pretty sweet and its stridder approved.
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

a dad
    Jan 2004
    It would be cool if someone would write an overall summation of each park and what each offers. I don't really know any of them but Golden and it would be nice to know what they offer so I can make an informed decision about whether to make the drive to ride them..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    @billybobzia- or you could just visit each one time and make a real decision going forward? i've never been to one that isn't at least fun while i'm there.. //g
    My Current Stable:

Thread Terrorist
    Bike Park shoot out or not, the fact that we have more riding everywhere is awesome! We can all learn from each other with various elements, and tweak as needed. I will head to Ryolite soon and check out the awesomeness. I'll make it to superior next week. Nice work guys!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    salut to that ie //g
    My Current Stable:

mtbr member
    I rode over and checked out Superior BP Tuesday night and was really impressed. There were probably 35 kids old and young but all young at heart having fun on it already. Was pretty cool. I can see why people have specific bikes just for pump tracks and dirt jumping, my reign w/ its soft suspension got a little wobbly a few times. Could be operator error though too.

The beginner pump track was fun and a surprisingly good workout to fly through for 5 minutes or until you get too much speed.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Lory State Park outside Fort Collins has a bike park, but I'm not qualified to review it or compare it with other parks. The one time I rode there I fell five feet off a wooden "skinny" that was at least 12 inches wide.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    It would be cool if someone would write an overall summation of each park and what each offers. I don't really know any of them but Golden and it would be nice to know what they offer so I can make an informed decision about whether to make the drive to ride them..
    I will put something together once we get enough reviews coming in from individual riders. I think it's going to be a matter of who is coming in second place as Valmont is going to be tough to beat with all the resources they had available.

I drove by the Superior bike park on the way home. Can't wait to ride it! I'll post a review when I do.

To be continued
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    Lory State Park outside Fort Collins has a bike park, but I'm not qualified to review it or compare it with other parks. The one time I rode there I fell five feet off a wooden "skinny" that was at least 12 inches wide.
    It currently needs love. The lips on all of the surfaces are shot and drainage is bad so there are some problems. I don't think it would be an honest comparison to put lory in the same basket as these locations.

There is another.
    P3575303RDH

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast