mtbr member

2010 Xterra Buffalo Creek Tri?

I just noticed that the Buffalo Creek triathlon is not included on the 2010 Xterra race schedule. Does anyone know if this race is still going to happen? It is a great motivator for me to get ready for the summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They are doing some land conservation research down in the welling ton lake area i believe the race is not going to be held for 2 years. I know the organizers from last year are trying to get approval for access just during the race weekend but I don't know if they will have much luck. I hope they bring it back too!

mtbr member
    I believe the race is still happening...I am 90% sure i am doing the sport distance.
    http://www.xterrabeavercreek.com/

mtbr member
    I got a group e-mail from the promotor (Robert). The problem is revolving around use of Wellington Lake, actually owned by the Cities of Thornton and Brighton and a group of farmers. Here's a copy of the e-mail:

Fellow XTERRA athletes:
    As some of you know from news reports last October, the owners of Wellington Lake closed the lake to the public until further notice. That means all scheduled activities at the lake were cancelled. The owners/shareholders (city of Thornton, city of Brighton, and a group of farmers) wanted to re-evaluate the activities at the lake. Please note: All of this information is from my one source who is not on the Board of Directors; I am not getting much information directly from the Board of Directors of the lake. My contact with the Board of Directors informed me in late October that the Board wanted to continue allowing the Boy Scouts and events like XTERRA Buffalo Creek to continue at the lake and that they would try to have a decision by December. However, I still have not heard of the Board's decision regarding use of the lake and property for XTERRA Buffalo Creek. My source believes that a decision will likely come towards the end of January.
    I realize that many of you rely on this race to compete for points in the XTERRA series and are now making plans as to which races to compete. I have worked very hard over the past 6 years to make XTERRA Buffalo Creek a top notch race for you in the series, and will try to accommodate all requirements set by the Board of Directors of the lake.
    I appreciate your kind emails and your patience. I will let you know as soon as I know.
    Robert

This e-mail was sent out 1/1/10. At this point, I'm not holding out much hope the race will be held. Too bad. It was a lot of fun.

Marcia

Conservation Research sounds like a good thing. Unfortunately, Castle Mountain Recreation was liquidated back in Feb. and replaced by Wellington Recreation Company LLC. Under the new entity, in mid-October the lake was closed to the public. All the campers had to leave. The employees lost their jobs and the contents of the store and maintenance sheds were sold. Derelict RVs, cars and garbage still dot the shoreline. The board doesn't post the meeting minutes anymore so they must be the only people that know what the future of Wellington Lake will be. Or Is anyone in the know?

mtbr member
    man that bums me out...
    Well maybe some Tri Gods will smile down upon us.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Plauscha
    man that bums me out...
    Well maybe some Tri Gods will smile down upon us.
    You seem to be talking about Beaver Creek whereas everyone else seems to be talking about Buffalo Creek. Maybe this means the gods have smiled; maybe this means the frowned?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho