mtbr member

2010 Giant Faith 0 for Colorado Springs?

Hello,
    I am getting ready to move to Colorado Springs in February and am super stoked about having some terrain to ride a DH/FR bike on. I was looking at the new Giant Faith 0 and wondered if anybody had thoughts on how that would fit the ride options in Colorado Springs and up around Denver. I am looking for a bike that I can use for DH/FR around the Springs and also take up to places like Keystone Bike Park. I already have a Spot to use for the xc/am rides.

I was thinking about getting a DH racing rig but I want something that is more versatile and fun to ride. I don't want a bike that is purely designed to race on.

The Faith 0 build and price look great. Any thoughts/advice from you local guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's gonna be a LOT of bike for most of the stuff around Denver... unless you don't mind riding it 2K vertical uphill - I suspect your Spot will find itself being ridden a lot if you come up this way. I bet it would be really nice for Keystone, though.

mtbr member
    Perfect, IMO. That new Faith looks sweet. I know a guy who rocks the old Faith on everything. A long travel bike that is pedal-able is a must....if you like to go fast over the gnar that is. And this is CO, there is a lot of up to get to the down. Plus, "It wouldn't be a CO shuttle without a climb."

Ol' pow-pow starved SS has a point, too. It will be a bit much for a lot of trails. But it will still be a blast to ride. Post the big lines. You'll be able to test it out pretty well at Palmer Park this winter, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, here's a review from that schmuck from NSMB that thinks Keystone is not steep or gnarly enough for a Giant Glory. But this time he says the Faith is much better suited for Keystone. I say he just isn't going fast enough.

http://www.nsmb.com/3260-first-look-2010-giant-faith
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    I was thinking about getting a DH racing rig but I want something that is more versatile and fun to ride. I don't want a bike that is purely designed to race on.
    How is a DH bike not fun to ride?

Really though, I smell your stink dude. The Faith will be a great bike. As Silent Knight was saying Keystone isn't steep . There are some VERY steep sections of Keystone, but I saw WK-RDR go for them with moderate success (to be fair it was his first shot at all of them) on a Reign X.

A Faith will do fine it just won't feel as confident on the high speed stuff, but that's where us no fun having DH'ers hang out!
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I got to ride the Faith 0, Reign X0 and Glory 0 for a couple of days up at Keystone. I would say the Faith 0 was the most fun, and I could go as big as the Glory. The Glory was more of a race only bike and the Faith really let me play around on the jumps and drops. The Reign X0 was a good time too, and if I planned on doing trail rides, I would chose that one over the Faith. The Faith still climbed well (all the Giant Maestro's do) and was light enough--and would be my choice for a park bike/freeride bike
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    That would be a fine choice for COS. Big bikes are good, as are granny gears since even our shuttles have lots of climbing.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Since you already have a Spot for the lighter riding, and aren't completely focused on DH racing, the new Faith would probably work really well. That thing would be a blast at places like Palmer Park.

Overall, I say good choice given your situation (also have lighter bike and not completely focused on DH racing).

I'm with stupid
    yes when you get here and get it let me know and i shall go out on your test ride in palmer park. Im sure a few others will as well. It looks like a nice set up i was looking at the trek scratch, for my next sumer bike. Faith looks good.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses! I am stoked to hear that ya'll think this rig would work well. It is a very sexy setup IMO...

lthnu-I misspoke! I didn't mean a pure DH race machine would not be fun to ride. Just wanted to have something not as slack as a full on race bike. But it seems like you saw where I was coming from!

Me and the wife are looking to get a house around Palmer Park. Probably on the South or East side of it. Have heard is a lot of fun to ride there. And it is centrally located in the city.

I looked up the Giant dealers in the Springs area. This is what is spat out:

Old Town Bike Shop
    Ted's Bicycles

Anybody had any experience with either of these shops...Good/Bad?

Thanks again for all the feedback! It is great to hear from the riders that know the trails.

Ben
    Last edited by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN; 11-05-2009 at 11:49 AM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Ted's is my vote, good shop, nice bike too!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Go talk to Tony who owns Ted's--he's a good guy. They don't usually have a lot of inventory on hand but he can order up whatever. Old Towne isn't very focused on the DH/FR scene (more like the roadie and entry level scene) so I doubt they would have something like a Faith on the floor either. They aren't a bad shop, but I'm not really a fan. Probably worth a stop by to see what you think though.

How far east of Palmer Park are you looking? What kind of house are you looking for?

I think I can.

Ah I see a self serving question

K-man, you finally selling your house, if so thats a good part of town.

As for the bike choice, the more travel the better. If the bike can climb then everything else will be easy.

Welcome

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Shoulda went faster
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Go talk to Tony who owns Ted's--he's a good guy. They don't usually have a lot of inventory on hand but he can order up whatever. Old Towne isn't very focused on the DH/FR scene (more like the roadie and entry level scene) so I doubt they would have something like a Faith on the floor either. They aren't a bad shop, but I'm not really a fan. Probably worth a stop by to see what you think though.

How far east of Palmer Park are you looking? What kind of house are you looking for?

Ok, I'll ask. Gee Kristian do you happen to know someone selling a house in that general vicinity?

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Teds will treat you right. They are all good folks overthere. Like said before they may not have it in stock but they will do everything they can to get it for you.

Never been in Old Towne

Tons of ride options in PP. I ride overthere during lunch now that the time has changed.

I'm with stupid
    I will give you 5 bucks k-man as joemtbr called you. I have been to teds and to old town and they both seem like good places. To be honest i cant pick which is better, I like the eye candy of alot of models of bikes on the floor, But like the feel of teds when it comes to talking with they guys there seemed more mom and pop type shop. Teds seems like it has more love for the dh/fr and dj/bmx type riding then old town. Oh and if you live by palmer park they are pretty close to there so closer to "home" old town is farther down town.

mtbr member
    Hello,
    I am getting ready to move to Colorado Springs in February and am super stoked about having some terrain to ride a DH/FR bike on. I was looking at the new Giant Faith 0 and wondered if anybody had thoughts on how that would fit the ride options in Colorado Springs and up around Denver. I am looking for a bike that I can use for DH/FR around the Springs and also take up to places like Keystone Bike Park. I already have a Spot to use for the xc/am rides.

The Faith 0 build and price look great. Any thoughts/advice from you local guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben
    While I am not local to that area and can not comment on that terrain, I did get to ride both the Glory0 and the Faith0 at Northstar. I found the geometry of the Glory to be much more to my liking and the Glory felt much more plush on the rocky terrain at Northstar. The head angle felt much steeper on the Faith and it took a little bit to get used to after riding the Glory. The Glory felt so light and flickable for an 8 inch bike and I still can not believe how well it pedaled. The Faith is a really nice bike also, it just didn't fit me the best. I have ridden a lot of different bikes and as soon as I rode the glory it was an instant orgasm!!!!!!!!!!!! I would highly recommend riding a 2010 glory as well if you can before you make your final decision. Try em both out.

mtbr member
    We have been searching in the Powers area and around Village 7. We aren't looking to buy, but if you have a house to rent we are definitely interested. We would like to have 2-3 bedrooms with 2 baths. I would love to be around the park and if we could stay on the South/East side it would shave some time off our commute to work in the morning. Let me know

Ben

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations on Ted's and Old Town. I called the shops last night and they both quoted really close prices for the Faith 0. And each shop was under the price that Giant is advertising on their website, which is pretty sweet. Both places were really friendly and helpful over the phone. The guy who answered the phone at Ted's said they stocked some armor in the shop too but they usually ordered the FF helmets individually for each customer. I'm kinda leaning towards Ted's right now because they seem to cater more to the DH/FR scene and like hitechredneck said, they are closer to where we are planning on living. But, I'll check em both out when we arrive in Feb.

Dawson308-Definitely good advice about throwing a leg over the Glory. If I can find one I will do that. I am drawn to the Faith because it isn't as slack as the Glory. It seems more versatile to me. Plus there is the $1,300 increase in price for the Glory. $4k is the cap I was given by my wife. I just feel lucky that she supports my riding so much and is cool with it all!
    Last edited by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN; 11-07-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Oh, So Interesting!
    While I haven't rode both a faith and a glory, I have had a long travel fr bike and now a dh bike. I far prefer the dh bike. Many 2010 dh bikes are light and pedal well. The lack of a double front chainring isn't an issue, IMO, as if you need it on a heavy fr rig you won't be going faster than walking speed anyway. A 36t front and 11-34 cassette is plenty low enough gearing for a big bike, IMO. My dh bike actually pedals better and is lighter than my older fr bike anyway

If you can only have 1 bike something like the Reign X or Faith might be a good do-all bike for someone who wants to ride dh and fr on it too, but since you have a good trailbike that can handle more difficult trails why not get a bike that makes no compromises on the dh?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations on Ted's and Old Town. I called the shops last night and they both quoted really close prices for the Faith 0. And each shop was under the price that Giant is advertising on their website, which is pretty sweet. Both places were really friendly and helpful over the phone. The guy who answered the phone at Ted's said they stocked some armor in the shop too but they usually ordered the FF helmets individually for each customer. I'm kinda leaning towards Ted's right now because they seem to cater more to the DH/FR scene and like hitechredneck said, they are closer to where we are planning on living. But, I'll check em both out when we arrive in Feb.

Dawson308-Definitely good advice about throwing a leg over the Glory. If I can find one I will do that. I am drawn to the Faith because it isn't as steep as the Glory. It seems more versatile to me. Plus there is the $1,300 increase in price for the Glory. $4k is the cap I was given by my wife. I just feel lucky that she supports my riding so much and is cool with it all!
    As far as versatility goes I don't think the glory would really limit you much at all. As far as price goes, if you are paying cash I know my local shops are willing to knock off at least 20-23 percent off the msrp, so you may be able to get a Glory0 down around 4k. Don't be afraid to work them down on price some if they are willing to work with you.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    We have been searching in the Powers area and around Village 7. We aren't looking to buy, but if you have a house to rent we are definitely interested. We would like to have 2-3 bedrooms with 2 baths.
    We're selling a 3 bed/2 bath at Powers and Barnes which is about 4 miles from the park. However, if we haven't sold it by the end of the year, we're probably going to keep it and rent it out...

Regarding a full on DH bike vs. a freeride bike, having a granny gear is very important in my opinion. Palmer Park has some great trails that are "flat" meaning you are always doing little techy climbs or descents. I've seen people with serious legs run single ring bikes there, but most people would need a granny if they're on a heavy bike. Many of our local shuttles involve 1k plus feet of climbing (if you do them right) so a granny is nice to have there too. That being said, I looked at the Faith yesterday, and it doesn't look like it has a granny anyway--just a chain guide.

mtbr member
    We're selling a 3 bed/2 bath at Powers and Barnes which is about 4 miles from the park. However, if we haven't sold it by the end of the year, we're probably going to keep it and rent it out...
    We are definitely interested in a house in that area. PM me when ya'll decide on what you want to do.

Regarding a full on DH bike vs. a freeride bike, having a granny gear is very important in my opinion. Palmer Park has some great trails that are "flat" meaning you are always doing little techy climbs or descents. I've seen people with serious legs run single ring bikes there, but most people would need a granny if they're on a heavy bike. Many of our local shuttles involve 1k plus feet of climbing (if you do them right) so a granny is nice to have there too. That being said, I looked at the Faith yesterday, and it doesn't look like it has a granny anyway--just a chain guide.
    I know what you are saying about the granny gear. I would like to have it on the bike. What really seemed funny was that the Faith 1 has a granny gear but the 0 doesn't. Not sure why they decided that but whatever. I am thinking that I could just talk to the shop and negotiate for some different cranks and a chain guide that works with a dual setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawson308
    As far as versatility goes I don't think the glory would really limit you much at all. As far as price goes, if you are paying cash I know my local shops are willing to knock off at least 20-23 percent off the msrp, so you may be able to get a Glory0 down around 4k. Don't be afraid to work them down on price some if they are willing to work with you.
    Great idea about buying with cash! We will have the money and should be able to do that when I purchase the bike so I will def bring that up.