mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2009 Original Growler May 24th-Tough 64 and 32 Milers in Gunnison

We're at 98 registered riders today. All proceeds benefit Gunnison Trails, local self-powered trail advocacy organization working on establishing, among other things, an epic singletrack between Gunnison and Crested Butte.

The Original Growler, back for its second year, is a challenging 64-mile race thatís loaded with classic high-desert singletrack. The course is a 32-mile (ish) lap at the Hartman Rocks area on BLM public lands. The Original Growler does two laps while the Half-Growler is a classic one-lap race. Pick your poison and be prepared to climb over 4000 vertical feet per lap, but never more than tens, a few hundy at most, in one shot. Ride Hartman classics like Rattlesnake, Joshos and Skull Pass. One mass start for all categories, both distances. Start is at 7am sharp. Check last yearís results on the website for times (Travis Brown won in just over 6 hours.) THE BLM HAS CAPPED THIS RACE AT 200 RIDERS. www.gunnisontrails.com/events/growler

The Original Growler

<100%
    I have heard this race is AWESOME......It's a shame I'll be in AF. This one is definately on the list of things I want to do one day.

Goat of Legend
    Being my 32nd Birthday weekend and all. I may just have to show. Just for the 32 miler as tribute to my self. Andy, PBR....whatca guys think?

Bad Andy
    Doubt I'll be able to make it.
    My daughter has a soccer tourney that w/e (it's Memorial Day w/e), and son a baseball toruney. And I will have been gone the previous w/e hiking Little Bear Pk.
    Check your email about Monarch in Apr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just signed my death certificate for the 64 miler.
    Gulp.
    -jon

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Doubt I'll be able to make it.
    No Doubt its Memorial Day weekend. My Birthday is the 26th. I've taken off work from the 22nd of May till the 1st of June. Gotta explore the new state I live in. Just been here for 6 months ya know.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    May have to look at that, but don't forget about the 24hrs in the sage front range is going to represent this year with the 4 man ss category. we got 2nd last year out of 3 teams. 1st place were local boys.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    May have to look at that, but don't forget about the 24hrs in the sage front range is going to represent this year with the 4 man ss category. we got 2nd last year out of 3 teams. 1st place were local boys.

I may try a 12 or 24 hour on a team again one year but never again solo. My ADD doesn't do well with laps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    PBR - Front Range mixed with I-70 Mountain folk or are you supersizing and leaving the mountain kids behind for Sage? If it turned in to three of four SS teams right on for Sage. I'm in for the Growler - Geared. It's an awesome suffer fest, much more technical than the sage course. About half of the crew that signed up for 64 showed up in the 32 mile results. Didn't want to go for more... Think Laramie Enduro meets Dave Wien's brain and backyard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Any recommendations for camping in this area? I think I might roll in Friday night or Saturday morning. I've never been to the area, so I have no idea if there is camping close to the start. There doesn't seem to be any info on camping directly related to the race (on the webpage).
    Cheers!
    -jon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The KOA is awesome if that's your type of camping. (970) 641-1358. Very MTB friendly as in HQ for 24 Hours of Sage.

Dispersed camping is allowed on most BLM lands, just not at the Base Area off of Gold Basin Road. Access to BLM Lands (4 wheel drive is recommended):

County Rd 38/Gold Basin Road: This road turns south off of Highway 50 about 1.5 miles west of Gunnison; Look for BLM Hartman Rocks signage on 50; about 3 miles from Highway 50 (you'll go right by the KOA), turn right into Hartman Rocks Base Area parking lot (no camping here). Stay on the main road and proceed up the steep hill, and yes, you will be racing up it on the first lap, but it's only about 200 vertical feet. Once you get to the top and cross a cattle guard, you are on BLM Lands.

County Road 32/McCabe Lane: Access the same BLM area from a different road with different camping options. These two could meet if you know where you're going. Turn south on County Road 32 about 3 or 4 miles west of Gunnison on Highway 50. Proceed down this road looking for a gravel pit on your left. Take left fork soon after the gravel pit. There's a little parking area where this BLM road takes off from the county road. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Do you expect the KOA to get heavily used for the Growler? I usually prefer primitive camping, but on race weekends, sometimes the parks are fun if plenty of riders are there. Does that KOA have showers? Proximity to post race festivities?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm thinking the KOA is going to be rock'n with endurance trailrunners and MTB'ers that weekend. They have hot showers and are all about mountain biking. It's a bit over 2 miles from downtown, which is HQ for post race. Here's what's on tap for post race at the IOOF Park in downtown Gunni:

Cajun Meal catered by Sugah's Cafe. If you're fast or doing the Half Growler this will be lunch. If you take your time out there, it may be considered dinner. Awards, of course, around 6pm. Oh yeah, our friends from New Belgium will be there, first keg will be tapped when the first 64 miler gets to town. Perhaps some live music to go with the recorded tunes in the afternoon and word on the street has live music at the Gunnison Brewery (88 steps from the park) beginning around 9 or 10pm.

Consider bringing a light and a lock, too, if your high dollar MTB becomes your post race party ride. We don't see many bikes go missing but we'd hate for someone to take yours. Hey, just throw in your townie if you have room. Lots of hotels within easy walking distance, too. The KOA is more ambitious walking distance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

GPS File of race course?

Anyone have a gps file of the course? - Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004

info please

I plan on rolling into town late Saturday, is there a Sat night checkin that i need to make it too or will it all happen Sunday morning? Also, as far as far as food and water, is there a feed out on the course? When we finish the first lap, will we pass the start area? If i leave a cooler with water and gels in it, will i pass it between laps? Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Updates with race details are beginning to be posted here.

If this link doesn't work for you, try a different browser or here's the URL:

http://www.gunnisontrails.com/growler-updates/

Not mentioned in the current update is that a race organization truck will take bags and/or coolers with rider's feeds, if desired, from the start line in downtown. These will be set out for riders at the completion of the first lap, the half-way point for 64 mile riders. But there will be aid stations roughly every 15 miles stocked with water and PowerBar Endurance beverage (sorry no bottles). PowerBar bars and gels; bananas, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and or bagels, an omelet chef....actually, no omelet chef. There will be a good assortment of eats at the aid stations.

You can also have someone feed you anywhere on the course.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks

I had hit the 'Updates' section of the website a few times and it was always blank. I brought up Firefox and tried it and found all the info i was looking for. Thanks.

brg
    mtbr member
    will be course be marked for a pre-ride anytime this week?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    will be course be marked for a pre-ride anytime this week?
    I think one of their emails said it is marked, just not that well. Take the map to avoid getting lost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's marked pretty well now. Just the beginning of the dirt isn't really marked yet. Take the map so you can get an idea of the start lap, 2nd lap, etc. The start lap is to sort the field. It may seem complicated but once everyone is through we'll remark for lap 2 and you won't be able to go wrong. Also, we're starting to get some moisture and that place can take a lot and the riding gets really good if we've been getting consistent moisture. Epic, like a powder day at The Butte!