how heavy are you ??

2001 FSR XC seat stay crack

Just noticed a crack just above the disc mount on the seat stay. It is within a 5 year warranty period. What will they do .. how long to get another one sent to me?

just went to the dealer....
    said something about seat stay not being part of the bike .. but part of the suspension parts and they are saying something like that is covered for only one year?? If so how much will pay for a new frame FSR Stumpy if it is a crash replacment. I am betting that they dont have any of the older 2001 rear linkages lying around. And I think it would impossible to retrofit newer rear onto my old front end design changes etc.

Whattaya think all?

Scott

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not part of the bike huh...have them try riding without it. That is pure ********. They will not warranty the shock, fork, or components beyond the origional manufacturer's 1 year warranty. Seat stays, shock bridges, pivots, etc. that are made by Specialized are in fact part of the bike. If your shop doesn't support you, find another shop and don't go back. Make sure to tell them why. Bearings, bushings, and wear items are not in that catagory. Kind of like brake pads on a car, etc. If Specialized does not have the appropriate parts, they will likely provide the closest thing they have in the form of a new frame. Also, I remember them having a lifetime warranty, then it went to 5 years for a while, then back to lifetime. I believe they were covering everything lifetime. You may want to check on that. As far as timeline, my recent warranty through a different company took 2.5 months. Specialized is a bigger company, so I would expect less...good luck.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    Not part of the bike huh...have them try riding without it. That is pure ********. They will not warranty the shock, fork, or components beyond the origional manufacturer's 1 year warranty. Seat stays, shock bridges, pivots, etc. that are made by Specialized are in fact part of the bike. If your shop doesn't support you, find another shop and don't go back. Make sure to tell them why. Bearings, bushings, and wear items are not in that catagory. Kind of like brake pads on a car, etc. If Specialized does not have the appropriate parts, they will likely provide the closest thing they have in the form of a new frame. Also, I remember them having a lifetime warranty, then it went to 5 years for a while, then back to lifetime. I believe they were covering everything lifetime. You may want to check on that. As far as timeline, my recent warranty through a different company took 2.5 months. Specialized is a bigger company, so I would expect less...good luck.
    If you read Special Ed's warranty info, they warranty only the main frame on suspension bikes after the first year. The shop is following Special Ed's lead...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

how heavy are you ??

Wrc

found another crack at the seat tube junction therefore the whole bike is being warrantied and they are tossing in a DHX too for free

Which way? Uphill.
    Chekcing out my 2001 stumpy tonight with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for the reminder.