Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which 2 bikes for CO?

Decisions decisions. I haven't been riding my Titus much lately at all. I climb almost as fast on my Enduro, and it descends way better. No fatigue in my arms, which is nice. All of this wouldn't really matter if I didn't have illusions of grandeur of being a downhiller during summer. I took my Enduro to Keystone once last year and could tell it was pushing the limits for that bike.

So, has anyone else been in my dilemma? What did you decide?

Living the High Life
    I've been through a very similar situation in the last year. I had a Enduro Elite 150mm with a DHX air on back. I thought it rocked coming down the front range, I also rode it at Keystone one day and it did pretty well. It felt sketchy on the double blacks though, not enough slack in the head angle.

I think it would have been a fine front range bike except for that DHX Air. I don't care what people say about how you can pedal with one of those. Yeah you can, I've rode Apex and Deer Creek with it. But you know what? I was almost always last and people were waiting for me. That's a DH shock.

I sold my Enduro (it was a size too small too) and I am getting another 6" bike, but it will have a Rock Shox Monarch on back so it will pedal better. While I'm waiting for the parts to come in on the new bike I've been riding my hard tail commuter, its no where near as fun. Yeah I can ride Dakota on it, but it could be a lot more fun with a Float 36 instead of some $89 Marz POS.

For Keystone I have a full DH bike, I took my Enduro there out of curiosity really, I wanted to see what it could handle. I think the front range is fine on a 6" travel 32 lb bike. As long as you have it set up to pedal decent. If you're riding double blacks at the resorts, its time to get a DH bike
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Oh, So Interesting!
    fwiw, I'm thinking of a 3 bike* plan...

1. DH Bike: Uzzi VPX w/slacker dropouts, 42 ;lbs. A bike that will take the abuse of resort/shuttle days...

2. AM/FR Bike: Trek Remedy, < 31 lbs**. When you have to pedal, but don't want to be limited on the dh. This bike can do anything.

3. TBD bike used for maximum efficiency from point to point, backcountry travel. Light 29er? XC race bike?... not sure yet...

[SIZE="1"]*plus a dj / 4x bike
    **< 3 does not look like boobs.[/SIZE]

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ride a Yeti 575 as my go to 'trail' bike - obviously handles everything around extremely well. climbs well, fast and sure on the descent.

I'd like to get a stout DH and/or bigger hit park bike, but the 575 handles everything but the resorts.
    Spiral out, keep going...

mtbr member
    SS 29r Rigid.

mtbr member
    What kind of DH bikes do you guys have? I'm going tomorrow to look at a used Bullit. The only thing I'm worried about with a DH bike is that my ego is bigger than my balls, and I won't end up riding that much.

The more I've been riding my Enduro the more I love it. If you get the seat up high and spin rather than cram on the pedals, the bike climbs just as fast as the Titus really. The other thing about the Titus is that I'm never going to be the fastest guy, so I might as well just be comfortable.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What kind of DH bikes do you guys have? I'm going tomorrow to look at a used Bullit. The only thing I'm worried about with a DH bike is that my ego is bigger than my balls, and I won't end up riding that much.

The more I've been riding my Enduro the more I love it. If you get the seat up high and spin rather than cram on the pedals, the bike climbs just as fast as the Titus really. The other thing about the Titus is that I'm never going to be the fastest guy, so I might as well just be comfortable.

I think you answered your own question. You like the enduro, ride it.

What are you trying to achieve? If you want optimal times on every ride, then you need a specific bike and specific knowledge of the trail. If you want to have fun, ride what you like.

For some people riding is about superfast times. For others it's the feeling one gets whe the bike is just the tool that brings a person to a great experience of the world.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Riding dh is fun, I doubt you'll regret it. It also makes you a much better trail rider. I'd go for something longer, lower and slacker than the Bullit though. ~65 HA and 14" BB....

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    True, but the Titus will keep all my body parts in one piece. I'm not quite so sure a DH bike will!

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by rungmonkey
    SS 29r Rigid.
    +1, yes, I plan to have several of those, always good to have a backup. Well..I am actually going to try a sus fork here for a few on one but still skeptical on that really...

<100%
    Your Enduro is capable of anything. You can ride it at resorts all year with minor mods (my Dt 420 sl rims lasted about three months, the sidewalls on the s-works eskars are not tough enough for lift served riding, add a Joplin seatpost). You can race it downhill or XC. Obviously, you'll be faster in a DH race with a DH bike or racing XC on your Racer-X. I got rid of my hardtail two months after I got mine. I have no need for a short travel xc bike becuase I don't race Xc and even if I did, I don't make my living doing it. On the other hand, I would like a DH bike because I do race DH occasionally and as good as the Enduro performs, it won't stand up to the repeated pounding it will get as a race bike. Give DH a try if want. You don't need to buy a DH bike just to try it. Use the Enduro. If you addicted to racing DH, sell the RX and buy a DH bike.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    ... < 31 lbs**...

[SIZE="1"]**< 3 does not look like boobs.[/SIZE]
    Does to me. Boobs with a dunce hat.

Why limit yourself to three bikes? That's just silly.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

trail waggler

Definitely...

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    it's the feeling one gets when the bike is just the tool that brings a person to a great experience of the world.
    Call it a personal pleasure device!

If you have fun on your bike, and can keep up with the hoodlums you ride with, 'den 'dats 'da bike 'fer you!!

I'm glad that I only have one bike, I can barely decide which TRAIL to ride, the permutations involved with multiple bikes would fry my thought-thinker!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    If you like DH then two bikes is very nice for our area. I have a fat (coil both ends) Ibis Mojo for all my "other riding" and was on a used Intense M1 I picked up from Craigslist at the end of the summer of 2007 for all my DH needs. I only just this winter upgraded it to a new DH bike (I still need to sell my M1 frame and wheelset).

Last year I pretty much switched to big bike mode for the summer as I started racing the MSC for the first time ever (40+ old slow guys category - insanely fun decision) and for the rest of the year and after work rides my Mojo took me to all sorts of riding trails. This year I am on the big bike much earlier since it is new and shiny.

If you think you might enjoy DH then keep an eye on craigslist as this time of the year is when a lot of great deals on older frames and parts will start to appear letting you get a good used DH bike for probably under $1500.

skillz to pay billz
    yeti 575
    spot SS 29er

SS cross bike commuter thingy

a DH bike would be fun but I haven't got the fever yet.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Why limit yourself to three bikes? That's just silly.
    Yeah! Mr. Full Trucker has stated "the number of bikes you need is n+1, n being the number you currently own". Seems to work for snowboarding too, I'm always looking for another board.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Living the High Life
    What kind of DH bikes do you guys have?
    Here's my two, but I'm selling the one on the left. Keep in mind I race DH not just ride resorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stand back
    Look at how your bikes are currently set up. If you want the Titus to descend better, get cushy tires, a shorter stem and be able to drop the seat for the way down.
    That being said, I'm a big fan of slack and low. IMO, you can learn to climb on nearly anything (simply move your weight further forward over a shorter stem), but for descending, having your hands far in front of the axle is tough to overcome.

I currently have 2 duallies - one is 6" travel (gemini), the other is 4.25" travel (spec sx), but both are set up to descend (50mm stems). I actually rode more lift served dh on the sx last year than the gemini. That might've been poor judgement, but it was still fun.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Used bikes on Craigslist is my crack. That's where I found the Bullit I'm going to look at tonight. We'll see what it looks like. If it's decent enough, I'll be posting pictures here tonight.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    ...I'm selling the one on the left.
    SPAM! SPAM! OMGBBQSPAMPWNED!
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    Here's my two, but I'm selling the one on the left. Keep in mind I race DH not just ride resorts.
    I'm an XC guy but at races have always noticed DH riders have their seats tilted up. Just curious... why is that??
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

..ouch
    Used bikes on Craigslist is my crack. That's where I found the Bullit I'm going to look at tonight. We'll see what it looks like. If it's decent enough, I'll be posting pictures here tonight.
    The Bullit will get it done, but it's not a DH bike. If you get into DH then you'll end up wishing you had picked up something with a slacker HA.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    SPAM! SPAM! OMGBBQSPAMPWNED!
    I didn't ask any of you buck wonders to buy it

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchimtb
    I'm an XC guy but at races have always noticed DH riders have their seats tilted up. Just curious... why is that??
    Its a delicate balance between hitting your tire on the seat (tilted too far back) and catching the goods when you've got your butt over your rear axle (titled too far forward).

..ouch
    Diggin the Commencal Ithnu.. nice build.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast