Thread: 1x9 chain line

Misses elastomer shocks

1x9 chain line

So before I get chided, I did use the search function before I posted

I don't want to use one of those clunky DH chain guides, or a bash ring for that matter if I can avoid it, but I'm having one heck of a time keeping the chain on my 1x9. In fact, I've actually made it a 1x8 by taking the second smallest cog and putting it all the way to the inside of the freewheel body to act as a spacer narrowing the spread of the cassette by one full gear. This worked, mostly, but the chain still drops unless I'm in the biggest going downhill.

I'm considering shortening the chain, but I don't want to stress the rear derailleur. Is this the answer? Any other suggestions? Is this just a part of life with a 1x9?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by suprcivic
    So before I get chided, I did use the search function before I posted

I don't want to use one of those clunky DH chain guides, or a bash ring for that matter if I can avoid it, but I'm having one heck of a time keeping the chain on my 1x9. In fact, I've actually made it a 1x8 by taking the second smallest cog and putting it all the way to the inside of the freewheel body to act as a spacer narrowing the spread of the cassette by one full gear. This worked, mostly, but the chain still drops unless I'm in the biggest going downhill.

I'm considering shortening the chain, but I don't want to stress the rear derailleur. Is this the answer? Any other suggestions? Is this just a part of life with a 1x9?
    Use a light weight bashguard in combination with an N-Gear Jump Stop.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Blackspire Badger

I have had great luck with the blackspire chain tensioner. I think it's called the badger. At any rate, it is a simple mount with a tension wheel that mounts between your bb shell and cup or to iscg mounts if you have them. It's lightweight, costs $25 and it's easy to install.

I use it with a dual riung set up so it should work perfect for a single ring.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

what nice teeth you have
    Check this thread out:
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Use an old derailleur as a chaing guide. I picked up a Rohloff chain guide and use that, a bit pricey, but effective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    Use an old derailleur as a chaing guide. I picked up a Rohloff chain guide and use that, a bit pricey, but effective.
    Also called a railleur. I agree on both ideas here. It is cheap and works like it should.
    Scott T.
    Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop in Denver
    MOUNTAIN / COMMUTE / TOUR
    http://www.salvagetti.com

Misses elastomer shocks
    nadinno-

that thread was really helpful. thanks