mtbr member

1x9... any problems? And how bout this craigslist bike?

I like the idea of a 1x9 (or 8, or whatever).

With a 1x9 setup, is there any issue with chain alignment? Is that too many gears for a single cog up front to align with?

Also, I dig the looks of this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2374693645.html

Is that a decent price?

Thanks... -Eric

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E

With a 1x9 setup, is there any issue with chain alignment? Is that too many gears for a single cog up front to align with?

Is that a decent price?

Thanks... -Eric

unless you're a little fella, a 16" frame is going to be a bit snug.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    the bike seems fine for the price as long as the wheels are straight and the fork isn't toast. that frame dent does not look like much in the photo anyway. more than likely the fork stanchions are done, but at that price you could just ride it into the ground and not worry about it.

however if you are not a 16" frame, that usually is 5'6" or so then just walk away and keep looking. it would s*ck to ride this bike if you were 5'10" or so.

what you really need to ask yourself is if you want a 26" wheel hardtail--only one guy on this forum is buying one right now
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Those look like 24" wheels? Are you sure it's not a kids bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 5'6" and I ride a 16" 456. All the On-One frames run long on the top tube. I'm not sure how tall is too tall, but for awhile I thought about downsizing to the 14" to shorten things up and make the bike more flickable.

I have almost this same set-up (1x9, 140 for travel up front) on my 456 and it rocks. There are plenty of people still riding 26" hardtails! C'mon Front Range, all mountain hardtails are the new thing. Catch up.

Best 26er all mountain hard tail........

mtbr member
    At 5'6", I am short and have a pretty short inseam too (30")... I typically have ridden 16" to 17" frames (or S or M), depending on the geometry, frame make, etc. For true technical riding (which is a lot of what I enjoy) I typically have preferred riding a frame on the small side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    what you really need to ask yourself is if you want a 26" wheel hardtail--only one guy on this forum is buying one right now
    I definitely don't want a 29er... I've tried several and never liked. I don't know if it's my height (5'6"), but 29in wheels just seem too big to me.

I'd be open to FS, but the prevailing theme here is that I'd need to spend a good bit more money to get anything worthwhile.

I'm really not looking all that seriously, probably only dreaming really. I really should just save up more money before I get serious about buying anything.

I'm intrigued with the 1x9 idea, that's more what my original post had to do with. Are there any inherent problems with running a 1x9 setup ("crossing" of the chain for instance)?

Thanks for all the input... -Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedmindset
    I'm 5'6" and I ride a 16" 456. All the On-One frames run long on the top tube. I'm not sure how tall is too tall, but for awhile I thought about downsizing to the 14" to shorten things up and make the bike more flickable.

I have almost this same set-up (1x9, 140 for travel up front) on my 456 and it rocks. There are plenty of people still riding 26" hardtails! C'mon Front Range, all mountain hardtails are the new thing. Catch up.

Best 26er all mountain hard tail........

Cool vid! Thanks for the info singlespeed... does the 1x9 setup ever cause you any issues? Are there issues with how the chain aligns through all the gears?

Thanks again, -e

Team Velveeta™

chain drop

With a 1x9 setup, is there any issue with chain alignment? Is that too many gears for a single cog up front to align with? ...
    Friends of mine who've used 1x9 setups have had some issues with the chain jumping off on rattly downhills. Without a front derailleur or tensioner, nothing to stop the chain coming off up front.

I haven't run this setup on an offroad bike (my townie has it now). But I've thought about it before because it seems like a really good idea. But I will say that on wild-ass downhills I often throw my chain onto granny from middle if I'm not pedaling. I try to remember to shift onto the big ring to tighten up the chain when I start.

As always, YMMV. Your 1x9 might never do this.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The only issue with 1x9 is you need to do something to keep the chain on the chainring. There are a number of options ranging from downhill-style chain retention systems to chain keepers. I personally use an n-gear jumpstop and a bashguard. This has done the job for me. If you're not worried about bashing your chainring, some of the new offerings from MRP look like a good option.
    http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/1x/
    There's also a ridiculously expensive option from Paul.
    http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html
    There is always the poor-man's option of using your existing derailleur...

You shouldn't have any chain alignment issues unless you put on some weird sized bottom bracket. Your standard 3 ring crankset should already line up pretty well if you put your single chainring in the middle position. I've never had issue using my full range of cogs while on my middle ring with a triple set-up. I've also used Truvativ and RaceFace singlespeed cranksets and have achieved good alignment, though some claim that RaceFace has more offset than other brands.

mtbr member
    Thanks for replies everyone... on this particular bike, seems it's a moot point since the seller doesn't respond to emails. Just love when craigslist sellers don't list their phone number.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Is that a decent price?

Thanks... -Eric
    Thats my bike. I didn't have much(any) interest in the complete bike so I started parting it out. I've only sold the fork.

I have a chain stop on the inside of the chainring and never had any problems with dropping the chain. The chainline was fine... no rubbing, etc.

The Inbred frame does have a long top tube for its seat tube. For reference, I ride a medium giant trance x.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for replies everyone... on this particular bike, seems it's a moot point since the seller doesn't respond to emails. Just love when craigslist sellers don't list their phone number.
    I haven't received an email from that ad from anyone interested in the complete bike.
    ( EDIT: found in spam folder )
    Last edited by alldownhill; 05-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks alldownhill... got your email. Ah well, no biggie, probably wishful thinking on my part anyway. Thanks for the info about the 1x9 setup though, I think I'd really like to do that. Maybe my GT Peace could be converted to that type of rig. Thanks again... -E