mtbr member
    May 2006

18 Hours of Fruita - start?

Does anyone know how they start out the 18 Hours of Fruita?

Is it Le Mans style like Moab? Run with your bike style like E-Rock?

I'm curious how they organize it in the dark to avoid a massive bottle-neck when the course narrows to singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't remember exactly - I think it's Le Mans though. But, I don't think you have to worry about bottle-necking too bad though. Most of the folks there are doing it for some fun competition and realize they aren't winning the thing. So, they're not trying hard to be at the front of the line from the start. There are also a number of stretches of course where the trail spills onto dirt road which is more than ample for passing if you do get somebody faster on foot, but slower on the bike in front of you.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    Does anyone know how they start out the 18 Hours of Fruita?

Is it Le Mans style like Moab? Run with your bike style like E-Rock?

I'm curious how they organize it in the dark to avoid a massive bottle-neck when the course narrows to singletrack.
    Le mans style. Short run without your bike, then ride. An almost immediate super steep and short climb that people hose up and walk, which directly turns into singletrack.

All that being said, people are fairly chill and there are ample opportunities to pass throughout the course, assuming a small amount of patience. Just keep in mind that there are 18 hours to race...

Have fun and see ya out there!
    baker