locked - time out

1/12/05 ESPN S-Park?

Inspired by The Hookler's post and the fact that I hope to have my hardtail in a ridable state tommorrow, I was thinking of hitting the 9-11pm session @ the CO Mills (X games) skatepark Weds night, anyone interested?

Rides Uphill Slow
    I would love to go but Wedensday is no good for me. How about later in the week?

locked - time out
    I haven't been there this season, but last year they only had bike sessions Mon, Weds & Sun - I'll have to check out their site and see what the schedule looks like this year.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 01-10-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Just the wedensday is bad for me. Any other Wedensday is good. Let me know if you find out the when bikers can go. Does it get busy with bikers?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler
    Just the wedensday is bad for me. Any other Wedensday is good. Let me know if you find out the when bikers can go. Does it get busy with bikers?
    Late last season was pretty good (by good, I mean that there were half dozen MTBs there on any given night) It can get busy at times, but it is usually not bad - it lacks the "post apocalyptic free for all" feel that plagues the Denver park, most of the people @ ESPN are familiar with the line / turn concept. There are lots of bmx bikes there most of the time, but they're all pretty cool about sharing "their" space and I've yet to hear anything negative from them.

It's kind of funny - I saw Hannah Stefans there (and Denver) quite a bit last year and would shoot the sh1t with her from time to time - then I saw her in the back of Flow, then in ChainReaction 5, recently she had a super short crash / hospital section in NSX 8 - and now you can't pick up an issue of Decline or some other FR related mag without seeing her pretty face. Apparently she just got picked up by Cannondale. Nothing earth shattering I suppose, but it's kind of wild to watch someone that you ride around frequently do so well.

Perpetually single track
    Interested, but wholly uncommitted. What's it like there? I have zero park skills but would love to improve on them. Plus side is improving on zero ain't hard. Stuff there a newbie would hit?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Interested, but wholly uncommitted. What's it like there? I have zero park skills but would love to improve on them. Plus side is improving on zero ain't hard. Stuff there a newbie would hit?
    Plenty of good stuff there - you don't really need any skills to have fun there and improve - there is pretty much something for anyone. Additionally, it is much less intimidating to hit wooden ramps in a well-lit, heated area, than to hit concrete, outdoors in 20 degree weather, with a million people around (Denver skatepark)

Stand back

oh, i don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Plenty of good stuff there - you don't really need any skills to have fun there and improve - there is pretty much something for anyone. Additionally, it is much less intimidating to hit wooden ramps in a well-lit, heated area, than to hit concrete, outdoors in 20 degree weather, with a million people around (Denver skatepark)

I think developing anti snaking abilities and performing under pressure (in the dark and cold) helps - it's skills you can use at the kayak park, terrain parks, the office...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I think developing anti snaking abilities and performing under pressure (in the dark and cold) helps - it's skills you can use at the kayak park, terrain parks, the office...
    True dat...

I remember the first time I flipped over in my kayak. I was, somehow, too stupid to consider doing a wet exit before I actually needed to. I remember I went over very slowly - and when I was completely upside down, in the Platte - with one person around, 15 yards away and doing his own thing, it hit me... "OH MY F$%#ING GOD - I AM GOING TO DIE!!!"

I started clawing at my skirt and slamming my knees against it from the inside of the kayak (kind of like trampolines, those neoprene skirts are). Fortunately, the guy who told me that he'd watch out for me while I attempted my watery escape into the world beyond mentioned, before I left the shore, that I should make sure that the grab loop was on the outside of my skirt to prevent my kayak from filling with p1ss during a terror filled and futile attempt to will (or claw) my way back to fresh air. Somehow I managed to remember this during my little sub aquatic fit - and pulled my loop. I was so stoked when my head popped out of the water.

Speaking of - we (Jerry, or anyone else here who kayaks) should try to go hit the DU pool soon - it's only $5 to practice rolls, cartwheels, etc... in heated water for 1.5 hours.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 01-10-2005 at 03:44 PM.

dwj
    mtbr member
    they have thursday night sesion from 4:45-6:45 and every week day they allow bikes during the first two sesions.

Stand back

Speaking of - we (Jerry, or anyone else here who kayaks) should try to go hit the DU pool soon - it's only $5 to practice rolls, cartwheels, etc... in heated water for 1.5 hours.
    I've always been able to get out ok, maybe it's just luck or picking boats with large cockpits and lots of volume.
    I'll axe the doc when I see him on the 26th bout kayaking. Or guess I could axe my PT, I see her tomorrow. I'd probly be ok at the pool, so long as I don't try flatwater wheels or anything crazy...
    Golden Bike Park

locked - time out
    I've always been able to get out ok, maybe it's just luck or picking boats with large cockpits and lots of volume.
    I'll axe the doc when I see him on the 26th bout kayaking. Or guess I could axe my PT, I see her tomorrow. I'd probly be ok at the pool, so long as I don't try flatwater wheels or anything crazy...
    Yeah - I can get out fine now, better yet, I am swimming with decreasing frequency (5% of the time, now) as my roll gets better. I think it was just my panicked state that made it seem like I spent 5 minutes upside down.

Stand back

5% of what?

Yeah - I can get out fine now, better yet, I am swimming with decreasing frequency (5% of the time, now) as my roll gets better. I think it was just my panicked state that made it seem like I spent 5 minutes upside down.
    5% of your time boating is spent swimming, or you're swimming 5% of every time you tip over?
    The upside to swimming a lot is you get good at self rescue...

so the first two sessions as expn, what time are they?
    Golden Bike Park

dwj
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dbabuse so the first two sessions as expn, what time are they?[/QUOTE]

10-12 & 12:15-12:30

locked - time out
    5% of your time boating is spent swimming, or you're swimming 5% of every time you tip over?
    The upside to swimming a lot is you get good at self rescue...

so the first two sessions as expn, what time are they?
    I now swim on 5% of my flips - for awhile there I was tempted to stencil "Swims with Boat" on the side of my kayak, it took forever (well, it seemed that way) to get my first combat roll. Flat water was no problem, but if I got flipped unexpectedly - I'd swim every time. Fortunately I got past it after I went out with my brother who made me feel like a p#ssy after he stuck his roll the first time he flipped in the park.

Perpetually single track
    Hey ST, this still on for tonight? I'm planning on hitting it, assuming nothing stupid comes up.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Hey ST, this still on for tonight? I'm planning on hitting it, assuming nothing stupid comes up.
    Yeah - I'm hoping that my tires show up today, but if they don't I'll just be riding the AC instead of the hardtail. See you there(?)

Stand back

steelhead

ST - What's that Steelhead build look like? What kinda tires you waiting on? Give us the parts run down.
    Golden Bike Park

Perpetually single track
    yeah...I plan on it...either the heckler or the steelhead.

locked - time out
    I'll be there 9pm tonight - sorry, I'll tell ya about the bike later, I've gotta run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

locked - time out
    I'll be there 9pm tonight - sorry, I'll tell ya about the bike later, I've gotta run.
    Okay -

'03 Fox Float RLC fork
    XT hubs / Rhyno Lites
    XT / Ritchey headset
    Titec Stem (90)
    Specialized 1.5 risers
    XT 6" disc front
    Avid V rear
    Highroller Semi Slick 2.35 F&R
    Kalloy seatpost / specialized seat
    Lock on grips
    AND...

A set of '98 XT cranks / B.B. - which, after last night, have taken on a strange ride quality that I think I can do without. Feel free to contact me if you have a set of DH / FR cranks / BB in good condition for sale.

Perpetually single track
    Good times Josh at the park...if you see Wes, tell him thanks for letting me use his rig, and for the coaching tips.

Stand back

so how's it work?

Sweet build. I'm gonna need some sk8pk tires for mine.
    Is that fork set at 100mm? how's it handle?
    Golden Bike Park

locked - time out
    Sweet build. I'm gonna need some sk8pk tires for mine.
    Is that fork set at 100mm? how's it handle?
    The fork feels decent, although it's too early to say really - the bike felt very different from the last two hardtails I've had and I felt downright clumsy the first hour and a half or so. Jenson has those HighRoller semislicks for $15 apiece right now, I'm hoping that they will prove to be a good comprise between my Hookworms and an actual DH tire.

Cynical Bystander
    The fork feels decent, although it's too early to say really - the bike felt very different from the last two hardtails I've had and I felt downright clumsy the first hour and a half or so. Jenson has those HighRoller semislicks for $15 apiece right now, I'm hoping that they will prove to be a good comprise between my Hookworms and an actual DH tire.
    Those are some sweet tires! I'm rockin them on my SC Titan as well. DanD, DH'er16, and mtbkid all have them on their street bikes as well. The consensus (sp?) seems to be that they are sweet tires. DanD has taken them all over palmer and said the only real problems he had were when he was on the stairs part of edna mae.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.