mtbr member
    Jul 2008

09 falcon trail race and 2010 falcon trail 50!

Does anyone know where I can find last years times from that race, the states games website only shows the winners and they dont even show there times?

On another note, I was told there is going to be a falcon trail 50 this year 4 laps.
    Last edited by jdubb12; 01-28-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: had to add to the title

I'm with stupid
    a falcon trail 50? do tell info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thats what the guy at pro cycle said, cant remember when it is though.

Candlestick Maker
    I'd be interested in the 50. Close to home and a good fun trail (with a nice amount of climbing).
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A 50 right nearby would be nice - and a few of talked of a 24 hr there too, though it has been a while since I've heard if there was progress with trying to put that event on.

Times for 2009: I had words and emails with Andy Bohlman of Sand Creek who ran it in conjunction with the State Games. He said he was not going to post times, not on his website, and obviously not on the State Games website. Not sure why, I suspect it was more frustration with the few rough spots with coordination with State Games folks. Despite that, it was quite well run as Sandcreek normally does.

I did this race in 2007 and 2009. This year I was set up tire-wise for a sketchy, dry course but the day turned out damp so tire choice and the ability to use them in the corners was less of a factor than just plain old fitness and climbing.

From memory - and since there are no split times, these are average. I suspect everyone's first lap is quicker:

JJ Clark owns this course - both 2007 and 2009 he ran back to back laps in the 57 min range per lap.

Greg Frozely was in there too, perhaps a sub-hour, then just over an hour.

Alison Dunlap ran two 1:02 or 1:04 minute laps and won the women's pro.

In 2007 I won the Sport and sandbagging Expert (no single day license for Expert) with a 1:01:30 single lap. I suspect to win the sport without the sandbaggers would be the 1:05ish range, though not sure.

In 2009, I won the whopping 3-person Maverick class (1 day license for experts) with a 1:06 followed by about a 1:14 or so. Hard to tell on the second lap - I stopped 3 times to help folks with flat fixing gear donations and to check on a friend who cramped both legs at once in that top parking lot and was laying over in the Yucca's! I was mid-pack in the 12-15 or so Experts with those times, which seems to be normally where I finish if I get off my arse and do some training. First lap was a ton of bottlenecking - fast climbers, but slow descenders, so practice those starts!

later,
    jon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i was told they cant do a 24hr on the falcon trail cause its on a military base and they wont allow it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I wouldn't write off the possibility of a 24 hour in there yet, there is precedence with the horse crowd staying Fri-Sun nights and doing endurance events on parts of Falcon, the horse trails South, West, and all the way North up to the rock formations.

They camp behind and slightly west of the fire station - in a valley you cannot really see. The entrance is typically cabled off and appears to be a residence - but past that is a nice large grassy area. It has real easy access to the Falcon Trail from that campsite - in the Southern area near the wooden bridge crossings and stream crossings. They skipped it for a few years after 9/11, but they are back at it at least the last couple years. 60+ horse trailers and pickups and gear going in there for the weekend, and they cover 22 mile loops during the day.

Granted, completely different logistics, and they are leveraging the existence of stables, but at least there is a multi-day camping kind of precedence to maybe get a foot in the door.

jon.

mtbr member
    In the emails I've had back and forth with Andy about the Sand Creek races this year, he hasn't said anything about the Falcon endurance race. He's calling it a 100k though.

There is plans in the works for a 50 miler at Victor in September but right now that one is definitely tenative.

Doing a 24 hour race that goes around the sensitive cadet area is very different than camping on the southern part of the AFA but it would be cool if there were a 24 hour race.

I did a post on the CTS Summer of Cycling races last week. Although it's not mountain bike, they've gotten final approval for State Road Championships at the AFA since I wrote the post.