Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881

    [X-POST] From Passion - The Wedge

    This is an X-POST from Passion, because you live to close to pass this one up.


    What's in a name? Ok, I'll skip the Shakespear and begin my love affair. Love affair with a name? If I could figure out the actual name of this place, I'd probably inscribe it on the back of leg. When we researched the ride, Goodwater seemed to be the common name, then we saw the BLM sign which said The Wedge, then the Little Grand Canyon, and so on. I'm sticking with The Wedge for reasons you'll soon read about.



    Mountain bikers tend to throw around the Epic word left and ride. What defines Epic? Is it length, technical features, location, or any combination of the above? I have ridden many "epic" trails, heck I have even helped build some. All of them have their little special characteristics. But, what if I told you that you could finally ride the Grand Canyon? Ok, not the Grand Canyon, but a damn good alternative. What if someone decided to build a 15 mile singletrack around the edge of the canyon? What if on every turn of the bike, the most unbelievable views awaited you? What if you started smiling at the first turn and never stopped?



    Do you see that? Are we going to ride around this? You bet!



    Fifteen miles of flowy, twisty, turny sigletrack. If you want downhill or technical, this isn't for you. If you want life changing views and the XC ride of your life, you need to be here.





    Did you ever get the feeling you weren't the first one here?



     

    So what's the caveat? I mean, there has to be one, right? Yes, you have to really want this one. Enough to drive 21 miles on a dirt road to get there. Bit, it is worth it. VERY worth it.



    This is quite possibly the most scenic singletrack ride I have ever been on. Copper Canyon, MX doesn't count (it's not really singletrack).

    Here's some video:


  2. #2
    ENDO!!!
    Reputation: The Yetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    587
    Ok, not to come of as slow.... but where is this?
    Just circles turning circles....

  3. #3
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
    Ok, not to come of as slow.... but where is this?
    In The Swell, West of Moab.

  4. #4
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Wow.

    That view kinda sucks.

    So too close? What kind of drive time are we talking about from the front range?

  5. #5
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Wow.

    That view kinda sucks.

    So too close? What kind of drive time are we talking about from the front range?
    If you are going to Moab, then make the extra 90 minute trek. You can also camp there. The campsites are breathtaking, with campsite #1 perched on the edge (literally).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,042
    Very cool....thanks for posting.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Phatpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    87
    Awesome!
    Made me think of this:

  8. #8
    youenjoymyself
    Reputation: wooph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    79
    first thing I thought of too, Phatpants.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    This is an X-POST from Passion, because you live to close to pass this one up.


    What's in a name? Ok, I'll skip the Shakespear and begin my love affair. Love affair with a name? If I could figure out the actual name of this place, I'd probably inscribe it on the back of leg. When we researched the ride, Goodwater seemed to be the common name, then we saw the BLM sign which said The Wedge, then the Little Grand Canyon, and so on. I'm sticking with The Wedge for reasons you'll soon read about.



    Mountain bikers tend to throw around the Epic word left and ride. What defines Epic? Is it length, technical features, location, or any combination of the above? I have ridden many "epic" trails, heck I have even helped build some. All of them have their little special characteristics. But, what if I told you that you could finally ride the Grand Canyon? Ok, not the Grand Canyon, but a damn good alternative. What if someone decided to build a 15 mile singletrack around the edge of the canyon? What if on every turn of the bike, the most unbelievable views awaited you? What if you started smiling at the first turn and never stopped?



    Do you see that? Are we going to ride around this? You bet!



    Fifteen miles of flowy, twisty, turny sigletrack. If you want downhill or technical, this isn't for you. If you want life changing views and the XC ride of your life, you need to be here.





    Did you ever get the feeling you weren't the first one here?



     

    So what's the caveat? I mean, there has to be one, right? Yes, you have to really want this one. Enough to drive 21 miles on a dirt road to get there. Bit, it is worth it. VERY worth it.



    This is quite possibly the most scenic singletrack ride I have ever been on. Copper Canyon, MX doesn't count (it's not really singletrack).

    Here's some video:

    Hey Mitch, what's the secret with Vimeo vids posted on this forum. I can never get them to run.

    I've been all over The Swell and never heard of this place but I guess I was looking for slot canyons to hike in.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  10. #10
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    845
    This the wedge I was thinking of:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [X-POST] From Passion - The Wedge-wedge.png  

    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    352

    You beat me to it...

    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    This the wedge I was thinking of:
    That was my first thought as well!

  12. #12
    FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Reputation: mtn hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatpants
    Awesome!
    Made me think of this:

    Ugh. At least warn us if you're going to post up something like that.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,545
    Very Cool!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    I figured it out. I had to click on the "Vimeo" tab on the right, that took me into Vimeo and it ran from there, not from the embedded link here. Cool vid. I also saw your slot canyon vid over on Vimeo. Love that stuff.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  15. #15
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Hey Mitch, what's the secret with Vimeo vids posted on this forum. I can never get them to run.

    I've been all over The Swell and never heard of this place but I guess I was looking for slot canyons to hike in.
    You must have some kind of setting in your browser. I use Google Chrome and they play fine.

  16. #16
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I figured it out. I had to click on the "Vimeo" tab on the right, that took me into Vimeo and it ran from there, not from the embedded link here. Cool vid. I also saw your slot canyon vid over on Vimeo. Love that stuff.
    Shhh... That's supposed to be Bear Grylls.


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Shhh... That's supposed to be Bear Grylls.


    Better try to fake an English accent rather than an Australian one. I know that slot, too. It's.......
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Phatpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Ugh. At least warn us if you're going to post up something like that.
    Not everyone can appreciate awesome tunes, a warning will be issued in the future.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    I'm assuming the canyon has a large outflow canyon where you had to turn around. So it's a 15 mile horseshoe shaped trail and it could theoretically be a 30 mile out and back?

    IOW, I'm guessing you didn't loop this sum*****. Any more pics you got peering down into the canyon would be appreciated I've been in that general area looking for pictographs (or is that petroglyphs?) and I remember it taking forever to drive there on dusty dirt roads. Pretty cool when I got there but one needs to be psyched up for the drive there and back.

    When you're back in there you in the middle of nowhere.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm assuming the canyon has a large outflow canyon where you had to turn around. So it's a 15 mile horseshoe shaped trail and it could theoretically be a 30 mile out and back?

    IOW, I'm guessing you didn't loop this sum*****. Any more pics you got peering down into the canyon would be appreciated I've been in that general area looking for pictographs (or is that petroglyphs?) and I remember it taking forever to drive there on dusty dirt roads. Pretty cool when I got there but one needs to be psyched up for the drive there and back.

    When you're back in there you in the middle of nowhere.
    It takes about an hour to drive to the trail head from exit 129 on I-70. The drive is all on dirt roads that are mostly in good condition... for now. The single track is 15 miles, follows the rim of Good Water Canyon and can be ridden as a 30 mile out and back or can be looped by riding 6 miles of dirt roads for 21 miles total. We did the loop with the roads. The single track begins and ends overlooking the Little Grand Canyon and the San Rafael River. There is very little elevation change on the single track portion of this ride so you must like pedaling because you rarely get a break.

    For more info, go to utahmountainbiking.com and look for Good Water Canyon in the Green River/San Rafael area.

  21. #21
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm assuming the canyon has a large outflow canyon where you had to turn around. So it's a 15 mile horseshoe shaped trail and it could theoretically be a 30 mile out and back?

    IOW, I'm guessing you didn't loop this sum*****. Any more pics you got peering down into the canyon would be appreciated I've been in that general area looking for pictographs (or is that petroglyphs?) and I remember it taking forever to drive there on dusty dirt roads. Pretty cool when I got there but one needs to be psyched up for the drive there and back.

    When you're back in there you in the middle of nowhere.
    I think I posted all the pics. Too much fun to stop.

    There are petroglyphs on the dirt road from I-70. The Gooberment has spent a lot of money recently in this area signing everything. I'm not a big rock scraping fan, so I didn't take pics of them. People say they are the best example around. Too me it looks like some scraped stick figures. I'm more into geography and geology than archeology.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,871

    There can only be one...


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,892
    Quote Originally Posted by wooph
    first thing I thought of too, Phatpants.
    hmmmmmm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •