Stupid and Dangerous

[spam] - Marzocchi Z150 FR

Without getting into my sad story to much I just recently purchased a used 2004 Mazocchi Z150 FR. I finally received it today (01/25) only to find out itís not the fork the guy told me it was.

I could probably make the guy take it back but that would require shipping and a lot of communication with someone who I donít trust already. If any one local is interested in the fork Iíd be happy to deliver it any where in the Denver metro area for the price I paid for it (plus a free 6-pack of beer).

The specs for the fork is as follows:
    2004 Marzocchi Z150
    9.25'' of steer tube
    20mm axel included
    stanchion tubes are perfect
    steel steer tube (the steel steerer is more durable but I need the reduced weight of the alloy steer tube)

Selling for $355 or willing to trade for a Z150 FR with alloy steer tube

If you're interested email me at ssrwheels@earthlink.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    heh. i just paid 360 shipped for my used one. in great shape, but i was expecting the alloy steerer as well, based on what the seller told me.

must be a conspiracy.

oh well. not that huge a weight difference, in the grand scheme of things.

you could always just ship it to 'zocchi and have them press in a new one. i had that done to my 04 z-1 last year. i think it ran about $65 with all the shipping costs.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Stupid and Dangerous
    Yeah, pressing a new one is an option. I called Zocchi and they quoted me $65 for the switch plus I assume it'll cost me about $10 shipping each way ($85 total).

I'm just pissed as this guy took a long time to ship out the fork, then when I FINALLY got it it's the wrong one...

Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Yeah, pressing a new one is an option. I called Zocchi and they quoted me $65 for the switch plus I assume it'll cost me about $10 shipping each way ($85 total).

I'm just pissed as this guy took a long time to ship out the fork, then when I FINALLY got it it's the wrong one...

is it only the steer tube, or did he pass it off as an SL model, not the regular version?

if i hadn't already bought mine, i'd take this one off your hands.

one thing to lighten up a bit: i removed BOTH coils in mine, and am running full air; air in both legs, no coils. i guess some forks came with both topcaps with air preload, and some didn't. saved nearly half a pound. granted, i'm only about 160 pounds all geared up. works for me. i'm gambling on never blowing seals and losing pressure in both legs at the same time.......sticking with coil in the rear, though.

Perpetually single track
    Must be nice to be so light. I'm pretty sure you're voiding your warranty running it with no coils.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Must be nice to be so light. I'm pretty sure you're voiding your warranty running it with no coils.

uuuuuused fork anyhow. ain't got nuh wurrenty.

meh. still gives me all the eta and rebound adjustment, so whatever. i can't imagine hurting it other than catastrophic failure/bottoming, and if i do something like that, i'm in trouble already. like i say, pretty unlikely i'd lose both air sides at once. i'll stick with the coil on the rear though. i can ride out with one side of an air fork. not an option on an air shock though.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    is it only the steer tube, or did he pass it off as an SL model, not the regular version?
    He didin't try to pass it off as the SL but it stated in his add Alloy FR Steer Tube. Unfortunately the weight on the bike I'm building keeps going up and I'm getting kind of nervous as I was planning on peddling it. The alloy steer tube would help to reduce some of my bulk without costing a ton (unless I need to spend $85 to get a new steerer pressed).

I guess I'm just a little depressed as I've been waiting a while to get this bike running and when I get my wheelset today the fork will be the only thing holding me back from ridding it. I was so stoked to see the fork arrive yesterday only to have it be the wrong one. Now I need to a) find a new fork (that means I can't rid the bike as I dont have a spare 20mm fork) b) cut the steer tube on this one and keep it although it's a little heavier than I was hopeing

As for ridding w/o the springs... I think for the ridding I plan on doing the springs will keep the ride a little more "plush".

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    He didin't try to pass it off as the SL but it stated in his add Alloy FR Steer Tube. Unfortunately the weight on the bike I'm building keeps going up and I'm getting kind of nervous as I was planning on peddling it. The alloy steer tube would help to reduce some of my bulk without costing a ton (unless I need to spend $85 to get a new steerer pressed).

I guess I'm just a little depressed as I've been waiting a while to get this bike running and when I get my wheelset today the fork will be the only thing holding me back from ridding it. I was so stoked to see the fork arrive yesterday only to have it be the wrong one. Now I need to a) find a new fork (that means I can't rid the bike as I dont have a spare 20mm fork) b) cut the steer tube on this one and keep it although it's a little heavier than I was hopeing

As for ridding w/o the springs... I think for the ridding I plan on doing the springs will keep the ride a little more "plush".
    Kinda' splitting hairs and not worth the money to change it in my opinion. Look at it this way, the steel steerer is stronger and for the alloy steerer to be as strong it's going to be just as heavy since they can't change the diameter of the steerer tube. This is also the reason that Marz puts steel steerers on the OEM FR forks but not the aftermarket forks since folks who buy aftermarket expects an aluminum steerer and since they're changing out the fork, it releases the frame Mfr. from fork liability. In my experience, Marz's published weights are pretty far off from "actual" weights anyway. You're what, at least 190-200 right and you're putting this on a Scream or a Chap right? Put the fork on the bike, feel the love, and avoid your dental surgeon.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Kinda' splitting hairs and not worth the money to change it in my opinion.
    I can tell Don is a no BS kind of guy. I agree changing the steer tube at this point doesn't make much sense.

Look at it this way, the steel steerer is stronger and for the alloy steerer to be as strong it's going to be just as heavy since they can't change the diameter of the steerer tube. This is also the reason that Marz puts steel steerers on the OEM FR forks but not the aftermarket forks since folks who buy aftermarket expects an aluminum steerer and since they're changing out the fork, it releases the frame Mfr. from fork liability. In my experience, Marz's published weights are pretty far off from "actual" weights anyway.
    True but I did have some actual weights in my spreadsheet. On the bright side I loose a lot more weight cutting off steel steerer than I would if it was alloy.

You're what, at least 190-200 right...
    Come on Dave cut me some slack 185lbs it says so on my drivers license

...and you're putting this on a Scream or a Chap right?
    It's a Chaparral and I got it because it's the "light-weight" version of the Scream the Banshee website even states it can be built up under 30 lbs

Put the fork on the bike, feel the love, and avoid your dental surgeon.
    I'd feel the love a lot more if my bike weighed 35lbs instead of 37... come on dad let me whine a little
    Last edited by mango; 01-26-2005 at 10:47 AM.

user-created
    I'd feel the love a lot more if my bike weighed 35lbs instead of 37... come on dad let me whine a little
    My Chap weighs in at 45, has no problem crushing big climbs....

Suck it up.

i'd just ride it as is. the bike mine went on weighs about 38.5#. an alloy steer tube wouldn't really have changed the outcome of that very much!

locked - time out

It's a Chaparral and I got it because it's the "light-weight" version of the Scream the Banshee website even states it can be built up under 30 lbs

Maybe so - but that's kinda like stripping down an H2 (the H2 being the "Hummer Lite") so that you can save on gas mileage.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    My Chap weighs in at 45, has no problem crushing big climbs....

Suck it up.

LOL... damn I'll have to remember to bring my skirt next time I ride with you

Did he say "45lbs" and "crushing" in the same statement...

Now Uploading
    I can relate to the weight, I dumped about two pounds off the front of my Chase when I swapped the steel steerer and steel stanchion Dirt Jumper III fork for a Z1 Freeride coil 20mm. This new Z1 has an alloy steerer and I would have actually perfered a steel steerer on this bike, but it's fine. The DJ 3 was so heavy because of the steel stanchions, and yeah, I don't think the steerer tube makes that much difference on the overall bike weight once you are over 30 lbs., as long as the bike is balanced and doesn't feel like you have a cinder block tied to the bars.

Just ride on it, still a nice fork.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Stand back

weighty issues

A friend of mine has the same fork, says it's a little heavier than his Jr. T was. You'd probably drop more weight by going to the '05 Z1, as it has alum. stanchions as well, but some people on this site have gone on and on about how it's better with steel instead of aluminum in those places...
    I wish I had the money to take it off your hands, I'd love to do some direct comparisons b/t it and the breakout plus I got for the big bike.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!