mtbr member
    Sep 2013

~500 dollar 6' 6" 32" inseam 290 lb commuter/hybrid bike?

Looking for something big enough for me.

6'6"
    290 lb.
    32" inseam (pretty long torso)
    About a 500 dollar budget

Any advice for me. I kind of liked the specialized sirrus.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    At your height/weight you might consider a mountain bike with some slick tires. The wheels will be significantly stronger and less likely to get knocked out of true.

The Sirrus is a nice bike, but the combination of narrow tires, lighter rims and rigid fork might result in bending wheels. You could also consider the Specialized Crosstrail, which is a hybrid mountain bike.

mtbr member

~500 dollar 6' 6" 32" inseam 290 lb commuter/hybrid bike?

I have to concur . At your weight go sturdy. A hard tail mtb
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 is 419 delivered with decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components. But your weight is outside the coil spring fork's design perimeters.
    An air fork can be set to the right sag. The Suntour fork it comes with can be upgraded to a Raidon air fork for about 200 shipped through a program Nick at Suntour has put together.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 is 419 delivered with decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components. But your weight is outside the coil spring fork's design perimeters.
    An air fork can be set to the right sag. The Suntour fork it comes with can be upgraded to a Raidon air fork for about 200 shipped through a program Nick at Suntour has put together.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Excellent point. I forgot about the fork spring. Any off the shelf suspension fork will probably need a heavier spring to function at all.

If you can find a bike shop that's willing to work with you, a 29er mountain bike with slick tires and a rigid fork would be a great idea. Most shops will swap out items at the time of purchase. At your height/weight there aren't very many off-the-shelf bikes that will be ideal without modifications.

mtbr member
    You have a very long torso, as I do also.. The problem with this is you will feel cramped in most bikes that give you proper stand over height. I found that many 29ers have a longer cockpit which was more comfortable for me.. I'm guessing you will need a size large 29er and even then you may need to purchase a longer stem.. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And a setback seatpost.
    You should ride some different size bikes locally to get a feel for what is a close fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Have a look at Trek bikes. When they absorbed the Gary Fisher brand his Genesis geometry carried on. That is a longer top tube in relation to the height of the frame.