mtbr member
    Jul 2009

your thoughts on this situation

Hello all!,

I am 6'6" 210

been shopping aroung for a new hardtail that will suit my situation best and any input is GREATLY appreciated and frankly, needed at this point.

My goal is to ride trails as often as I can but ultimately the bike will be used for commuting.

After lots of looking around i thought i'd go with the 2010 rockhopper comp disc 29er. but my budget my have just been lowered.

after more shopping around I came across the 2009 GT avalanche 1 and 2.0 both with the disc brakes and the 2010 hardrock sport 29er and 2010 p.1 am.

I cant find any good info on the GTs on this site.

Soooo im hoping somebody here can throw out some info on any of these models or any others in the 5-700 range that you feel would benefit me.

and another note, i have a long inseam so the bikes all pretty much have to be 23" or bigger for that reason and my bad knees require perfect fitting.

Please please throw me some suggestions. im stuck on what to do...i would test ride but the lbs's dont stock bikes this big usually

thank you

mtbr member
    I'm 6'6" 230# and am riding a 2009 24" Trek 4500. MSRP is 689.99 but you can get them for less than that pretty easily. I have put about 500 miles on it since February and have nothing but positive things to say.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am 6'4" aand used to ride a GT Avalanche size XL. It always felt a bit short to mee, so if you have a long inseam I would look for someting else. Currently ride a Commondale F4 Caffeine size XL. Switched to a longer headshok stem and a Thomson Setback seatpost. Sweet ride that feels right for my size. Look for bikes with long(ish) toptubes, such as Cannondale F series, Specialized Stumpjumper...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    I'm 6'6" 230# and am riding a 2009 24" Trek 4500. MSRP is 689.99 but you can get them for less than that pretty easily. I have put about 500 miles on it since February and have nothing but positive things to say.
    I was originally looking at this model but was turned off by the lack of disc brakes and was curious on how fast and smooth the shifting was. I know the shifiting on my hybrid sucked when I needed to switch quickly as the terrain changed from climbs to descends. Lost my chain a few times.

Its disappointing that Trek does not offer this size in its other mtb.

Making fat cool since '71
    I'm 6' 3", all torso, short legs and have an '09 Avalanche frame I use for my SS (using eccentric hub), anyway...the seat tube is plenty long, and I run a 90mm stem; fwiw...it's not a "big" bike. If you are more legs...it's probably not going to work. My XL is about 22". Could be worth the time to have the shop "fit" you though and see if the angles work out on your legs/knees. Longer cranks could be a solution, but if the frame aint right...it'll never be right.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369
    I was originally looking at this model but was turned off by the lack of disc brakes and was curious on how fast and smooth the shifting was. I know the shifiting on my hybrid sucked when I needed to switch quickly as the terrain changed from climbs to descends. Lost my chain a few times.

Its disappointing that Trek does not offer this size in its other mtb.
    Shifting is very smooth. No problems as of yet. My wife has an older (2004) 4300 and the shifting is really bad. Nothing wrong with the mechanisms themselves just not nearly as smooth as mine.

I couldnt agree more to wonder as to why this size frame is not offered in other models.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    appreciate the responses

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    yea i have a 07 trek 4300 mine is a 21" but that was 2 years ago anyway i do remember the store selling one in a 24" but i would really really suggest disc brake after having it for a while i hate water/mud crossings. i am 6'3" 190 and it still works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How come everyone responded to this thread, but only one person responded to my thread that is a few down?

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369
    How come everyone responded to this thread, but only one person responded to my thread that is a few down?
    Because my post was so awesome, it scared everyone else away