mtbr member
    Jul 2007

A Yeti for a Clyde

I'm currently riding a Stumpjumper and I'm looking to make the switch to a Yeti. I'm looking for input as to what model would be the best and what Yet's other Clyde's are riding.

Climbs = necessary evil

Re: Yeti for a Clyde

All depends on what kind of riding you are planning one doing and what bike fits your frame. I was looking at mainly XC with an AM crossover, but I wanted something that would climb well.

I looked at the 575 (and several others - see thread on Want Input for 5 bikes for a Clyde - or something like that), but wasn't as happy with the fit as I was in the end with a Santa Cruz XL frame Nomad. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam (pants not bike measurement). I'm even looking at getting a longer stem with a lower angle. The Yeti felt short in the top tube. Looking at the construction of the two, I was afraid the Yeti wouldn't hold up as well and the Nomad is a good climber.

Look at the other thread and see if any of the advice I got is applicable to your question too.

Good luck,

Roger

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have found that Yeti's sizing runs a little larger than most brands. I am 6'1", also a 32"inseam on the pants. I am usually between 205 and 225lbs. I can ride Large and Medium yetis. My hardtail is a large, but my asr and asx are both medium. I think the split in the sizes even tighter for the 575,(a more popular bike). They make more sizes in that model.

I have been really happy with the stiffness on all my yetis, but I have test ridden a 575 and found it squirly, A lot of clydesdale riders do like them though.

What kind of bike and riding are you planning on?
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

local trails rider
    Ya...
    What do you want to do on the bike?
    Can you specify your size a bit?

I have an AS-X and it is overkill unless you go for high speeds in rough terrain and drops 'n jumps.

Tribe of one
    After cracking the frame on my old hardtail stumpjumper I made the switch to a Yeti 575 w/carbon rear. Over the past year I have ridden it hard and as clyde have had no significant problems.

The only small glitch that I have notice is with the RP3. For my weight 215# maintaining the correct air pressure in the RP3 is crucial and needs to be adjusted weekly. Also related to weight is that the rebound is at its max and I could use just a tad bit more. I think some of these issues have been sorted out with the RP23.

The only other change was getting use to riding in a more upright position. As said before the sizing to the bike is important. I suggest test riding if possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I test rode the ASR today, and I liked it okay. My angle was more in an upright, less aggresive position and I'm not really used to it. There isn't anything wrong with my Stumpy, so I'm just considering whether or not a $5400 "upgrade" is really what I want to do....who knows!

local trails rider
    If you are going to spend that kind of money on a bike, I think you should be pretty sure that bike is what you want. If you have a bike that is OK, there is no rush to get the next one. Take your time looking at your options. Do you want something similar to your old bike or something different ... or, what things would you like to be different from your current ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 5'9", 246 and raced "back in the day". Currently we ride about 30 miles per week on some local trails...a lot of technical singletrack with small to moderate climbs. Our race season will be kicking off in the fall and I plan to race the over 35 Clydes catagory. I'm not near as aggressive as I used to be, but I still love to bomb the downhill sections.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper_steve
    I'm 5'9", 246 and raced "back in the day". Currently we ride about 30 miles per week on some local trails...a lot of technical singletrack with small to moderate climbs. Our race season will be kicking off in the fall and I plan to race the over 35 Clydes catagory. I'm not near as aggressive as I used to be, but I still love to bomb the downhill sections.
    I've quizzed the shop guys at two of the top Yeti dealers in the US and they both recommended the 575 for me (one of them over a Stumpy S-Works and an Intense 5.5 EVP). Sounds like we have similar riding styles. I'm 6'3, 255.

It was more of an academic exercise for me given my current budget, but the indirect feedback maybe helpful for you.

"You want to do WHAT???!!

Another Idea

I am 5'10" @260 and was trying to decide whether to do with the Yeti 575 or the Titus Motolite. Rode both and it was still a toss up. Then I got in touch with Biker Bob, who took a Motolite kit and made a bunch of changes based on my weight, size, riding style etc. Got the bike last week and while I am still tweaking the suspension....it rides great and I am really pleased with it.