Thread: Yeti 575

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yeti 575

I was just wondering if any fellow clydes have had experience with the Yeti 575. My concern is the carbon/aluminum swingarm. I weigh in at 250, and the thought of carbon scares me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I talked to Yeti about this about 4 months ago. They said the "Advisable Weight Limit" on 575 was 235 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I own a Yeti 575. I weigh 205 pounds without gear. The bike is a good (not great) bike. However, I could not recommend it to you based on your weight. In fact, at my weight, I experience too much flex in the frame and rear triangle, which I find unacceptable.

ronbo613
    I was considering a 575, but I still am not convinced that carbon is a good idea for bigger riders.
    I went with a Giant TranceX2 and am stoked with it.
    I am about 6'2", 195 lbs.

Singletrack groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    I own a Yeti 575. I weigh 205 pounds without gear. The bike is a good (not great) bike. However, I could not recommend it to you based on your weight. In fact, at my weight, I experience too much flex in the frame and rear triangle, which I find unacceptable.
    3sigma, what year is your Yeti? I've got a 2008 and have built it to reduce if not eliminate any noticeable flex...

Plus size jersey model
    I have a 2008 575 with the carbon rear and have had zero problems. I weigh in at a nice 260-270 and beat the living hell out of it. I ride here in rocky Tucson so I figured I would break it within 3 months but I have had it for year now its its still going strong. Get it you will love it. This is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

Not me here but this is one of the hardest trails in AZ and I regularly take it down it.

Singletrack groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    I have a 2008 575 with the carbon rear and have had zero problems. I weigh in at a nice 260-270 and beat the living hell out of it. I ride here in rocky Tucson so I figured I would break it within 3 months but I have had it for year now its its still going strong. Get it you will love it. This is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

Not me here but this is one of the hardest trails in AZ and I regularly take it down it.
    Sikwoodbiker, beautiful 575! Have you done any mods for being a bigger dude? PUSH perhaps?

Plus size jersey model
    I have thought about sending to PUSH but have not had any real problems to justify it.

In the rear with the beer
    I bought a 2008 575 about 15 months ago. My weight has floated in that time between 230 and 200. I love it. I don't worry at all about the carbon. I just rode it this weekend to do the 104 mile Flagstaff (AZ) Barnburner....and regularly take it out on the brutal rocky stuff here in Phoenix with no worries. Before picking a bike I talked to by LBS owner about my riding (everything from long endurance to moderate tech stuff) and the fact that I'm a clyde, he said I couldn't go wrong with the 575 as a great all around bike that could handle the weight.

I love that bike!!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Did a search a while back about rear triangle breakage on the 575.

It seems they had issues in the past right in front of the dropout on the non-drive (brake) side (I found several photos of breakage in the same spot), but the new rear triangle looks to be redesigned.

That being said, if the manufacturer is forthright enough to attach a weight limit advisory (although I could not find it in the owner's manual or on their website), it seems logical to take it seriously. Ignore the advice of the manufacturer at the risk of your own peril.

Snapper

big bloke

I am 6.5 and 250lbs and l owned a 07 575. I was too heavy for it and felt flex but had no problems. Wanted a frame that could handle a 160mm fork. The 07 was not that bike. My friend has an 08 which is both stiffer and longer than the 07s and can handle 160 fork.
    Sold the 07 for an 08 5 Spot which is much better. Really wish l had sprung for the RFX for my size and wieght. Never really got on well with the 575 ride quality (just me).
    JD