mtbr member
    Jul 2007

XTR Cassette: Sell it or "Milk" it?

I have a XTR Cassette that was just replaced by Shimano under warranty. However I purchased a Sram 970 for replacement while Shimano Investigated the old one. I really feel that the XTR shifted nicer. However I am 345 pounds and bent the first det of XTR. But I was 425 before. Should I sell the new XTR? Or if Shimano is going to replace them everytime I bend them under warranty, then I'm thinking of just using the XTR and keeping the 970 as a backup for and if the XTR need to go back. Afterall.....I am lighter now.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    get an xt because the larger rings are still steel and not ti like and the xtr cass. i have also bent an xtr cass and i weighted in at 250 lbs t the time

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bet on shimano replacing it every time - this is the first time I've ever heard of shimano honoring a warranty (everyone I know that's ever broken anything, or received a defective part, it was their fault...).

the XTR cassette's only advantage over XT is weight, at 345# I hope you aren't counting grams on your bike. I'd sell the XTR while it's still worth something, you could probably buy 2 XT or 970s for the proceeds.