Slave to the grind

XT hydros for a 230 pound clyde?

hey guys, im thinking of getting some 2nd hand xt hydros with 6inch xtr rotors for a good price.

im currently running avid bb7s on my heck with the 6 inch rotors and they seem to stop me fine although i have to haul on them really hard for the more dh-ish stuff.

yeah i know i can get bigger rotors but im trying to save on the rotational weight a bit if i can.

will the xt hydro's give me better stopping power? i plan on doing some downhill once in a while and im wondering if the xt's are a step in the wrong direction.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A 203mm rotor is only 90 grams heavier than a 160mm rotor, yet offers 30% more power.

If your trying to save weight you want to save it on tubes and tires.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    hydros may have more power... and will more then likely have more modulation... and should be lighter weight...

that being said... it's a lot cheaper to goto bigger rotors... also remember that rotors are right in the center of the rotational mass... it's not going to have much of a difference... just like going with hubs that weigh a ton... the important part for weight is the rim, tire, and tube
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    XT's have fine power and modulation now (pre-2006 I wouldn't have said that). The "power" isn't anymore than BB7's, but they do have better modulation.

It never makes any sense to me that someone over 2 bills would be concerned about saving 2.5-4 ounces of weight to sacrifice a *significant* amount of performance or reliability especially when you are talking about using the product in a DH application. If you are that concerned about weight get the Hope "floating" rotors in a 203. You'll save a few grams...and spend a ton, but they are sexy as hell. As previously stated: the further away from the center of the mass in rotation...the more it will have an effect on the amount of energy it takes to maintain that mass's rotation.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

29 some of the time...
    The brakes are fine. As mentioned 6in rotors may not be the best choice. I ran 6in rotors for years. It was either 6in or 8in and most bike wouldn't accept the bigger rotors back then. When avid came out with 7in rotors I thought it would be good to give them a try. I will never go back to the little rotors. Big rotors distribute heat better, have more power, and more modulation.

If you are in a pinch, run what you get. But I would recommend trying bigger rotors. The weight penalty is marginal. Heck, I think the new 185mm avid g3 rotor is lighter than the old version 6in rotors.

BTW, how good is the deal? I got my complete set of juicy fives with 185mm rotors and all hardware for just over $150. They were new in box. Unless you are getting a sub $100 hookup I would recommend looking around for something new. If you end up having to replace hydro lines to make them fit your bike any cost savings will get sucked up.

**edit**
    Brakes are one of those items that is best purchased new. Yes, you can adopt a system an stock pile parts (I have a bunch of shimano extras now). But unless a used setup is exactly what you need it will most likely end up nickle and dime'n you to the point that it is not a good deal.
    Last edited by AL29er; 03-23-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 225 lbs and have been running XT hydros on my DH bike and my trail bike for the past 3 years. I had BB7s many years ago ... no way would I ever trade my XTs for them. More power, better modulation, better ergonomics. And you really should try 8 inch rotors - been running those for about 8 years and wouldn't go back to 6 (more power and better fade resistance).

just along for the ride
    Go hydro it works even with a 160mm rotor but at our size you will save $ on pads with a larger rotor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dh1
    mtbr member
    If you go with the hydros, PM me with a price for your BB7s.