mtbr member
    Jun 2009

XC vs' DH parts, which better for clyde

As it says, XC vs' DH parts. Which are going to hold up better for 285lb fairly aggressive clyde's? From what I've been reading I believe the DH parts but wanted to make sure that was true.

Thanks,

Chris
    Redling D440, soon to be SS w/SM8's, and not much redline left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sounds like you need a DH bike maybe or a freeride

you can replace parts but it's always the weak link that lets go

putting DH parts on a XC does not make the whole bike tough enough

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'll just be upgrade parts here and there and want to make sure I put the best/strongest parts possible on the bike. Eventually, either I'll loose some weight or break the frame. Then I'll have some good parts off the redline to put on a titanium frame. I just read somewhere in the clyde section where a guy was recommending a DH crane b/c it was stronger than the XC cranks.

slow uphill
    I just put Saint components on my bike instead of XT. Pretty comparable in weight and cost - the only part on the Saint group thats noticeably heavier are the calipers, because they are 4 piston.

I've only got about 30 miles on them and so far so good. I can't provide my own opinion on whether or not they are stronger but the consensus seems to be that they are stronger and more durable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If your looking at doing XC get yourself an all mountain type bike rather than a lightweight xc bike. It'll get you stronger forks and wheels, bigger brakes and generally a slightly beefier frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Chris...I've got a D440 too. I'm wanting to convert mine to a 2x8, so I've been looking at some DH cranks also. Look at a Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2 DH crankset, with the Howitzer BB, or the Race Face Evolve DH crankset. There's no way they're not a helluva lot stronger, but are they worth the weight (they both weigh >1250gms)? How'd it be to crank pigs like those?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I personally set my bike up more of as a "trail" bike then anything else which is more or less a bike setup to ride anywhere... a DH bike is a poor choice around here IMHO.... I find our trails like a quick handling bike... because of the ups and downs less weight is good... but not killing parts is obviously more important... which is where the d440 really shines... strong parts for an inexpensive price

with what you've got going on with the d440 at the moment... after the upgrades you listed on porc... i'd start with finding a saddle that fits you properly... I doubt the shadow is optimal to your sitbone... after that make sure your fit is a bit more dialed in... proper seat height and position (fore/aft) then your bars are proper height and reach... if you want to add some more bling (and drop a good chunk of weight while keeping the strength) pick up a thompson seatpost

next upgrade would depend on priority...

the wheels on the redline aren't that amazing... you could gain some strength while loosing weight by going with a nice wheelset...

the fork... a new fork would be nice... gota decide if you are going to stay rigid or go sprung...

last big thing is the crankset... you can loose a good bit of weight while staying strong... an XT or SLX crankset would be a good way to go IMHO... maybe talk to mark about the surly crankset he's got "laying around"... if you don't care about the weight hit me up i've got a SS hussefelt i'd give ya... needs a new BB cup... but it's amazingly strong... and the bb design is pretty neat
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm going for a good fitment next on the list. I'm going to try a shorter stem to get the bike to respond quicker and to shorten my reach. With a clipless shoes, a shorter stem, and adjusting the seat location should make a world of difference. Oh and so will the 100mm Reba that I'm hoping to have Mark put on it this week.

I'll probably do a seatpost & seat next since those pieces aren't very expensive. Then a SS crank. I figure around the first of the year a highend set of wheels. I may finish it off with a custom paint job early next year and be done with the bike.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sweet ...

instead of the stem you may consider by narrowing the bars a smidge... or trying some that a bit narrower... will give a similar effect in quickening steering... also... if you are concerned with quickening steering DON'T go with the reba at 100mm unless it's a fisher g2 fork...

have you considered riding the bike like you've got it (outside of proper fit) and saving up for one of his new giant 29ers?... those things look SWEET ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I considered leaving the bike alone. The hot rodder in me can't leave anything alone. I'll pick up a Giant sooner or later.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    lol... with your list of stuff I have to ask... when you planning to replace the frame? ;-)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'll probably have three clyde worthy 29ers before I'm all said and done. Eventually I've got to stop spending money on bikes and pay off my car or buy a house.

#1 - SS hardtail w/36 spoke wheels w/13g spokes, completely overbuilt for stupidity (The Redline)
    #2 - Geared hardtail for endurance XC stuff (The Giant)
    #3 - FS all-mountain or downhill bike

Oh and somewhere along the way a 24" cruiser class bmx bike, a road bike, and a fixie. In short, no I don't plan on having kids or a wife anytime soon.