Thread: XC Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

XC Bikes

Are any Clydes riding the Trek Superfly Full Suspension?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I looked at that bike, ended up with a Cannondale scalpel instead. If you can't get any responses here try the trek forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 2011 Trek Hi-Fi Deluxe. Same basic bike as the SuperFly 100's but one year before they changed the name. SuperFly's in 2011 were hard tails and the Hi-Fi's were Full Suspension. Bike has been awesome minus the stock wheel set. That sucked as many do for the big guys. I'm 6'8" 300+ and have the 23" frame. I love the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yep. I have a 2013 Superfly 100 AL Pro.

I love it but I'm selling it now for something with more travel to suit the local terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yup, same bike as above. 5'10" and roughly 230lbs geared up. LOVE this bike for the terrain I normally ride. Would like to get a bike with more travel towards the end of this season but am having A LOT of fun riding FAST with this current one.

Every time I'm out at my home track I'm trying to beat a PR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just sold mine yesterday. Only one ride on my new bike but at least for these trails it's a lot more appropriate. Sf100 wasn't quite cutting it.

Freelance Whatever
    Rondre3000, at 5'10", did you end up going with a 17.5, 18.5 or 19? My LBS has a 19 marked down that, from what the measurements show, would match up pretty well for me. I'm 5'10" with about a 31" inseam. Some of the reviews I've read say that the cockpit is a bit "tight" which would lead me to believe that, combined with the G2 geo, the 19 might be a perfect fit.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdownca View Post
    Rondre3000, at 5'10", did you end up going with a 17.5, 18.5 or 19? My LBS has a 19 marked down that, from what the measurements show, would match up pretty well for me. I'm 5'10" with about a 31" inseam. Some of the reviews I've read say that the cockpit is a bit "tight" which would lead me to believe that, combined with the G2 geo, the 19 might be a perfect fit.
    We have pretty much identical measurements there. I went with the 19" and was worried at first. The bike felt like I was sitting on a horse...HUGE. And I felt stretched out. But then the only other MTB I've owned was an 18.5" Virtual/17.5" actual 09 Fuel 26er and that fit was obviously more upright. With the 17.5" SF, my knees were close to the handle bars.

After 250 miles and swapping the stem from the 115mm to an 80mm, I can say the 19" fits VERY well for its intended usage.

Freelance Whatever
    Thanks Rondre..I got a quick test ride on the SF last weekend and it fit me sooo much better than the Epic that I rode the week before. It's spec'd out nicely, and while I probably needed a bit (a lot) more air in the shock, I was really impressed. It definitely felt like the right one. Will be going back for a second ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No worries man. Glad its a good fit.

I did a short 13mile loop back at my old stomping grounds this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the SF's ability to ride some mild downhill tracks. I thought this bike would surely be out of sorts on a particular section I used to LOVE on my old Fuel, but the SF took it like a champ!

Freelance Whatever
    The Superfly definitely felt more "snappy" than the Epic. Not sure if that has to do with the Brain on the Epic being located at the rear, adding a slight weight bias toward that end of the bike while the SF had the more traditional shock location. No matter what I did with the shock settings on the Epic, it just seemed more tame to me. Granted, I'm around 250#, so there's bound to be a little delay...but the CTD on the SF just seemed to work better for me. Didn't really feel much of the flex in the wheelset that some reviewers complained about, but I didn't beat it either. The Jet 9 intrigues me, but there aren't any dealers around here that I could take one for a spin, and I doubt that they could match the components that you get on the SF for the price. Thinking for me, the search might be over.