meatheadboy
    Aug 2006

xc or am wheelset for a clyde?

Hey Guys!

Is there a good xc wheelset for a 260# clyde? Or should I just look for a decent AM wheelset? Budget will probably be around $500.

I'm not tough on equipment, i've got 1,300 mi on a set of Mavic Crosslands and the rear wheel is just a fuzz out of true, it's probably more the tire than the rim even.

Thanks!

Chexy
    (chunky sexy)!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    might want to look into some DH/FR wheels at that weight. I am in the 200-210# range and I dont trust myself on XC wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So far my Easton Havocs are good to go, and I'm about 255 right now. I ride XC stuff with some rocks/roots in there.

mtbr member
    Even if you can find XC wheels tough enough, I don't see a downside to wider rims. You get less pinch flats, and better tire profile, and it seems like more volume, with only a slight weight penalty (and a clyde weight, who cares about a couple grams?).

I'm pretty happy with my Havocs, and they are right in your budget (keep your eyes open, seems like Jenoson and Greenfish are constantly having sales on them, then selling out, then getting more). Even something like Azonic outlaws are pretty nice for the money; a little heavy, but again, who cares. They have nice, wide rims and you'll not have to worry about them.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhugo71
    Hey Guys!

Is there a good xc wheelset for a 260# clyde? Or should I just look for a decent AM wheelset? Budget will probably be around $500.

I'm not tough on equipment, i've got 1,300 mi on a set of Mavic Crosslands and the rear wheel is just a fuzz out of true, it's probably more the tire than the rim even.

Thanks!

Chexy
    (chunky sexy)!

Is wheel weight a concern, or just strength? 29er, 26er or other? Do you have a hub preference?

Truly,

Fahoxy
    (fat, hot, sexy)

meatheadboy
    Aug 2006
    26" wheels, wheel weight is of a little concern, you hear rotational mass makes the biggest difference but like was pointed out, losing 20 lbs of my arse would make a bigger difference. Hub wise I'd like to try out Hope hubs, i've always heard great things about them. If I were to look at the Easton's they come with all Easton Components don't they?

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    IMHO you need to look for a wheelset that has a wide deep profile and some good structural weight. A DT 5.1 rim is an excellent choice. 28mm wide for a good range of tire sizes, a nice strong profile and the weight is structural. I would then stay w/ 2.0 spokes if you plan on increasing your riding at all and brass nipples although heavy can really increase the build strength.

BWW has a great price on a set of wheels w/ dt 5.1 rims. You can choose what hubs you want from there list.

\
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhugo71
    26" wheels, wheel weight is of a little concern, you hear rotational mass makes the biggest difference but like was pointed out, losing 20 lbs of my arse would make a bigger difference. Hub wise I'd like to try out Hope hubs, i've always heard great things about them. If I were to look at the Easton's they come with all Easton Components don't they?
    The Havocs come with Easton hubs, rims, and skewers. The 2009 model Havocs come with DT spokes, and the 08s have Sapim spokes I think. I recently purchased mine from www.bikebling.com (I ordered 2008, but they sent 2009) delivered for about $445 with the coupon code "realdeal". This guy is also selling on ebay for $479 with free shipping.

If you were to build a set on speedgoat.com with DT 5.1s and Hope hubs, you'll be getting to $600 pretty quickly. For me, the Eastons are a no brainer for a handbuilt AM setup under $500.

29 some of the time...
    Jenson has the Havoc wheelset for $439

That is a good clyde wheelset. I have contemplated picking up a set, but have found other things to spend money on lately

Several places can set you up with a Hope/DT 5.1 wheelset for under $400. I think it is a nicer wheelset, but it will be a touch heavier.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.