Raider of the Lost Creek

(x-post) I crashed, ruined a rim, and now have questions.

Hello everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this and offering your feedback.

I have been riding my Giant Trance 1 for about 3 1/2 months now and had my first "serious" crash yesterday. It happened as I was riding through a dip section on a local trail here in South Carolina. The bottom of the dip looked to be smooth, just like the 10 or so I had already rolled through, but as I rode down into it, the front wheel slammed into a deep rut which was filled with and covered in pine needles (didn't realize this until I surveyed the accident scene), and tossed me off the bike. Just a few cuts and scratches on my end, but when I picked up the bike, I saw that the front rim was severely mangled. I figured it was probably beyond repair, but just to be safe, and not create additional damage I pushed the bike out.

I took the bike to my LBS today and they said the rim was "Taco'd" and that it would need to be replaced. In most cases, this would be no big deal. HOWEVER...

I happen to be in the Clydesdale category as I weigh about 260 lbs. I ride mostly singletrack trails like those found at Harbison State Forest, FATS, Lynch’s Woods, etc…

So, here is my dilemma. The stock rims on this bike are WTB Speed disc, which apparently is their entry level wheelset. Because of my size, I was told that I may need to consider upgrading to DH or FR rims/wheels anyway. But this is where I run into a problem.

I was hoping, I could just buy a two new WTB Laserdisc (their better set) DH or FR rims, and lace them to my current hubs DT Swiss (probably run 150ish?). However, after further investigation, it appears my current rims/hubs are 28 spokes. The DH and FR rims are 32 or 36. Okay, so I guess that is not an option, perhaps I'll just get the full wheelset. Problem again, it seems that any of the DH/FR wheelsets in my price range... Say either the Laserdisc FR or the Mavic Deetrax for example, are a through axle wheel. The Trance with a Reba Race fork needs a Quick Release size/style wheelset.

SO, my question is this. Is the only way for me to get a beefy, strong, DH/FR wheelset to buy a bigger fork with through axle?? Is there an adapter or way to convert these types of wheels to a QR style? I was hoping I didn't need to spend 6-700 dollars on a wheelset right now. I suppose I can just replace it with a Laserdisc XC rim and bypass the whole DH/FR wheel idea, but I wanted to explore all my options and be sure I don't run into a similar problem again with a light weight rim unable to support my size.

Sorry for the long post and if this has already been covered, but it helps to write it out as I think about it. Plus, being new to the sport and still trying to learn about bikes and components, I wasn't prepared to face this problem so soon. Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer help, suggestions, or advice.

Switch

Thanks again for the help everyone.
    "Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it."

Fat guy on a bike
    Good options are:

Azonic Outlaws come with 36 spokes and are both quick release and through axle compatible(with easy included conversion). Clyde approved by most riders.

An XT or other decent hub with tough (14gauge or so) spokes combined with Sun Rynolites or Mavic X717 rims. I and other clydes have good luck with these also and they are usually similarly priced or cheaper.

I bought mine from Wheelworld and they are holding up great.

Of course there are other choices but these should fit the bill.

@adelorenzo
    I'm very similar weight and would not be riding 28-spoke wheels if I were you. Better to re-build a new set. At least 32 in the front and definitely 36 in the rear.

Rhyno Lites are your friend: Cheap as chips and strong like bull.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    Good options are:

Azonic Outlaws come with 36 spokes and are both quick release and through axle compatible(with easy included conversion). Clyde approved by most riders.

bill.

get the outlaws you won't be soory....many clyde riders ride them for DH
    they run about 240 for front and back rim and they have adapters for quick release
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

long standing member
    Your rear wheel still works, right? Why not just replace the front now, if that's all you need right at this moment. An Azonic Outlaw front would work for you, or for a bit more money get a Hope Pro II hub (which is convertable from QR to TA) laced up with some cheap, strong rims (Sun Singletracks or Rhynolite XLs, Mavic 321s, etc.). In the future when you've when the rear needs replacing (or you've got the money) get a decent rear hub laced to the same rim type.

I know there are staunch supporters of Azonic Outlaws but for every clyde who recommeded them another said they had issues, particularly with the freehub. No personal experience with this on my part, just what I've heard through my "online research".

mtbr member
    I just built up a set using Sun Single Track rims and Hope Pro II hubs. Im using the QR on the front, but everything for the build cost me $391 from Universal Cycles.

Much stiffer than the Black Eye rims that came on my bike.

Im 6'3, currently 285#

EDIT: that price also included $50 for a set of Salsa skewers.

mtbr member
    I am 320 and 6' 4" and have been riding the Azonic Outlaws for nearly a year...I just had the rear trued up but considering my size and the Outlaws price...... what do you want?...

They also came with all the quick release adapters although I do not use them
    Gravity is a big man's friend

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Same here I am 240lb and I got a set of outlaws 36h for 270 shipped i think you cant go worng with them and if you ever upgrade the fork like I did from my old recon to a Pike 454 now I can runthe thru axle which adds that extra bit of stiffness..