mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Is X Caliber ok for 300# ?

What are your thoughts on this for a 300# rider? Also thinking about the Ferrous but this is a little less money. http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/x-caliber I'm more in question of the frame, I can swap cranks.
    Last edited by DaleO; 03-09-2008 at 07:28 PM.

The Duuude, man...
    I'm a big Fisher Fan.

I also think that wheels are a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

However....at 300 pounds...I worry a little for you. And it ain't about the cranks.

That's a lightweight Alum HT frame....you might crack it (you'd crack it nearly for sure if you get a 2007 or older model). The '08's are all new and improved, but sketchy for someone of your impressive girth.

Then the wheels would be of concern...you're talking about a 28-spoke-count wheelset. Not meant to be ultra beefy.

I'm very happy you're considering a 29er, but I fear for your weight being at issue on this bike.

What's your budget? The Ferrous might be the better option, frame-wise, but the wheels are still at issue.

If I was you...you could give serious consideration to the following plan:
    *Buy a used/fully built Surly Karate Monkey (KM) - burly, you won't break it
    or
    *Buy a new KM frame AND a Fisher Ferrous - sell the stock/new wheels, use cash to buy a set of burly wheels (say XT hubs, 36 hole, A719 or DT rims). Move all parts to the KM....save the Ferrous frame for a bonus-upgrade when you lose enough weight (say under 250 or so).

There's a lot of ways to skin a cat, but that's how I'd do it.
    FS: Everything