mtbr member

WTB Clyde Friendly...

...29er wheel set with 32 spoke count preferably. I'll have them custom built if needed but would prefer to buy a set assembled. What works for you.....

mtbr member
    I think what works for us is entirely dependant on our riding style and body dimensions. Maybe you should post up some more information. This will help us provide more relevant information for you.

I initially started riding and weighed 365. I bought some MTX 33 29er rims laced to hope and xt hubs from Mikesee for around $550. These are bomb proof wheels but are really heavy. I am now 280, and falling and looking to get something much lighter for next season. Ebay has some killer deals on Easton Havens which appear to be stout enough for my current size.

Really the question is, how much of a clyde are you?

mtbr member
    6'2" 280ish with goal of 220-230ish. Don't do many drops but like flowing technical single track which tends to get rocky and rooty in my area...

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Easy..... Go here and let Mike build you a set....

http://www.lacemine29.com/

He has done two sets for me (I'm 6' / 225 lbs), and both wheels are still perfect after almost a year of riding rocky, rooty trails on my HT 29er.....

He does quality work....

*BTW --- My wheels are Stan's Flows with DT Swiss Comp spokes/nips and Hope Pro 2 hubs..........

Former Bike Wrench
    Yep, go handbuilt...always superior to pre-fab wheels. A good wheelbuilder will take your size, riding style, and budget into account and set you up with a sweet set of hoops.

Underskilled
    36 spokes provide more support to the rim than 32, so you can get away with a lighter rim (or like me, get the strongest rim you can and really trust it).

sheldons website gives a ton of info on wheels.

For cheapish stuff you can trust, factory built Halo Freedom wheels are very good value, stiff, strong, stiff, fast and very stiff.

My current wheels use Kris Holm Freeride (not the usual XC) rims, 36 double butted spokes onto shimano saint rear and hope pro 2 front hubs. very very shiny.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    36 spokes provide more support to the rim than 32, so you can get away with a lighter rim (or like me, get the strongest rim you can and really trust it).

Good point, I thought about this after I posted...i just did wanna hear about 28 spoked rims...

mtbr member
    I finally went with Stan's Flows with DT Swiss Comp spokes and X9 hubs.. I only have a couple rides on 'em and I'm thoroughly impressed...the hubs free wheel very well and the rims are nice and stiff with a good width which allow the tires to lay down a good foot print...

" width="549">

At this point I would say these are Clyde friendly!!!
    Last edited by zenkem; 02-14-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0