Clydeosaur

Wow, actual progress!

Okay, so it's overall baby step progress but it's still progress!

Since I picked up my redline d440 a couple of weeks ago I've been on it instead of my comfort bike. And since last friday my rides have all been in the dirt at the local county park mtb trails. (Quiet Waters park in south florida).

I didn't ride Tuesday to give my legs a bit of rest and I didn't ride Wednesday because I had too much to do. By this morning I could already feel the old "man I'm too tired, I should just sleep and take it easy" mindset starting to take root again. Not good.

So I kicked my self in my posterior and put on my riding shorts and went to the garage. For today's steed I chose the 'ol comfy bike. I have a new stem coming in for the redline which will hopefully make it a bit more comfortable on the road and I wanted to see if I could tell a difference.

Oh yeah, there's a difference. My comfy bike is a 2002ish Gary Fisher capitola. Not a high performance steed by any means but it gets the job done. Here's what I noticed:

- First the comfy bike seat & post are too comfy. After a couple of weeks on the redline my first thought on the comfy seat was "this sucks!". Too soft, too squishy, too hard to plant yourself to control the bike. The suspension seat post is too variable (although I'm pretty sure I have that sucker pegged all the way down when I'm on it).

- I really do love the conti town & country's I have on that bike. Sure wish they made them in a 29er version.

- I still like the upright position for cruising but found myself getting back to my old form when I was cranking for speed or to fight the wind.

- South Florida coastal wind sure is great for getting a workout. Stupid wind.

- I'm using my bigger gears more. The bike's a 21 spd. I typically stay on my middle ring and rarely, if ever, move off of it. Hey, it's South Florida - we're not known for elevation. Normal rides on my home loop I've been in the middle ring/middle range on the rear with some drops to the low gears when the wind got really bad. Today I was mostly on my two highest gears (with a couple of drops to the mid gears for wind issues) and I probably should have moved to my big ring for some of the ride.

- I added 3/4 to a mile to my ride in the same time period and my avg & max speeds increased! My distance today was double what I was able to do a month or two ago when I got on my bike. I could have gone further but still have time mgmt issues in the morning with getting ready for work.

So I had a great start to my day after fighting off a case of the lazies. My riding skills are definitely coming back and I'm seeing real progress in my rides. I'm pleased to report I'm in the process of outgrowing my comfort bike!

Still quite a ways to go. I won't talk riding time/distance since it's fairly pathetic and I'm frustrated with myself. We'll just say that "back in the day" it was not unusual to hit 20 miles of decent off road trails after work. Yeah, that's not happening right now. And plenty of weight needs to come off.

So now I'm thinking "road" bike. Which to me means a good asphalt mtb style bike. I've been eyeing that Kona Smoke 29er...

http://www.konaworld.com/09_smoke_en.cfm

That's it. I was inspired and just wanted to share! Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

BIG and Bald
    Skip the Smoke and go for something in the Dew lineup.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Clydeosaur
    My lbs is a kona dealer. I'm going to start trying all of them out (smoke, dew, dew plus). But I tend to prefer steel frames to aluminum in general. I'll see how it goes. Have to sell my boat first.

BIG and Bald
    What kind of boat do you have? I'm kind of in the market for a boat right now.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Clydeosaur

i did it again! :)

Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    What kind of boat do you have? I'm kind of in the market for a boat right now.
    Small shallow water flats skiff called a gheenoe. www.customgheenoe.com

Great for backcountry fishing. But with three kids ranging from 6yrs to 5 months old I don't have the time for it. When I get a chance to go fishing I either wade or take my kayak.

On topic - I fought off the "I really want to stay in bed and sleep" feeling and took my bike to the local park and did a short trail ride before work!

It's nice that we have a gym at work so I can make this a habit.

Drive to park 10 - 15 minutes
    Ride - 20 - 30 minutes (cut it a little late this morning so 20)
    Drive to work 10 - 15 minutes
    Be at work around 9, open office, login
    Head down to gym and grab a shower
    Back up and running by 9:30 or so

Yes, this could work out!