mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Would this bike be ok for me?

Hi there! I am a big clyde looking to get his first bike in years. I am 6'7" 330#. I went to my LBS and was looking around at the bikes they have in stock.

I am looking around a $500 price range and they two bikes the guy recommended was the Trek Wahoo or the Trek 3700. Does anyone know if these would be ok? I don't plan on doing any abusive riding. Mostly pavement and some dirt for now until I get into better shape and trust that I wont break the bike on the first pothole!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you stick to light riding on pavement and groomed dirt either bike will work to help you drop some weight. I started on a deparment store k2 at 308lbs and used it to start my weight loss. I would recommend you try brands other than Trek for fit before you buy just to make sure the Trek geometry feels the best. The specs of most $500 bikes are similiar so look for the best fit.

mtbr member
    I agree with 1533clydesdale... Try several different brands if possible and pick the one that feels best. My biggest concern for you would be finding a big enough frame. I know Specialized does (or at least used to) an XXL frame. You may want to look at the low end 29ers as well, as the bigger wheels will probably feel more natural.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Would this bike be ok for me?

That's great advice. I will keep that in mind and check out a few of the other LBS in the area. We have Cannondale, giant, GT, specialized, and Trek/Gary fisher in our area.

Among these brands would anyone have a standout?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Would this bike be ok for me?

Considering my weight, should I prefer disc brakes over the V breaks? I know they have more stopping power but the only 29ers I've seen in my budget range have V brakes. Only the $600+ have disc brakes that I've seen so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Not too many people ride with v-brakes anymore no matter what their weight.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I am a similar (although not the same) build to you I am 6'5" and when I first got on the bike this year I weighed 250lbs+ I picked up a 29er Wahoo with a 23" frame and I have very little weakness in the bike. Although I am a lighter rider I ride very hard. The cable disc breaks are awesome for breaking as well. My friend who has the 3700 (26") enjoys it, but does regret not going with the wahoo. The 3700 seems to be "squisher" he says. I believe he weighs around 250 as well. Also if you do decide to go with a Wahoo 29er don't get the 23" frame unless your inseam is 36 or more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well, I picked up a Giant Revel 29er lvl1! It was $20 cheaper than the hardrock and felt a tad better. (maybe the price felt a tad better? lol). Time to put it to good use