Thread: Won a new bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Won a new bike!

I have been lurking here for a while trying to figure out what bike I wanted to get. Well, a LBS here had a contest where you gave them your stats and the reason you needed a new bike. I won the second place e prize of any 2013 model bike under $800. Plus they threw in some gear as well. I am pleased with the 2013 Specialized Rockhopper XXL I chose. I haven't rode in a LONG time, but as the saying goes, you never forget how to ride. I have recently lost 90 pounds and am excited to have another tool to get in better shape. I am currently 6'4", 255 lbs. Can anyone suggest some baggies that come in a 38"-40" waist? Also, any problems with the Specialized RH I need to watch for? The LBS only sells Specialized and Felt, so choices were limited and I had heard a lot of good stuff about the RH.

Thanks

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Problems with the bike... wheels. Other than that, ride it like you stole it. And congrats on the nice win!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike and I love it.. the heavy wheels and the fork are definitely the weak points, but at 235 geared up it takes my abuse just fine.. I feel like you definitely should have gone with the XL frame.. im 6'3 and it fits me slightly oversized. pretty much everyone makes baggies for 38" waist, I buy mine at ***** sporting goods because theyre cheap.. 100$ fox shorts? yeah right. have fun out there!
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    lmao the site is censoring the name of the store. d--I--c--k--s
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the info. I didn't think to look at Richards for baggies. I may check Academy as well. I am kinda built weird. With the xxl I still have the clearance when standing over the bike. The xl felt too small when I cranked. The LBS let me demo them on dirt so I run both back to back. The xxl just felt better. I am definitely looking forward to getting back to riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin4185 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I didn't think to look at Richards for baggies. I may check Academy as well. I am kinda built weird. With the xxl I still have the clearance when standing over the bike. The xl felt too small when I cranked. The LBS let me demo them on dirt so I run both back to back. The xxl just felt better. I am definitely looking forward to getting back to riding.
    yeah Richards has nishiki brand baggies with a built in padded liner, I bought 2 pairs for 55$ or so when they were on sale.. and they pretty good! Considering I ride 5 times a week, I couldn't bring myself to spend 100$ on shorts and get several pairs or wash mine a few times a week.. too much effort lol

and im glad u went with what feels right! have fun out there!
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Got the Richards brand shorts and some fox shorts. Ride about the same, but the fox seem to be bullit proof other than some fading from washing. The fox do seem slim fitting. My 36" waists are snug on the Clyde thighs.
    Congrats on a really good bike.

mtbr member
    Great job on wining the contest. I too, ride a XXL and love it @ 6'4". It is the most comphy bike that I have ever been on. Enjoy it.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am still looking for some baggies. There are no LBS that stock anything larger than a large and I have to pay up front with a 20% restocking if they dont fit. I am thinking maybe Amazon might be the place to go. Any suggestions on some brands that run true to size?

mtbr member
    I've started using the nishiki liners under regular shorts. This does great for me. I just like having real pockets for going into stores and stuff. Go up a size in fox, they come in waist sizes like pants. The pearl Izumis I have run maybe a tad big if anything. My experience with baggies is that they feel about the same in comfort regardless of brand. Some just last longer. With road tights its different. Never wear a nice pair unless committed to buying several pairs.