mtbr member
    May 2014

Witch one should I pick on a budget?

I'm 6'4/6'5 255lbs looking for my first bike, not looking to sell my soul for one. ride dirtbikes quite frequently looking for some extra fitness. Here is what I have found, opinions welcome. Newb here be easy on me ha.

Trek Bike 8.3 ds 29er Mountain Bicycle

2014 Marin Pioneer Trail 29er MTB

2008 Jamis Parker Mountain Bike

Genesis 29

Mountain bike 29"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Can anyone tell me if any of these are good deals? big enough for me? things to look out for? never had a bike before

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry to say that none of what you have listed will work for you. They are all too small. I just bought my first mtb after months of researching. As a newb myself, I think I have somewhat figured it out. I am also 6'4", 250lbs. I looked on craigs list and ebay for 3 months and only found 3 bikes the right size. You need a 22-25" frame size. Different companies measure differently which is why I quoted a range. A 21" frame will be too small, unless you have short legs for your height. I wear a 36" pants leg inseam as a reference and I bought a 22" frame. Most used bike adds don't even list the frame size. If it doesn't say XL, then skip it. Next criteria is front fork. At our weight (>200lbs) we need an air fork or we need to change the spring to stiffer one, get the air fork. After 3 months I found one bike that fit the criteria and was selling for $700. I found a better bike brand new for $900, so I bought it. Will be delivered this week.

Assuming you want an entry level bike that will work for someone your size and weight, you should buy what I bought, an Airborne Seeker bike. They have a $600 bike that I almost bought, but no air fork and would need the stiffer fork spring change for me. They have more $$ bikes, that are great as well, but I am not at a level where I need any of that and the budget didn't need to be stretched any more than necessary.

All the major bike brands have a similar model bike, it lists for about $500 more than the airborne bike. Depending on the discount from the shop, it maybe close. With airborne, they mail them to you and you have to mount the handle bars and a couple of other parts. That was fine for me to realize the savings. I called them up and they had me measure myself and felt confident on the size frame I was buying. If i was smaller and was in between frame sizes, then not being able to ride the bike at at store would be a disadvantage, but not in "our"case.