Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter riding who else is doing it?

Like the title says, any of you doing any winter riding this season? So far my coldest day out was -27C. The water bottle froze in 10 minutes or so

I am running a set of Nokian studded tires. They are doing ok on ice and snow that is up to about 5 inches deep. Traction has been fine in snow, its just reall slippery going over frozen ice ruts carved out by snowmobiles. The studded tires have really high rolling resistance and are real loud on pavement but otherwise seem ok.

Heres a couple of seasonal pics.
    ...edit to add, I will come back and post pics when I hit 10 posts..thought it was 5 only!

mtbr member
    Some pics

Heres the bike, its cold out, but no snow on the ground

Studded Nokians

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've been riding also. I put Kenda studded tires on an old mountain bike and have been having a blast riding the rural dirt and gravel roads. Today, with wind chill, it was effectively 12F, but I layered up in my cross country ski gear, otherwise useless due to lack of snow, and went out to enjoy a really nice day. I'm finding that, as the temp has been getting to the high 30's with lots of sun, that I need to finish my ride by about noon as the nicely frozen roads start to turn to mud about then.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    you guys are crazy.

My winter riding is.......I wont go out unless it is over 30...and its only on the road bike.

Living in salt lake if we get a snow storm, it is a real snow storm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=While At Rome;8990903..............Living in salt lake if we get a snow storm, it is a real snow storm.[/QUOTE]

Well... if I lived in Salt Lake, I wouldn't be riding either. I'd be cross country skiing. Here in the midWest, we've had no snow that sticks, so my choices on the really nice sunny days we've been having are to either stay indoors and whine about the lack of snow
    or get on my winterized bike and ride.

turtles make me hot
    I ride all year. Last night, I did a solo night ride. It was 36 degrees but for some reason felt much colder. I ride my 29er in snow up to 5 inches. I just bought a fat frame so I can go out in most conditions.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edsterra View Post
    Well... if I lived in Salt Lake, I wouldn't be riding either. I'd be cross country skiing. Here in the midWest, we've had no snow that sticks, so my choices on the really nice sunny days we've been having are to either stay indoors and whine about the lack of snow
    or get on my winterized bike and ride.
    Not this year, you wouldn't be! (ok, we have enough to XC ski on, I suppose, but it's been very dry here, too).

I haven't been getting as crazy as the OP, but I've had several beautiful days to ride in January, although with temps between 40 and 50, sun and dry trails, it was hardly winter riding. A few other rides on intermittent snowpack down to about 25*.

I do commute as often as I can, and have been down to about 10* so far this year, but that's a different story.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    The worst bit is collapsing potholes on the road. I try and stick to the trails. The disc brakes seem to hold up well in the cold. I have found that slush and mud will freeze up on the rear derailer abit, otherwise shifting is mostly ok, occasionally if in one gear to long ice ridges can form causing some problems.

Going out again tommorow, we are getting a bit snow storm and its dropping to -20C again. Should be fun.

Former Bike Wrench
    I ride all year around, but we rarely get snow...mostly mud. But on occasion it can get coldish (in the 20's F)

Lord Thunderbottom
    IDK that I call this year winter but I'm still out a few times a week

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Yes-3-4x a week. But no snow! Coldest I'll ride in is 30. Lower and I stay indoors and have a bourbon!

mtbr member

Awesome Winter.....

I had been riding at least twice a week here in St. Louis. No Snow but rain has made the trails muddy the last few weeks. Coldest I'll go out is 10 degrees w/wind chill. The singletrack is "Rocket Fast" when frozen. Supposed to be 9 degrees tomorrow so I'll probably suck it up and ride!

Don't try this at home.
    We did a 10mi ride through a couple inches of snow a few days after Christmas. Since then I have been out a few other times. Most recently was 02/06/12. It was warm enough that it didn't really feel that wintery. There were some icy spots though, that gave me tingly wingly when I rode over'em! This pic is from my ride Monday.

mtbr member

Our big snow of the year... so far...
    I live within 7 miles of the coast (West, Northern California) so we don't see much snow here... mostly rain.

When I lived in Fairbanks, AK, I would ride down to -20 then start driving my truck to UAF.

Not sure if I like riding in snow more than mud... might have to go find some snow and relive the experience!

mtbr member
    This Winter has been more like Spring here in Missouri. Only one real snowfall so far. Lots of mud; I need to put some fenders on my bike. I only ride if it's above freezing, but we've had lots of those days this year.
    Vaya con bicicleta

I'm SUCH a square....
    Like every other year, I only stop riding when there's ICE down; BTW, I commute on my MTB, year round....

December '09 was my only serious accident on icy surfaces; cracked my left ankle catching slide-out. FINALLY scored a set of studded Schwalbe's this year!

Cold? Rode an hour to work in January '09, -5F, -35 windchill. Sure, it hurt; so what? I RODE! Pedaling (and my kids) is what makes life worth living!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes but I live on the Gulf Coast....so it doesn't count. It was a high of 41 yesterday, which is cold for us.

mtbr member
    We did a 10mi. ride today in a chilly 11 degrees

mtbr member
    This is my winter riding:

Indoor Trials Practice - YouTube

mtbr member
    I ride all year, so far this year my coldest day has been -26F, I commute and my ride in the winter takes 60-90 minutes depending on conditions and snow depth.
    I also take out the 29er just for fun on the occasional weekend and Xmas holidays. Would really like a fatbike for the snow though.
    Here's a 3 minute video of parts of my commute.

WinterCommute - YouTube
    My car has a Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatroXcuatro View Post
    I ride all year, so far this year my coldest day has been -26F, I commute and my ride in the winter takes 60-90 minutes depending on conditions and snow depth.
    I also take out the 29er just for fun on the occasional weekend and Xmas holidays. Would really like a fatbike for the snow though.
    Here's a 3 minute video of parts of my commute.

WinterCommute - YouTube
    Nice video. Was wondering you ever have some snow you cant ride in? This weekend I tried to go through a trail that was only a few inches deep, not bad at all. But the snow was really heavy and thick. Couldnt get any traction at all just sank, squirmed and slipped. First time ive had snow that made me turn back. Went to the beach instead and road on ice sheets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been riding but my coldest has been 30d F. Now before you call me a sissy, I was only wearing shorts (and upper body covering) - no long pants/leg coverings. It was nippy. I prefer the warmer weather to be honest, but I can't stop riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just rode in the 40mph snow gusts here on Saturday. Sure it was cold, but it's not something a nice steep hill can't solve! Warm ya right up fast!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm in Florida so yes I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel29 View Post
    Nice video. Was wondering you ever have some snow you cant ride in? This weekend I tried to go through a trail that was only a few inches deep, not bad at all. But the snow was really heavy and thick. Couldnt get any traction at all just sank, squirmed and slipped. First time ive had snow that made me turn back. Went to the beach instead and road on ice sheets.
    It can get to the point where the snow slows you down so much you just can't move. Snowdrifts on a windy day are bad an you end up doing the hike-a-bike thing to get over them. I would like to try a fat bike, regular MTB tires, studded, fat, skinny, low pressure, whatever, just don't work in the deep stuff.

Last year we got a lot of snow, made riding impractical some days, at least until a snowplow runs through and makes life easy again.

My car has a Park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast