mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Winter Jacket? 20-40degrees

Looking for a winter jacket fit for a clyde for riding in 20-40 degree weather. I'm 6'1" 260lbs. Only one I know will prob fit is the Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Jacket in 2XL but I'm seeing mixed reviews of it regarding wearing it below 35 degrees. What winter jackets has been working out for you guys when it gets really cold? Thanks.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Almost all bike clothing is light weight and designed to be worn with other layers. This often means wool near the skin with a jersey or other favorite over then some type of wind and or rain outer jacket. This system allows you to regulate temp better but it is expensive! I just bought a pair of thermal bibs a jacket and a wool long sleeve shirt and spent almost $300.00 What ya gonna do? Still need a bottom wind layer as i was out today and the legs got chilly. Check universal cycles they will have something to fit you and enough stuff to browse
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

MSH
    mtbr member
    I have a few but usually grab my Gore Phantom. Problem is Gore jackets probably won't work for you, as they run a bit small. I'm 6' a and 183 these days. I would check Louis Garneau. They have a Clydes line and jackets up to XXXL. Good luck!
    Last edited by MSH; 12-07-2012 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Almost all bike clothing is light weight and designed to be worn with other layers.
    Exactly.

It's all about the layers. My ridding jacket is very thin and light but it's more than enough to keep me warm around 30-40 degrees combined with layers. In fact, all my layers are very thin individually but they add up.

Anyhow, Here is what I use in a 3X.

Men’s UA Catalyst Lightweight Wind Jacket | 1232879 | Under Armour US

turtles make me hot
    I have a Trek jacket that fits me well. It looks light but I layer it up as the temp drops and it works fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I use a XXL REI breathable rain shell as a my outer most layer and then add more underneath as temperature and conditions dictate. It works from 55 down to 15 ish. I use different combos of base layers, summer jerseys, arm warmers and fleece. My biggest rule is no cotton layers in the winter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use the Pearl Elite Thermal Barrier Jacket with Pearl Elite Thermafleece Bib Tights. I'd recommend them for those temps. You can add and subtract base layers as the temps dictate.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't have one yet, but plan to buy a GORE Phantom jacket based on features and reviews.