Thread: Winter Boots

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Winter Boots

Just recently ordered a pair of the Lake MXZ303 and 45NRTH Wolvhammer winter boots to compare. I haven't decided which to keep yet but thought it'd be useful information for fellow clydes. The Lakes (size 50 wide) and Wolvs (size 50) fit exactly the same. For reference I wear a Sidi 50 and a Shimano 51. Both the Lake and Wolv had ample room for a thick wool sock too. Soles are exactly the same as can be seen in the pics. Wolve is heavier at 940 grams compared to 830 for the Lakes (one shoe, not pair). Weight is due to more insulation and the Wolvs feel noticeably warmer wearing them around the house. Lakes are also very warm though. I haven't tried any other winter boots because no one else makes a 50, but both boots looks to be much warmer than other "winter" shoes. Pics linked below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10207...ODlqqr12Yi36QE

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own both. Wolv's are nice and more comfortable. My toes still get cold with the Wolv's even though they claim they are supposed to be a lot warmer. I guess if you want to save $100 I'd go with the Lakes. Lake's BOA's tend to dig in around my ankle a bit more. Tough call.
    If you trek through deep snow at times I'd get the Wolv's. The Lake's don't go up your ankle as far and you could get snow inside your boot....which sucks azz.

turtles make me hot
    I just posted in Fat Bike threads that I purchased the Lakes today. This particular shop had them and Sidi Diablos in 50. The Diablos actually fit me better in a 49, but the Lakes felt like they'd be warmer and they were actually easier to put on and take off.
    Just went for a night ride in like 33 or 34 degrees. My feet were toasty warm.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have ridden a set of Northwaves for the past two winters. A size 48 walking shoe fits me great with one layer of wool socks, and I got the 'waves in a size 49. They're sloppy loose. Put two pair of thin wool socks in there and they start to tighten up. Two thick pair or the thin pairs with a pair of electric socks and they fit snugly...and are good to below zero in the warmth department.