mtbr member

Will my fork take my weight?

Hello all

I bought my bike to get out more and assist my diet while getting fit! The only problem is that I weigh 300 lbs. I have a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009 with a Tora SL 100 fork. I am mainly doing some road and simple forrest trails (family cycle tracks until I can loose 50lbs maybe!), no intense downhill, will this fork be ok for my weight or should I change it?
    I have set it as per the manual by adjustung the settings, so far it seems fine but just wanted to get some experienced opinions.
    I did place this in the Specialized forum and it seemed most people thought it would be ok for the riding I want to do for now and that I should be more worried about the wheels buckling?

I did go to my local Specialized Concept store and they said the bike would be fine, especially with a 2 year guarantee on the fork and lifetime on the frame, but they would say it's ok as they thought I was looking to buy one!

Thanks
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think you'll be fine. The Tora SL is an XC fork, versus the more clydes-popular 318, which is listed by SRAM as a "trail" fork. It's a bit lighter, but still, a tough fork. Is it air or spring? If it's sprung, you may need to replace the spring with a stiffer one. If it's solo air, you'll need to adjust the air pressure. Also, a great recommendation is to tie a zip tie around the stanchion to see how much of the travel you use. Even at 250lbs or so, my Tora 318 solo air is at 160psi or lower. I don't do enough craziness on the trails to eat up any more travel.

Also, I second the wheelset upgrade. My stock c'daleI had WTB SX24 rims laced onto some cheapo shimano centerlock hubs. I threw it out of true twice in less than 600 miles. I got a great Hope Pro II on Mavic EN521 rims off of ChainReactionCycles.com for $300ish (added a cassette, rim tape, and disc rotors - turned into $340). You'll have to monitor the site, since the exchange rate plays a big role in the deal-factor.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comment. The fork is spring. How hard is it to repalce them and where should i look? I am in the UK.

Should I buy new wheels now or see how I get on?
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

Making fat cool since '71
    Ride the wheels until you *have* to replace them. Lots of inexpensive options abound if you are not jumping/riding really aggressively. For the riding you mention you are fine on that fork. I would hope there's a bike shop close to you that can help you find a spring, but if there isn't one you like to deal with then on-line places are your shot. There isn't a stock spring made for 300# riders, but you can get the heaviest and with enough riding you'll be down close in no time. Replacing spring stacks and oil is very straightforward and easy if you are a competent person with wrenching/tinkering. I thought the Tora SL was an air or air & coil combo fork? Been wrong before though!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you have the coin for a new wheelset, or the use for two, then go ahead with the purchase now. I bought the second wheelset for more trail riding (WTB weirwolfs and velociraptors). I put less nobby tires on the old WTB wheelset for more street riding. If you're not fully committed to the sport, or if you're not looking to drop another few hundred on a wheelset, I would just keep what you have, and check often. Also, make sure to have your wheels checked after the initial "break-in" period, as the bike would most likely have come with machine-built wheels.

Since you are in the UK, I can't speak to CRC's value. I just know they have free shipping to the US for orders over $230, and the exchange rate was severely in my favor when I bought. My LBS quoted me $400 without cassette or rim strips, CRC got it to me for $340 shipped, with cassette, rim strips, and rotors. Could also be that Hope is a UK brand, too.

mtbr member
    I think I will look into some new wheels, seriously thinking of just getting a 200 non suspension bike to use on the road untill I can shift 50 lbs, don't want to brake my new bike for being to heavy
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Woah woah woah. Hold on a bit. Your fork is fine for your weight. As for your wheelset, if it does break, I would worry about bodily damage versus hurting the rest of your bike. Still, a 200 rigid bike will likely have a worse wheelset, so you're not really gaining anything there. I started around 280lbs, and I carry about 2L of water + tools. I started on a cannondale F7 with really crappy RST Gila T8 forks, which held up, but was far from being decent.

Before every ride or so, make sure there are no broken spokes, and spin your wheels to check to see if they are true. Should take a total of 20 seconds. Start on roads, and gradually move up. I'm guessing you can do some pretty serious XC with those wheels, so long as you keep them in check.

Just keep on riding, and adjust your terrain as you feel comfortable and safe.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, I have adjested my fork as stated in the manual now, I will keep checking the wheels. I have a rubbing noise from my front discs but this can be normal for new creak I have read, will give them a few rides see if it settles down
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    You should be fine with that bike. I'm 6'5" 300# and got the '08 version last year. It survived and I've beaten on it pretty good, flying down rocky hills plus zooming over roots, stones, and whatever else was on the trail. It has the RS Tora 302, which is working well for me. Was kinda hoping to break it so I could have a reason to invest in a FS bike but looks like I might have to wait a little longer

mtbr member
    Thanks for that Giant, does the 08 have the same wheels as the 09? How are they holding up for you?

Cheers
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride currently at 265 but have been upwards of 285 so I realize the concern of being too big for your bikee. The first thing I noticed is that I could bottom out my fork with the stock springs because they are made for someone that weighs 160 or something crazy like that...I weighed that in 8th grade. You can always replace the springs but that can run you around 50 bucks if you can't do it yourself. I opted to buy a better fork and looked around and got the 318 solo air for 200 bucks and it has been a great change...so consider those options.

As for the wheels, ride them till they break...after 2 years of solid riding my rear is a little out of true and I am looking to build a custom set but ride em till you need to replace because I would go with a better fork before a new wheel set but that is my opinion

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrrikki
    Thanks for that Giant, does the 08 have the same wheels as the 09? How are they holding up for you?
    Not sure if they are the same, but I haven't broke anything on the bike yet.

29 some of the time...
    I can't comment much on the components. Usually at this level it is hit or miss depending on if you get a Monday/Friday build. The frame is very clyde friendly. I had one in 2006 and did everything from xc to dh races and took it out dirt jumping in the middle of all that. I had the pro and used either a revelation or a pike fork. Never any issue. One other guy at my last dh series was running one as well in the hardtail class.

As others have said, if you aren't doing anything particularly aggressive you have nothing to worry about. Stuff will break and wear quicker under your weight, but I wouldn't live in fear. If you are too troubled by the fork or it isn't stiff enough I would recommend a Surly Instigator rigid fork. It will maintain the geometry of the bike. I think getting a cheap bike for road will only cause you more grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I think In will just ride it and loose weight and regularly check the wheels.
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009