mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Width of crank set (pedal lateral separation)?

This forums is superbly helpful!

I got my road bike tire issues ironed out and put about 24 miles on the bike yesterday. The reason I turned around was pain in my right knee. Much of the ride, I felt like I wanted my right foot to be at least half an inch to an inch farther away from the center of the bike for the leg to work properly. It felt like having my foot too close to the center line of the bike made my knee work at an incorrect angle, and everything was wrong because of it. Besides the inefficiency, the joint just couldn't carry the loads properly. The outside of my knee joint ended up with a burning sensation, including the outer upper calf muscle. I'm familiar with cramping muscles, and while there may have been a little bit of overwork on the muscle, it felt more like general inflamation related to the joint.

I've felt this to a lesser extent in the past on my MTB, but there is a lot more variation in use with uphill, downhill, hike a bike, standing, etc. On the road, if there's a problem, it's pretty much sustained through the ride.

It seems logical that my 6'4" frame is just going to have a wider spread on foot position than a 5' 8" frame. Walking on a flat or climbing a mountain, my foot placement is likely to be farther apart laterally than a smaller person. I've searched, but not found anything related to pedals with longer spindles or crank arms with greater offset.

Any advice?

It's also clear that my shoes are a problem. They have plenty of length, but the internal "ceiling height" of the toe box is too low, and that causes issues with my big toes being pinched. Again, something I've noticed in the past, but not to the point I couldn't just suck it up and have fun. I plan to buy better shoes, and will see how they improve the knee situation if at all.

One thought is to just buy a good set of off-road shoes and use them for on-road, so whatever improvement is realized will automatically transfer to dirt as well.

I'm a fan of Sidi for motorcycle boots. Any other specific recommendations for Clyde shoes? I'm only size 13 in most athletic shoes, so 48 Euro should work, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You need to be looking up 'Q Factor', which is basically the width of the cranks where the pedals screw in. Lots out there about it, and rod bikes tend to have a narrower / smaller Q Factor than mountain bikes.

As for new shoes - you NEED to try them on. All manufacturers have different fits (wider/narrower/length etc) and shoe size is no indicator across manufacturers.

Have you tried changing the position of the cleats in your shoes? Possibly moving them inboard so your feet sit wider?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got these on order.

Amazon.com: Sunlite Pedal Extenders for 9/16" Cranks - 21mm Length: Sports & Outdoors

Found some others with actual marketing materials associated, that said they are for riders having outside knee pain. That's me! I'll post up with how it works.