mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Where to get xxl bike...

I have been looking for an 29er with a xxl size frame. I am 6'5" 290 and want a bike that fits. I saw the 25" xxl 29er Asylum at speedgoat.com last Nov and it was less than $3,000. I went to their website last night (finally ready to commit) and it was $5,000. Whoaa! I cant afford that so I started reading here and found that Specialized makes a 29er with 23 inch frame. Not sure if it would be big enough but the price is better at $1600. I cant find it available anywhere though. New 2008 model and all. I looked at the Titus 29er and there prices are $5,000 now also. And they seem to have stopped offering the xxl size frame. I dont know enough about bikes to make my own with a xxl frame (that is available from speedgoat), so what do I do. I have a 22" Trek 950 from 1990 that is too small for me. I want to get a good bike that I can ride comfortably. I intend to use the bike to ride myself into better physical fitness and do some weekend trail riding. Until reading here, I didnt even know that bikes were made to fit me. Now I want one. Just not for $5,000. Any suggestions as to which bike would be good for me and where to get it. Thanks for any insights you may offer.

mtbr member
    The Kona Kula 2-9 comes in a 22" XXL size, the MSRP is 2299 so it seems to be in your price range. You'll probably want to swap out the cassette for one with a 34t big cog especially since its a 29er.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm 6'5" and only recently have dipped below your weight. I ride a Giant Reign that I think it fits me pretty well.

Turner has made what they call a "Sasquatch" size in some of their bikes like the 5 Spot which was supposedly an XXL, but I also have heard they have recently made their bikes a bit smaller. Maybe someone can elaborate on this further because I don't honestly have the actual details of that. Or you could just call Turner yourself and ask.

I also recently rode a Yeti 575 that actually felt to big for me although it did have a Thomson layback post. I would also check into their weight rec's for that particular bike before buying one. It did ride very nicely though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes the Turner 5 Spot is really badass. Full Suspension and comes I think as big as 24". But get ready to lay out some cash. About $2000 for just the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Maverick Durance full-susp comes in a XXL. 26" wheels only though, and complete bikes start at $4K (and go up from there).

-Darrin

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Turner Sultan would be a good 29'er for you, he makes about all his bikes in the xxl size. It ain't cheap, but I bet Larry at Mtn High Cyclery in Loveland, Co could do one in the mid 3000 range. He does plenty of mail order setups for people on mtbr.

NMBP
    Zinn bikes, banner at the top of this very page. Will probably be more than you want to spend, but worth looking into.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.