mtbr member

Where? 29.8mmX400mm black setback seat post? Or a UK Online store?

Hi,
    I've been looking for a set back 29.8mm by 400 (or anything longer than 350mm) for weeks. I don't want to shim. Seems there two posts, a PUSH Seatpost and a X-Tas-Y Hook Seat Post available. But I only find them available in the UK.

Do you know where in the US they would be available or a good UK online bike shop that ships to the USA?

Thanks
    SB.
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Former Bike Wrench
    Wow...I can match 2 of the 3 but not all three requirements

Thompson has a 410mm 29.8...but only make that size in strait

Kalloy Uno has a 29.8 and set back clamp...but only in 350mm

Looks like the UK might have your business

mtbr member

Yep

Its a tough one. I have to have a straight set back b/c I'm using in on a street tandem, and the stoker stem is going on there too. I'm 208 lbs and don't want to stress that frame point. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    29.8mm isn't a standard seatpost size - even Thomson don't do one!

I'd think that with that length of seatpost, a layback would put all sorts of unnatural stresses and strains and that length combined would be death for seatpost.

I have a FSA FR-200 seatpost which is 420mm from CRC. No proper layback, but there you are - check your diameter too.

mtbr member

Ok

Yeah, its a 29.8. Its a fairly common size for Tandems. All I need is another inch, so it's not really going to stress it all that much more than it's already. Can't use any 0 offset seatpost at all. Thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    First thing I would do is curse the people who made your bike. 29.8 is retarded.
    Second I would accept that the only real choice is the Thomson. It's the best seatpost ever and since it's one of the only ones available in the correct diameter and length it's pretty much a no-brainer. 2/3 ain't bad

Additional options:
    Start measuring seat rails. You might be able to squeeze a little extra length out of one brand's saddle rather than another. A DH-oriented saddle might have slightly longer rails (that are proportionally stronger, which is good if you're going to run the seat at the back of the rails under a clyde pilot).
    Run a bit more sag in your rear shock to score that extra rearward bias.
    Run a slightly higher volume front tire. An extra 4mm of tire will add up to a surprising amount by the time you factor in the effect at the seat.
    A riser bar (or anything to prop you up and back a bit) might help.
    If you have adjustable chainstays (like on my V-Tach) this can be helpful in offsetting some of the weirdness of running a tall-guy seatpost height.
    Get a longer stem to maintain the correct cockpit length and accept your new found forwardness.

Being tall is weird. You'll have to compromise something. Or you'll have to do something unconventional to get the results you need.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but with tandems, 29.8mm seems to be almost common compared to mtn or road bikes. But you're right, it is wierd.

Your suggestion is good about the rails; I'll check em out. But still with a 0 offset as in the Thomson, I think I'd still be too forward in the cockpit.

If I can get a good UK online shop, I think that'll take care of the issue.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Buy a 27.2 post and use a shim.

I weigh a lot more than you and have used a shimmed post for over eight years.

mtbr member
    yeah, but then I have a stoker's stem on the seatpost too, so I'll have to get another shim. Starts getting ugly with that set up.........