mtbr member

Wheelsets/"Slicks"

I have a HKEK 06 and been doing a whole lot of riding in the urban setting, and decided to build me a 2nd wheel set and put some slicks on them. What would be a great pair of rims, spokes, 32 or 36 hub (begin that I'm a Big guy and everything), and slicks. Please be specific in brand and any other info that would be important to me. Thanks guys.
    [SIZE=2]No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time.
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    When you say "urban" do you mean commuting on roads and/or gravel paths or do you mean urban freeride (jumping off loading docks and riding down flights of stairs, etc.)
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    When you say "urban" do you mean commuting on roads and/or gravel paths or do you mean urban freeride (jumping off loading docks and riding down flights of stairs, etc.)
    if you're not hucking stairs n such, check out the deore/rhynolite wheelsets for around $120 at the various places like jensonusa.com. otherwise, you'll need some very sturdy rims (ie freeride), 36 spoke & 3-4x spokes.

for slicks, I really like my schwalbe 2.35 Big Apples. Roll super fast & have a huge air volume, so they're pretty comfy. The supermoto is a bit lighter and stickier, but not as sturdy, from what I understand.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Depends on your definition of "urban"...

If you mean strictly smooth asphalt and your building new, you might consider 700c wheels. If you ride off and hop curbs, stick with 26" rims and a 2-2.5 semi slick tire. If you're core and huck stairs, there are many beefy, welded seam 26" rims available. 36x3 cross spoke pattern works well for all but the most demanding riders. Maxxis Hookworms although heavy, are about as burly as you can get.

Lots of choices.. Good luck.
    This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules. -Walter Sobchak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    streets, trails, not that much jumping
    [SIZE=2]No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time.
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    yeah thats where i'am at. No jumps but if you could gimmie some more details on the rims
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by UNITH
    yeah thats where i'am at. No jumps but if you could gimmie some more details on the rims
    Sun Singletrack are stout. Sun Rhynolite XLs are decent as well, but more difficult to mount tires on. Mavic XM321 is another beefy rim without being too heavy. I run DT EX 5.1 rims and like them fine. They're sturdy but a lot lighter than the Singletrack. The DT E540 is similar to the EX 5.1, a bit heavier, less expensive, sleeved rather than welded, and made by Alex Rims. Larry at Mtn. High says they build up fairly nice. Lots of other choices out there.

If you're looking for a decent second wheelset without breaking the bank, I'd consider the XT/Sun Rhynolite XL or XT/Sun Singletrack wheelset at JensonUSA. Both are $160 or less. If you're planning to spend anything more than $200, you're better off talking to a competent wheelbuilder and having them put together something that fits in your budget. The wheels will be built much stronger and last a lot longer.

Good luck...