mtbr member
    Jul 2013

wheelset question

• Advice for a Clyde

I go about 242 pounds and looking for new wheelset.

I am pretty much down to these

1. Black Flag Comp
      2. Stans Flow
      3. Stans Arch

Stans are about $200 more.

The Stans are rated at 250 pounds and 230 pounds respectively.

No weight limit for Black Flag. I emailed Sun Ringle and they say they do not give weight rating as riding style must be considered.

I dont imagine I'd trash the Arch even though I'm 15 pounds over the limit.

For the same price I can go to the Flow but still no guarantee.

Flow weighs in at about 1/2 pound more. Weight not a major concern for me till I drop 30 pounds off the engine !!

FWIW: I ride cross country and a 1 foot drop is huge to me at the age of 67.
      So I don't "need" all mountain wheelset (Flow) but maybe overkill is erring on the side of caution.

mtbr member
    You don't mention the hubs of builder for either of the stans rim options...

But wider rims are better. Unless you are an xc weight weenie and running... not what I'd call serious off road tires, the Black Flags and Arch are too narrow for consideration. I'd look at sun chargers if you want to consider Sun.

You may not "need" an all mountain wheelset, but you probably don't need an XC set either, and at your weight, rim width and strength beats weight every time.

mtbr member
    I run SunRingle MTx33's. You can't hurt them and they are probably comparatively priced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've not damaged my Flows and I ride lardcore (heavy and a bit clumsy at times) - Arch are a bit lightweight for us bigger chaps. I'd have a look at Halo wheels as well - I had a pair for years and years and they were tough as old boots.

Two Wheeled Terror
    I run the Rhino Lite front wheel. So far it has been great and I ride mostly trails at 200lbs+ pack and such. Its a nice wide rim and was a great improvement over what I had. Not sure how much help this is though. Nashbar has a pretty good deal going on them.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You may not need an 'all mountain' wheelset, but the extra rim width is a plus for getting additional volume and it will be less prone to burping, not to mention yielding a better tire tread profile, out of a particular tire.

Still, I could see an Arch EX built with 2.0/1.8/2.0 butted spokes being fine for you, especially if you will be losing some of that . . . . . cushion. At 21mm inner width, the Arch EX is wide enough to run a 2.3" tire without much concern.

I know riders that are 67 and even older that ride pretty damn hard, and yet don't do drops over a foot. I know of one 67 year old riding a 29" Crest/355 wheelset, and he's probably in the 215lb +/- range, and he can motor quite well on an XC course to put it mildly. But he also doesn't run wide-ish tires (1.85 to 2.0). I wouldn't recommend that combo for him, but aside from possibly getting hurt, he can afford to replace them if something happens to them.

If your tolerance for risk is low, I'd go with the Flow EX, but if you have a little more tolerance for risk (relative to the Flow EX), the Arch EX is lighter and yet should likely be fine for you (especially if you don't try to go weight weenie on the spokes). JMHO, and let your own good judgment be your guide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just bought a set of DT Swiss M520 rims with DT 350 hubs heavy enough to handle big guys , but still light enough to xc race. Heavier rim and spokes... Super stiff!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been doing the same research.
    I started at 245 and i'm down to about 228.

My plan was to continue to lose weight and treat myself to a weanie wheelset for getting under 200 lbs. But i'm starting to think the peace of mind and durability of something like WTB i23 or Flows might be in the cards no matter how much I lose.

I dont race or have anything to prove so if my wheels ore 3% harder to pedal around and 20% tougher, I can bomb and drop care free and continue losing weight and building my motor...

My theory as of today - changes daily.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I weight aboute same as you.

I had a wheelset built up with

1. Shimano Zee Hubs, 32 spokes
    2. Mavic EN521 Rims
    3. straight gauge spokes

The result was night and day compared to the Shimano factory wheelset I was running.

The new set added about a poundof weight, but overall I think the benefits are worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand0n1 View Post
    I've been doing the same research.
    I started at 245 and i'm down to about 228.

My plan was to continue to lose weight and treat myself to a weanie wheelset for getting under 200 lbs. But i'm starting to think the peace of mind and durability of something like WTB i23 or Flows might be in the cards no matter how much I lose.

I dont race or have anything to prove so if my wheels ore 3% harder to pedal around and 20% tougher, I can bomb and drop care free and continue losing weight and building my motor...

My theory as of today - changes daily.
    I say good theory. Not worth it being a weight weenie. A bit heavier and stronger equals more reliability and less downtime.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen